Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

I find NKY to be MUCH more conservative than Louisville and Lexington. The only true young "Republicans" in every sense of the term I've met in Lou and Lex are from NKY. Louisville and Lexington are quite progressive and liberal and accepting compared to the rest of the state. The minority and gay communities are quite well accepted. People from NKY are the type that vote Republican for everything and will not even listen to my opinions on why I vote Democrat. They're the only Republicans that tell me I'm stupid and uneducated for voting Democrat. Funny that I'm a law student and that studies show that higher education generally equates to being more liberal and Democratic. The amount of cold hard facts I've given them on why I vote Democrat have convinced quite a few people to question their beliefs. I studied politics in school. Have always been an active voter. I care about politics. I have friends from all over KY who understand my views and have been willing to reconsider their political standpoint when presented with facts. They were just never presented with facts about Obama's presidency and the Democratic and Republican parties' viewpoints. Once they questioned their beliefs, most agreed with me. I'm not saying I'm trying to make everyone a Democrat. But the people from NKY are the only ones who adamantly argue with me, but are ignorant to facts, refuse to question their beliefs, and insist that are Democrats are ruining the world. People from small town and rural KY I've met don't even think that.

NKY also says they're from Cincinnati. So they claim they're from a "northern" city, but hate everything that the "north" stands for.

Basically, the view I have on NKY is that they're nice people that go through life with blinders on that live the "ignorance is bliss" mantra to the fullest. It seems like they're parents wanted to live in Cincinnati, but moved to NKY for the more suburban and rural feel while being close to the job center of downtown Cincinnati. They all think I'm crazy for enjoying urban city life and none have any desire to travel, experience cultures, live in new cities, make friends from outside of NKY (not exaggerating, it seems like they're only friends with themselves and no outsiders). The fact that I enjoy public transit and want to live in an urban, cultural city perplexes them to the point that they don't like that opinion.

So I guess what I'm saying is that no, NKY is not like KY. It's a worse version of KY because it tries to be better than the rest of the state while managing to make itself worse than many parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,706 times
They're the only Republicans that tell me I'm stupid and uneducated for voting Democrat - That's funny because I get labeled stupid and unedcuated for leaning more conservative...go figure?

Funny that I'm a law student and that studies show that higher education generally equates to being more liberal and Democratic - I can't disagree with you there. Are you kidding me? Conservative view points don't even have a chance in higher education and you know it! Why do you think most opt for continuing education in christian universities? Many professors that teach in these Univ's are liberal and espouse extreme liberal tendencies and are intolerant of any viewpoints other than their own, that's no big secret. If anything I've heard from many young traditional conservative people that have gone to state and public colleges is that they felt "targeted" "extremely" disenfranchised in college and quite discriminated against. So, I guess it all depends on who you talk too right?

The amount of cold hard facts I've given them on why I vote Democrat have convinced quite a few people to question their beliefs. I studied politics in school. Have always been an active voter. I care about politics. I have friends from all over KY who understand my views and have been willing to reconsider their political standpoint when presented with facts - This is possibly the most laughable of everything you've said! Well I hear alot of "crap" frankly from both sides being espoused as "cold hard facts" to be quite honest so that doesn't mean very much quite frankly so this is pretty much meaningless as far as I'm concerned. My experience is that this usually equates to nothing more than bloviations of "political bull puckey" and "bologna" to be quite honest. Hillarious!

They were just never presented with facts about Obama's presidency and the Democratic and Republican parties' viewpoints - Are you campaigning for Obama here? I mean, this is the wrong thread to start bemoaning conversatives and blowing the horn. Shouldn't this be in the political thread? What does this have to do with northern Kentucky or Kentucky in general. Stop generalizing.

Once they questioned their beliefs, most agreed with me - I love the "me" part of this comment, so typical. Well heaven forbid that someone doesn't agree with you? A bit narcisistic in tone here? Others don't exist just to equate with your personal beliefs and agree with you lock step about everything. Sounds a little like the "pot calling the kettle black" your just as idealistic and brainwashed as those you deem to criticize in my opinion. But your young, so I'll give you that. Another 10 to 15 years of life and experience and I bet you'll see many things differently. Sounds like you are the one not willing to listen to the opinions of others. As a matter of fact, I'll be willing to bet my life on it that this is EXACTLY how you are. Most people that struggle with deep insecurites aren't.

