Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 22,282 times

Advertisements

Well, let me join the crowd, and get my questions answered! Seems I have a lot in common with a lot of posters here! Currently living in SW FL, and it's time for a change. We looked at the gulf coast of TX, but we just didn't find it to our liking. We're planning a trip to the Mt. Vernon/Somerset area in a couple weeks to see how we like the area.

Home prices seem really good, and I'm reading that taxes are good as well. How about insurance rates, both homeowners and auto? Cell phone service? (Currently with T-Mobile) How about Internet service? Cable TV? (Hopefully cable modem for Internet). What's the best bank? We'll need a Vet for the dogs and cats, and what are the grocery stores?

If I can believe everything I read, crime is very low, and I'll probably have a bit of adapting to do to a small town again. I was raised in very small towns, but haven't lived in one in my adult life.

How should I pack to enjoy the first week in May, weather-wise?

Hope to meet y'all personally soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkkkatie View Post
Well, let me join the crowd, and get my questions answered! Seems I have a lot in common with a lot of posters here! Currently living in SW FL, and it's time for a change. We looked at the gulf coast of TX, but we just didn't find it to our liking. We're planning a trip to the Mt. Vernon/Somerset area in a couple weeks to see how we like the area.

Home prices seem really good, and I'm reading that taxes are good as well. How about insurance rates, both homeowners and auto? Cell phone service? (Currently with T-Mobile) How about Internet service? Cable TV? (Hopefully cable modem for Internet). What's the best bank? We'll need a Vet for the dogs and cats, and what are the grocery stores?

If I can believe everything I read, crime is very low, and I'll probably have a bit of adapting to do to a small town again. I was raised in very small towns, but haven't lived in one in my adult life.

How should I pack to enjoy the first week in May, weather-wise?

Hope to meet y'all personally soon!

If it were me, I would choose between London and Somerset. Mt Vernon is pretty small..so there are fewer restaurant, banking, retail etc. options than London/Somerset. Home prices in laurel county are very reasonable, especially compared to Florida. Property taxes are decent, but I think they will rise a little, considering they are building additional schools.
Cell phone service is fine here, if you go to far eastern KY there may be some difficulty, but I think you will be fine with TMobile. As far as Internet/Cable..I can't speak for Rockcastle county (mt vernon), but all of London/Laurel county has cable with high speed internet option. If you live in London and the surrounding area you will receive Time warner, outside of London is Charter (I think they sold and may have a new name). Banking..again speaking only for London, your choices are Cumberland Valley, First National, Laurel National and BB&T. Your grocery options boil down to Wal Mart and Krogers. There are a couple budget type grocery stores around here, Save a Lot comes to mind.
I wish I could give you good advice in regards to weather. However, you will learn that Kentucky weather is very inconsistent. In fact, it is 39 degrees today and this is mid April. So, normally I would recommend short sleeves with shorts/jeans..but pack your sweater and jacket just in case. Overall, if you like small town life, you will probably appreciate the area. If you want to visit a bigger city for shopping/culture, you are within a couple of hours from Lexington, Knoxville and Louisville.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,875 times
I have lived in Kentucky my whole life and I find your remarks very disgusting. If everyone you know smokes you are socializing with the wrong people. Everyone is not religous nuts. And if they perfer religion to other things on Wednesday's and sunday's what business is it of yours. Do you go to church? If you are dissatisfied with this area, my advice to you is to go back to the big city.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 16,055 times
Default yeah I always mess that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
London is in Eastern Kentucky..not western KY. We are at least 2 hours away from Mt Sterling. US 127 is towards Harrodsburg and Lawrenceburg..doesnt run close to here at all. There is actually a decent size middle class in the London-Corbin area. The only mountain backroads I know of are in clay, leslie counties and in the southeastern counties (harlan, bell).
I thought about the whole east west thing about two days after that post I always mess that up. I know that you are about two hours from mount sterling and that you may have to travel a little to get to 127. But with the events that take place in these places, the short amount of time to travel is well worth it. I don't know why you are so bitter on these two points as I was pointing them out as positives.
As for the country backroads and such, I don't know many people whom move into a town and never adventure out. If you venture far from london chances are good you will find a backwoods area, I was just warning them of rural etiquite. And not looking in the back of other people's trucks is just good manners.
Oh and I never said there wasn't a middle class I said the largest portion of them had moved into the area. As is typical for the region and fairly well describes all non-urban areas in the state.
Just to be clear this is a clearification not a retraction, if my original statement offended you, I beg your forgiveness. However, now that I have made my points more clear, if you are still offended, you need to come to grips with the fact that some peolpe have different veiws than you. Its a big step, I know, but you'll be all the better for it.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatHat View Post
I thought about the whole east west thing about two days after that post I always mess that up. I know that you are about two hours from mount sterling and that you may have to travel a little to get to 127. But with the events that take place in these places, the short amount of time to travel is well worth it. I don't know why you are so bitter on these two points as I was pointing them out as positives.
As for the country backroads and such, I don't know many people whom move into a town and never adventure out. If you venture far from london chances are good you will find a backwoods area, I was just warning them of rural etiquite. And not looking in the back of other people's trucks is just good manners.
Oh and I never said there wasn't a middle class I said the largest portion of them had moved into the area. As is typical for the region and fairly well describes all non-urban areas in the state.
Just to be clear this is a clearification not a retraction, if my original statement offended you, I beg your forgiveness. However, now that I have made my points more clear, if you are still offended, you need to come to grips with the fact that some peolpe have different veiws than you. Its a big step, I know, but you'll be all the better for it.
You didn't offend me at all. When someone misstates facts as much as you did..it's not hard to get a little defensive. I really wonder if you ever been to London/Laurel county anyway. Finally, I don't get bothered by diverse opinions, just by tools like you who come on here and bait for trouble.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 AM

