U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 AM

197 posts, read 688,412 times

Advertisements

The dog has been sniping lately. Hiding in the tall grass just on the border of the two properties (their's and mine). Yesterday, the dog came over and my wife and I were stunned to see one of our birds get cornered and a bunch of feathers ripped out. This morning I went out, and saw a 'pile of something' close to my property line (on my property). It was one of my birds, dead. I went over to the neighbor's house (they're not nice people at all) and knocked on their door. The girl answered and asked what I wanted. I told her "I don't know how else to say this to you, but your dog just killed one of our birds. My wife and I watched yesterday as your dog was attacking one of our other birds. The girl didn't apologize, she just sort of shrugged her shoulders and said "I'll see what I can do about it" and closed the door. Isn't there anything I can do about this? I have put a steel softball bat out by the coop, but I know the neighbor's dog is too fast for me to get out there and break the animal's leg or something. I don't want to have to kill their dog, but is that what I should do? Should I call the police about this? They'll just say that I don't have any proof that the neighbor's dog did it, likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,080,984 times
is there no fence ???????

If the dog is unaware where the property line is, how do your chickens know where the property line is ?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 AM

94 posts, read 317,835 times
In TX, if ANY animal attacks your livestock on your property, you can put the animal down. Does KY not have a law similar to this?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

If the dog is unaware where the property line is, how do your chickens know where the property line is ?

There is some fencing on that side of the property (between us and that neighbor). This is not the only problem we've have with them. For MONTHS they would not move their vehicle off our property, even their new roommate started parking his big rig on our property. I saw their roommate throwing trash over in our wooded area close to the property line. It took a certified letter by mail to get them to cooperate, and that was TWO days before the deadline I had given (after that I was going to call a towing service in to have their vehicle removed. So....there is a gap between where their car was parked and the end of our property line. We have not had the money to put up more fencing.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

marmac, sorry I forgot to answer your question. My chickens don't know where the property line is, but they generally stay close to home as most birds do. If they venture a little too far usually the neighbor's dog will scare them back to the coop before they get anywhere near the property line. The problem is that both times (the attack where feathers were pulled by the bunches, and the murder) their dog came completely onto our property, getting right up next to the coop (that's how she cornered one of the chickens yesterday). We have tried numerous time to shoo that dog off our property, so it's not like it doesn't know any better....which reminds me, not long ago the neighbor threatened to shoot one of our dogs that was barking at his wife (our dog did come on their property), and we told him fair is fair, that we would understand if he had to do that (obviously we wouldn't want anyone to get hurt, and we certainly don't want to be sued!). Yet when their dog (the same one that killed the chicken) was digging up my plants in my garden, I threatened to kick (not shoot) the dog the next timie I saw it in my garden, and the neighbor said "No, you won't kick my dog, you can spray her with water".

Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,277,977 times
You need a coop that the dog or other varmint can't get into. If the chickens are running loose, SOMETHING will get them. It may not be your neighbor's dog, but something will. It's not worth following up on, if they're not going to make it right, learn from it and go on. Buy or make a varmint-proof coop, it's the only answer.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,489,943 times
Lightbulb Suggestions

You have a few issues but they require different responses.

Vehicles parked on your property. Tow immediately and then file a small claims suit to recoup the money spent on the tow truck.

Chicken coop would be nice, especially since raccoons eat more chickens than any dog will.

For stray dogs, provided your property is relatively small (less than a couple acres), you can get an electric fence... installed about 6 inches off the ground ... surrounding your property - or even just on the 'troublesome side' of your property, to keep stray dogs off your property.

Your dogs should have some protective instincts towards the chickens. Most dogs know the approximate boundaries of their property and seek out other dogs that stray into the property boundary. Genuinely surprised that your dog(s) didn't go out to investigate a chicken that was in trouble.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 AM

I *should* have mentioned that one of my dogs was attacking the bird, too, but only AFTER the neighbor's dog started the whole thing. Kind of like two kids saying "Mooommmmm, he punched me first!" Even so, it really did look to me like our dog was at least trying to keep the bird away from the neighbor's dog. And, our dog has been around the birds enough that if she really was going to go after the chickens with the intention of hurting them she would have already done so. At least I think that.

We have a two year old boy, are electric fences dangerous enough to hurt a human if it touches it? That's a great idea, though. I think we'll be putting one up on that side, since any dogs that have come this way from the other two sides (the back side has always been fenced in, no dog ever gets through that) have always been chased away by our dogs.

When we had that issue with the neighbor's vehicles on our property, the towing service didn't want to remove the car without the law saying they could (and the police being there), and the police said they *might* come out while a towing truck was there, but would not enforce anything since I would have no proof (at the time) that the car was on our property (the police said they are not going to bother with comparing surveying papers).

The only way I was able to keep the big rig off our property was to install a portion of the fence when the truck driver was on one of his trips. My neighbor behind me did teach me one lesson, though (he's sensibly stayed out of this whole mess), that "fences make good neighbors".

Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 AM

8,209 posts, read 13,698,886 times
As far as the dog deal, try a shotgun loaded with salt. Won't kill the dog but he'll sure know he's been hit with something! I have a friend who can prove that! He found out the hard way teepeeing someones's house on Halloween and the dad shot him with it.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,080,984 times
"good fences make good neighbors"

A fence could solve many problems---------keeping your neighbor's truck off your property as well as protecting your animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or