I'm not saying I'm trying to make everyone a Democrat - Oh really? Interesting, because that's exactly what your argument is implying. Well, not everybody, but at least just about everybody? I mean in your eyes, many conservatives just can't be rehabilitated right? So, what you're really implying is that only if others thought the same way you do, because of your higher education and superiority, everyone would be better off? I mean, this was your first point in your comment, you wasted no time in making it. You created an air of superiority given that your so highly educated. I mean there's northern Kentucky and then there's "Mount Olympus" which is where you live, looking down upon everybody else. What I deduce from your comment is that the only way for others to obtain the lofty heights that you have and ascend to your level is to agree with you? That just because YOU have a higher education, others don't have the right to argue with you, your beliefs or disagree with you? How dare they? WHO do they think they are, the uneducated, unwashed masses that they are right? Is this what they've taught you to think and say in that University you went to? Is that what our glorious Universities are turning out? Snarky, prude, rude, over-inflated, "highly educated, know it all" types? I mean is this what the years of study and thousands of dollars in debt are giving our society today? Have you ever really even had an actual real job where you had to work and make a living or create something or provide a service that people want or need? I HIGHLY doubt it because that would be beneath you of course, someone of YOUR stature, education and grandeur. Work..yeah that's reserved for the ignorant Northern Kentucky rednecks and hillbilles that walk around with blinders on....as you so adeptly say right? Ignorance is bliss right!? LOL....I'm afraid I must be blunt: young lady/man, you are incredibly self focused and you have much to learn about life and people.

But the people from NKY are the only ones who adamantly argue with me, but are ignorant to facts, refuse to question their beliefs, and insist that are Democrats are ruining the world. People from small town and rural KY I've met don't even think that - Well first off, you haven't presented any "facts" of any kind, just a long list of complaints as to why N Kentuckians don't think the same way as you. Frankly it does a disservice to the thread if all you can contribute is a long list of complaints as to why N kentuckians don't vote democrat and don't think or vote the same way you do?

Basically, the view I have on NKY is that they're nice people that go through life with blinders on that live the "ignorance is bliss" mantra to the fullest Again, why because they don't have the 4-year that you have? Becuase they don't want to travel? Becuse they don't have the "secret key to life" and the "cold hard facts" that you do? Gheeze....I arrest my case already

Grow up and come back and talk to us in about 15 years

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-27-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 01:55 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy van winkle View Post
A lot of people from there seem toin the shave this very insular attitude and kind of live within their own little "island" within the state.

What annoys me the most is when people tell me that they always claim to be from Cincinatti when meeting people from other states, so as not to seem like an uneducated redneck. I am very proud to say I'm from the state of Kentucky, and I'm pretty sure no one would ever think me uneducated or a redneck. Must be insecurity.
To your first statement - Isn't that true of people just about everywhere, no matter where you go? I think most people do not venture too far out of the area from whatever city they get their local tv news from. I was raised mostly in Muncie, Indiana, and honestlt most people didn't know much or cared much about what was going on beyond the Indianapolis viewing area. I moved to Texas and it was the same way. There just isn't a whole lot of interest beyond the local television stations viewing area, unless it's something really important on a state or national level.

To your second statement - I think there's lots of people that live in the suburbs will say they are from the major city of their urban area instead of the suburb they live in. I know people in Jeffersonville that say they are from Louisville when they visit Texas. I have family in Garland but when they go back to TN they will say they come from Dallas. They don't say that because they think Jeffersonville or Garland are inferior to Louisville, or Kentucky or Dallas. It's because most people outside of those metro areas are not familiar with Jeffersonville or Garland. Thats the only reason. Not because they think their city of state is inferior, or they are ashamed of it.