88 posts, read 383,350 times
I'm not huge on eastern Kentucky, but London is about the only area I like. I would consider London proper, as well as anything within five miles of the city limits. That way, you'll still be close to Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, the cinema, two local high schools, two community college campuses, and (something I believe they have) a Lowe's. (There are also Lowe's stores nearby in Somerset and Corbin.) The other place I'd look into is Whitley County--Williamsburg or anything within five miles of it, to be exact. It is home to Wal-Mart and you're everyday, found-in-every-small-town fast food joint; it also has the University of the Cumberlands, which is a great school with a quaint but nice campus. However, there are no special eateries there. In that whole part of the state, unless you hit up Ruby Tuesday in London, your closest bets for neighborhood grill chains like Applebee's, O'Charley's, etc. are farther away in Richmond and Knoxville. Better shopping opportunities are also in Lexington and Knoxville. Some other "natural" advantages of living in southeast KY: the Pine Mountain Trail (currently under construction,) Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow Lake, Laurel River Lake, Cumberland Falls State Park, Pine Mountain State Park, and Kingdom Come State Park. ALL of these places must be visited and experienced by anyone who lives in or near SEKY. Also, the original KFC (Colonel Sanders Cafe) is an interesting and historical place to visit and eat. Lastly, I would avoid LIVING in Corbin, Somerset/Pulaski Co., and Barbourville/Knox Co. at ALL costs; those are not nice places at all, as they have backward-thinking leaders and, in my experience, some pretty rude folks. But, I'm sure someone disagrees with me on that point.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,770 times
Default Also looking in London/Corbin area

I work for a trucking company in Keavy, and my family and I are relocating to the Corbin/London area. I have been working for these folks for 3 yrs and have spent a lot of time there. It is a nice quiet area. We are relocating from the Atlanta Ga. area, and here are the reasons why;
1) Low crime, good schools, and affordable living
2) Good friendly people, who(despite some of the other city folks opinions) are basically decent, hardworking folks,
that don't like pushy outsiders telling them the "right" way to be. I have made several really good friends in the area, and have had no problems with socializing.
3) There are a lot of activities in the area, and a new event complex has started construction. There are movies,water parks, and all sorts of outdoor activities with out the brown haze we get in the ATL.
4)Schools ( post high school) are readily accessable,and numerous, most are off spring of larger University organizations.
5) The cost of living is very low. A family can do well without having second and third jobs, as a driver we will be able to have a life, not just an existance.
I don't know about some of these other posts, I have seen ( and work with) folks of different races, religions and all kinds of educational and social backgrounds in the area.
It is NOT a land of hicks and morons, with few redeeming social skills, or one that is so religious that it's stifiling. Laurel county is dry, but as a result of popular vote,not church edict.That may be influenced by church members,but many non-church goers I know in the area also voted to keep it that way ( you can get drinks at resturants, but there are no liquor stores as such).
These are my opinions, and a point of view of someone who has lived in big cities( NY,LA,and ST Louis), but who was raised in a small town, and knows his way around.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 PM

14 posts, read 101,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneva View Post
I have lived in Kentucky my whole life and I find your remarks very disgusting. If everyone you know smokes you are socializing with the wrong people. Everyone is not religous nuts. And if they perfer religion to other things on Wednesday's and sunday's what business is it of yours. Do you go to church? If you are dissatisfied with this area, my advice to you is to go back to the big city.

See this is what I mean. You can not even state your own opinion without being jumped on.

But, thanks for your advice... I have moved far far away from London and couldn't be happier

Old 07-20-2007, 05:03 AM

190 posts, read 812,003 times
Default Geeesh

Sounds like I'm jumping in here at a really good time.......or maybe bad? I gotta give my two cents, though. My future daughter-in-law (Nov. 10th is the date!) and two step sisters live in London. All three were raised in the area. Both my sisters are lesbian, and are openly raising families with their partners. According to them, they have received less prejudice there in London than Lexington, where they attempted to live for a short time! Does this sound like back-woods hicks? If so, then I want open minded hicks like this for neighbors!

We have enjoyed Laurel Lake for many years, and absolutely love the area. I have several family members in Corbin, too. My soon to be daughter-on-law and her family lives between the two towns, and loves the area as well as the schools, as does her sisters.

Welcome to KY, bring your fishing poles and boat, enjoy Laurell Lake and make sure to visit Lake Cumberland! ~joanna~

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,671 times
I defiantly agree with Big-Jim. As a resident of Corbin, KY, I find it very hard to believe that we are some pretty rude folks. Rude people are all over the world. Of course, you would be rude to if you was a hard worker. And maybe its because we really don't like city folks coming into our town and telling us the way we should be. We are the way we should be. Trust us. If we wanted to act like such spoiled little brats who never has worked a day in their life, we would move to your city. Personally, I would die and rot in hell before I moved to such a place. Country life is much more peaceful. At least some of us can sleep at night without having to worry who will break in next. Who are you to judge a town anyways? I am truly sorry to tell you, but you're not the only person with opinions. This is my home. Just as your city is yours. If you don't like it, get the hell out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky