U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 PM

197 posts, read 688,338 times

Advertisements

It would be rude or vicious if I killed their dog because it killed one of my chickens that was on the dog's property. That's not the case here, though. The property is about 300 feet from the chicken pen (coop is attached to the pen), and the chickens *have* strayed onto the other property, but ONLY after they have been out for hours and hours and hours AND when it's nice outside. If it is raning or is cold, the chickens don't venture off from the pen.

We started letting the chickens out of their pen about a week ago, and in this part of Kentucky we've really only had one or two days where the weather was nice (not raining or cold). And, whenever the neighbor's dog has gotten just a little bit over onto our property, the chickens have run back to their coop. The other day when their dog attacked one of our chickens, the dog was right next to the pen. That means that the dog was on OUR property, and there is no way the chicken would have been able to run from the neighbor's property to the chicken pen, with that dog behind it. The dead chicken I found was right next to the prperty line, the neighbor's dog was WITH the chicken, and I'm betting the bird wasn't even dead for 15 minutes.

So, the bottom line is this. The thread was intended for discussion about how to handle the situation of the neighbor's dog killing our chicken. Instead, what happened was I got some really helpful advice about putting up a fence, a question about laws here in Kentucky pertaining to this sort of thing, and a slew of inflammatory posts about what gender to call me, questioning the legitimacy of my posts, and making fun of my username. Next time I ask for advice with a thread I'll just put in bold "flamers not welcome".

Off my soapbox now. And THANK YOU to those that were kind enough to try and help me out.

EDIT: That means that the dog was on OUR property, and there is no way the chicken would have been able to run from the neighbor's property to the chicken pen, with that dog behind it. The dead chicken I found was right next to the prperty line, the neighbor's dog was WITH the chicken, and I'm betting the bird wasn't even dead for 15 minutes.

I know that sounds like the bird was on the other property, and that must have been why the bird was dead close to the property line. Still, the birds never venture that far if they sense any animals (other than our dogs) nearby. So, it's *possible* that I am in the wrong here about this, but knowing how that other dog is, I'm not putting it past sneaking over near the coop and ambushing the bird.

Last edited by TheTransientTranny; 10-30-2008 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 06:11 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,395,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransientTranny View Post
Since when did you two become moderators??? Is there any particular reason why you felt the need to hijack my thread with baiting posts???
Apparently you aren't familiar with "trolls" which occur quite often.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:22 AM

295 posts, read 863,750 times
You need to keep your chickens contained. Otherwise, you are going to be left with zero chickens.

Seems you have a pen and a coop. Couldn't you build some sort of gate that could be fastened?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
You need to keep your chickens contained. Otherwise, you are going to be left with zero chickens.

Seems you have a pen and a coop. Couldn't you build some sort of gate that could be fastened?
This is our first time raising chickens, slowly but surely we're learning. The problem we're having right now is that the pen needs to be expanded (money) because they've outgrown it and the fence isn't high enough to keep them in there. We're going to be re-doing the pen to use that stucco wire (if we can find it around here) and 2x2 posts, and make it much bigger. We'll also be topping the pen with stucco wire if it's not too heavy and difficult to attach to the sides.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 AM

714 posts, read 1,423,672 times
I'm sorry I don't condone kicking a dog or hurting a dog for any reason, esp. this one. It is the owners fault, not the dogs fault. I would condone giving them a swift kick in the ass. The dog has a natural instinct. I would further be worried about having a 2 year old out and about around a dog that goes after animals. It would only take a few wrong movements from the child for the dog to misunderstand it as a threat.

If I were you I WOULD file a police report.

I know times are hard, but I would also get an extra job and put up a privacy fence. If you are renting, then I would contact the owner of the house to express the situation and ask if maybe they would split the cost of the fence with you. I would have no problem doing that as an owner. Also, I know it would be difficult to be nice to the neighbors, but I would make every attempt to be peaceful and express your concerns, not scream them. Sometimes be overly kind will stick it to them. If they yell, just walk away. It seems like a difficult situation since neither your animals, or theirs are properly fenced or enclosed. I wish you the best of luck. I would really try to save some money for a fence even if it meant working an extra job for a month and eating ramen noodles. It seems like it would be the best for everyone including your animals, their animals and your child.

If you were super nice maybe they would even help with a portion of the fence.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,075,634 times
I don't mean to sound critical-------but the excuse of "not having money" probably disqualifies you from raising animals.

As another poster stated-------soon you will have zero chickens left.

Yes, it takes----"money"--to properly raise chickens ( or any other animals or livestock)

If you have the "money" to go to a gym---------(I see you are looking for gyms that are trans gender friendly) you should have the money to build a proper fence for your chickens.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,075,634 times
since poster --TheTransientTranny is on many threads flaunting his /her sexual gender------------I wonder who the real troll is ??????????????

Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Thank you for sharing, stephanieuk

Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,509 times
Thumbs up About the dog and your chickens

Ok, I didnt want to reply but I have to...........My neighbors dogs kill 2 of my chickens too and my was expensive gamefowl so after trying everything to avoid this I get so mad about the situation that I took the revenge in my hands...........I tell a friend of my and he give me this it is call GOLDEN MALRIN you can get it anywhere sometime the design chances but the product remains the same.

Golden Malrin Fly Bait - Free Shipping

Just mixed with dog food and that's it......during the night better and take it away in the morning so you dont kill your livestock. I understand you very well and killing the dog is something that I dont like to do either but because the owner didnt do anything about it I had no other choice but to kill him because I cant afford to have anymore dead birds.

Good Luck!!!

One more thing, my property is all fence.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,457 times
Default yeah it's Kentucky

I think as long as you are in Kentucky you will have to deal with how rude these people are. In Texas if you go to a neighbor and tell them about their rude animal causing issues on your property it will most likely be handled as we Texans actually take pride in being friendly, neighborly and responsible. I have found that since I have moved to Kentucky that everyone I have encountered thinks that someone else should do something. There is a lack of personal responsiblilty in these parts. You should have a fence instead of the rude neighbor with their wandering dog? I think not, I think the rude neighbor obviously doesn't want the dog so I think you should shoot the dog, and if my neighbors dog doesn't stop causing trouble at my house, I'm going to shoot theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or