My family is from KY and TN and some of us were raised in Indiana, but I can tell you that nobody in my family is ashamed to be from KY or TN, and if they were ashamed, I think that would be a symptom of an inferiority complex.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM

I usually don't come out so strongly like I did above but it really sticks in my craw folks from other areas that come to Kentucky then do nothing but say negative things and have nothing good to say about the good folks that live there.

If they are so averse to the people living in a particular area and their outlook on life, why did they relocate in the first place?

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-27-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I usually don't come out so strongly like I did above but it really sticks in my craw folks from other areas that come to Kentucky then do nothing but say negative things and have nothing good to say about the good folks that live there.

If they are so averse to the people living in a particular area and their outlook on life, why did they relocate in the first place?
Actually I came to Louisville. Not NKY. I have no complaints about the people of Louisville. Maybe you should read my comment correctly. I said I don't enjoy NKY because it seems way different from the rest of KY. I like KY. Not NKY.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Re politics... NKY is an extension of Cincinnati and that city is an outlier politically in many ways. Nearly all urban places vote Democrat in presidential elections, even most small towns in red counties do. It is urban, has a pretty high education level, and is diverse but very Republican, even in the majority White urban neighborhoods. The percent of Whites that voted for Romney in Cincinnati is around 80/90%, a level only seen in the Deep South. It's neither good or bad, just an observation.

That said I find that Republicans in Cincinnati, Lexington, or Louisville are very different from Republicans in rural areas. The are socially moderate to even liberal, have friends of diverse racial backgrounds, are into health and fitness, etc; just like their Democrat voting urbanites. They tend to be wealthier and want lower taxes for themselves and many coming from large religious families that provide great support so they tend to think family and church rather than gov't should provide for the needy.

By comparison Ruralpublicans vote mostly based on fear (of gays, Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims) and for gun rights. I call these people Charlie Daniels Republicans (if you follow him on Twitter or listen to his interviews you'll know what I mean). What's really odd is how so many of these people live off of welfare themselves but then claim to want small gov't. I have many family members that are perfectly fit to work and yet instead sit and home and collect SS Disability and they get on Facebook and make post after post about small gov't, nanny state, etc. There are lots of very Red counties in the South that have a large percent of their population living off of SS and welfare. It's 30% to 50% of the total income at a county level in most places.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Yeah I've met a few people from Cincinnati throughout my life in various parts of the country. The main gripe was always that they were liberal and the place was far too Republican for them. And idk why the attack against my observations either. I've had several Republican friends throughout my life. If you have facts to support why you vote Republican, more power to you. But if you refuse to consider the other side because you'r a rich white upperclass religious heterosexual male, I'm going to judge you for that. I present them with facts on how the government and businesses are run, and they think I'm stupid and making stuff up. Being a hardcore left wing liberal, I've had several educated conversations with hard core right wing conservatives. We listen to each other, understand the other side, and stay friends (including people from rural KY). NKY crew is presented with facts and an educated conversation is impossible with them. They deny facts, won't listen to me, and think I'm stupid for being a Democrat. I keep it educated and classy with them, but only from NKY have I received such hostility back.

And them being cliquey? Yeah. They're basically a cult. They only hang out with each other. They all date each other. They have almost no friends from outside NKY. I think that's self-inflicted. My guess is that Cincinnati and NKY are divided by a state line which causes some rivalry/animosity like NYC/NJ. Then, NKY tries to make themselves seem more elite than the rest of KY so they isolate themselves from KY. So NKY isolates themselves from KY and Cincinnati isolates themselves from NKY, created a very insular community that seems almost cult-like.

And again, this is seriously not an attack on KY. Idk why anyone would assume. I never said a negative thing about Louisville, Lexington, or any other part of KY. Yes, it's been a culture shock and I expected it. Yes, some things, are different in bad way from home. But I didn't come to KY expecting something different and hate it. I simply dislike the NKY cult for many reasons. I have friends from there also. Some of my best friends. But I don't like their outlook on life. I get judged by them for the simplest of things like being a liberal, liking smaller cars, agreeing with environmentalism, speaking several foreign languages, enjoying big urban cities, enjoying public transit, not believing that the US is the greatest thing ever to exist, having a desire to travel and live abroad, and even using chopsticks. Not a single person from any other part of KY or the world has anything negative like that to say about my choices and desires in life. To me, that shows ignorance. They have no desire to learn about other cultures. They don't care about the environment because there are enough trees in KY and they're far from the ocean. I mean I could go on and on. But the rest of KY is not like NKY. For some people, NKY could be better than the rest of KY. For others it is worse. For me, NKY is worse than other parts of KY. Is it different to answer the topic of this thread? 100% yes. For better or for worse, you be the judge.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Actually I came to Louisville. Not NKY. I have no complaints about the people of Louisville. Maybe you should read my comment correctly. I said I don't enjoy NKY because it seems way different from the rest of KY. I like KY. Not NKY.
Sorry not buying it..... but nice try..

