U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Western NC Mountains
12 posts, read 44,073 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

My son & I moved to RockcastleCounty (Mt Vernon) in fall '07 and within 3-4 months realized it was a huge mistake. The county is the 3rd poorest in the state and the people have the mentality that comes with that type of region/economy. And they definately don't welcome outsiders. I was Ky born and raised and thought I was moving back home....what a joke. I wish I'd held to the I-65 corridor rather than the I-75. If you must be in that area, Berea is a little more pricey than alot of surrounding areas but the people in general are more friendly and welcoming. Good luck! I can only say I am so glad my property sold and I got the heck out of there...won't ever go back except to visit family in Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus2 View Post
My son & I moved to RockcastleCounty (Mt Vernon) in fall '07 and within 3-4 months realized it was a huge mistake. The county is the 3rd poorest in the state and the people have the mentality that comes with that type of region/economy. And they definately don't welcome outsiders. I was Ky born and raised and thought I was moving back home....what a joke. I wish I'd held to the I-65 corridor rather than the I-75. If you must be in that area, Berea is a little more pricey than alot of surrounding areas but the people in general are more friendly and welcoming. Good luck! I can only say I am so glad my property sold and I got the heck out of there...won't ever go back except to visit family in Louisville.
I really like Mt. Vernon. I have a family member that lives there so I know the area. They have a great downtown that still has stores on Main Street, probably because there's no Wal-Mart there, no Kroger, but several locally owned businesses. It's very small, you can't really expect a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,339 times
Reputation: 14
How can you say that I'm being rude to them when you do not know me.I am a very nice good-hearted person.Then you say there's a reason I must be getting the stares see thats exactly what I'm talking about.Obviously you're from London because you responded very negatively and of course rude to my comment.I have nothing against the folks in London I just want to be treated a little more nicely thats all.I am sorry I did'nt mean to offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,339 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I don't experience that here. Apparently you're being rude to them. If you're getting stares, perhaps there's a reason for it.....
Why do you take such offense to what i have written.Obiviously you're one of the rude people I was talking about.As for the stares I don't think it's right that you say perhaps there's reason for the stares.That in itself goes to show just how rude the people in London are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Location: London, KY
723 posts, read 1,501,105 times
Reputation: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by unacceptedinlondon View Post
Why do you take such offense to what i have written.Obiviously you're one of the rude people I was talking about.As for the stares I don't think it's right that you say perhaps there's reason for the stares.That in itself goes to show just how rude the people in London are.
Nobody can discount your experience. However, I moved here from Louisville back in 2003 and have found most people are polite and helpful. That you jumped on the OP may reflect that you assume too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Harlan, Kentucky
200 posts, read 748,356 times
Reputation: 126
I love people in the London area. I have always found them polite, inviting and very helpful. I love goin to the flea market down here. Heck look at my only friend on the city data forum. hes from London :P lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
 
7 posts, read 17,339 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil donna View Post
See this is what I mean. You can not even state your own opinion without being jumped on.

But, thanks for your advice... I have moved far far away from London and couldn't be happier
I totally agree with you Donna.I moved to London from Michigan and have been treated very rude by many of the people here.I think some of the people in London do not welcome outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
 
7 posts, read 17,339 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Nobody can discount your experience. However, I moved here from Louisville back in 2003 and have found most people are polite and helpful. That you jumped on the OP may reflect that you assume too much.
Yes I agree with you some of the people I have met have been somewhat polite.I'd like to apologize to the polite and friendly people in London.I did not mean to offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
 
14 posts, read 95,744 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by unacceptedinlondon View Post
Yes I agree with you some of the people I have met have been somewhat polite.I'd like to apologize to the polite and friendly people in London.I did not mean to offend anyone.
I think it has alot to do with age also. We were a 30 something couple with young children and were always treated very coldly.

But my parents would come down from Illinois to visit quite frequently and they loved it! To this day they wish we never moved out of London. I told them, YOU move there then because if I never step foot in Kentucky again, I will die a happy woman!

Living in London gave me a whole different outlook on life and people. Never again will I think that people living off government assistance actually need it.
I've never seen so many able-bodied people take government assistance just because they were fat and lazy. It disgusts me to no end to think that my hard earned tax dollars go to these people. I will never assume someone living in a trailer would rather have a house, job and pride because they don't!

Always trying to do your best and striving for the betterment of your family is lost in London. I just don't understand it and I guess I never will.

Que Sera Sera!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 AM
 
7 posts, read 17,339 times
Reputation: 14
i totally agree with you donna.My husband and I are also a couple in our early thirties and we've been treated very rudely.I am so happy to say we're moving out of Kentucky in a couple weeks and we never plan on returning.It's nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top