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-28-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Sorry not buying it..... but nice try..
Wow. I wasn't aware that you're a mind reader. Might want to hone in on those skills a little more because your mind reading is wrong. I do like Louisville. I've never given any indication that I haven't. But what do I know? Clearly you know everything about everyone and how we all think. You seem like a very crabby person. Glad I don't know you. Because if we did know each other, you would know I actually do enjoy it here. So, please, keep your opinions about me to yourself. I'm basically over discussing anything with you at this point.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah I've met a few people from Cincinnati throughout my life in various parts of the country. The main gripe was always that they were liberal and the place was far too Republican for them. And idk why the attack against my observations either. I've had several Republican friends throughout my life. If you have facts to support why you vote Republican, more power to you. But if you refuse to consider the other side because you'r a rich white upperclass religious heterosexual male, I'm going to judge you for that. I present them with facts on how the government and businesses are run, and they think I'm stupid and making stuff up. Being a hardcore left wing liberal, I've had several educated conversations with hard core right wing conservatives. We listen to each other, understand the other side, and stay friends (including people from rural KY). NKY crew is presented with facts and an educated conversation is impossible with them. They deny facts, won't listen to me, and think I'm stupid for being a Democrat. I keep it educated and classy with them, but only from NKY have I received such hostility back.

And them being cliquey? Yeah. They're basically a cult. They only hang out with each other. They all date each other. They have almost no friends from outside NKY. I think that's self-inflicted. My guess is that Cincinnati and NKY are divided by a state line which causes some rivalry/animosity like NYC/NJ. Then, NKY tries to make themselves seem more elite than the rest of KY so they isolate themselves from KY. So NKY isolates themselves from KY and Cincinnati isolates themselves from NKY, created a very insular community that seems almost cult-like.

And again, this is seriously not an attack on KY. Idk why anyone would assume. I never said a negative thing about Louisville, Lexington, or any other part of KY. Yes, it's been a culture shock and I expected it. Yes, some things, are different in bad way from home. But I didn't come to KY expecting something different and hate it. I simply dislike the NKY cult for many reasons. I have friends from there also. Some of my best friends. But I don't like their outlook on life. I get judged by them for the simplest of things like being a liberal, liking smaller cars, agreeing with environmentalism, speaking several foreign languages, enjoying big urban cities, enjoying public transit, not believing that the US is the greatest thing ever to exist, having a desire to travel and live abroad, and even using chopsticks. Not a single person from any other part of KY or the world has anything negative like that to say about my choices and desires in life. To me, that shows ignorance. They have no desire to learn about other cultures. They don't care about the environment because there are enough trees in KY and they're far from the ocean. I mean I could go on and on. But the rest of KY is not like NKY. For some people, NKY could be better than the rest of KY. For others it is worse. For me, NKY is worse than other parts of KY. Is it different to answer the topic of this thread? 100% yes. For better or for worse, you be the judge.

Well folks.....if you ever wondered what happened to our Great Country, I present to you, exhibit A.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but, you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

The sad part about all of this is, way too many people aren't willing to make an "Educated" decisions on their own, so they just take the "Easy" road and believe the word of someone else, that in most cases have an agenda all of their own.

Must be an aspiring politician.

Oh yah, by the way...I'm a Democrat, but in most cases people like this aren't old enough to know "Anything" about the Democrat that I am. I'm sure glad we didn't get into the "Real Issues" with the present "So Called Democrat Party".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky