Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am possibly relocating to Kentucky, I don't actually live in Seattle,i'm about 40 miles south east in a small town of about 5,000 in fact I'm not much of a Big city person.

I will be working from home so I wont be commuting, I've looked at the map and im thinking more towards the Bowling green area since its close to Nashville and other areas to explore.
but im also open to other areas.....

I am not much for the northern part such as Ohio , Illinois etc

I am more of a Southern mindset, used to Rodeo etc

As long as I have High speed internet access (Xfinity, Cox) or anything fast and reliable ill be ok

Thanks for the help

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 08:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
Take a look at the London, Somerset area...Knoxville is just over an hour South and if you have any need to go to Lexington, it's about the same as Knoxville North.

Internet speed is good...at least I don't have any problem with it.

Can't help with the Rodeo but, lots of great festivals in the area.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2016, 03:34 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Hogs is a big booster for the Eastern hill country, and you can learn a ton from that man. I think the area around BG is a good choice too, because it's pretty country and I love Nashville.

Maybe if you gave us some idea of why you're moving, or what you're looking for, we could be of more help in steering you toward one area or another.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I checked on rodeos in western Kentucky while ago. Murray State University is the only college rodeo team in the state of Kentucky. They've had some big rodeos on campus, but not this year. There is also a 2 day rodeo event at Wranglers Camp in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Here's a list of 2017 rodeos in Kentucky but none of them have dates set yet. Kentucky Rodeos | Find local KY 2016 rodeos and bull riding events
Living around the Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley area in western Kentucky, you're about an hour or less from Nashville down I-24. Several small towns the size you're talking about.
If you like to be in the outdoors some, the Land Between the Lakes I mentioned is 170,000 acres of hiking, 4 wheeler riding, fishing, camping, or just sitting by the water enjoying the peace and quiet.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
I wouldn't move from Seattle unless I could be sure of having Seattle-lite internet access.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeper64 View Post
Hello

I am possibly relocating to Kentucky, I don't actually live in Seattle,i'm about 40 miles south east in a small town of about 5,000 in fact I'm not much of a Big city person.

I will be working from home so I wont be commuting, I've looked at the map and im thinking more towards the Bowling green area since its close to Nashville and other areas to explore.

As long as I have High speed internet access (Xfinity, Cox) or anything fast and reliable ill be ok

Thanks for the help

Brian
Bardstown KY comes to mind. Named of the nicest small towns in America, and close to Louisville, which IMO is much more "authentic" than Nashville. Nashville has too many people moving there.

In Bowling Green size range, you'd really like Elizabethtown.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:20 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeper64 View Post
Hello

Thanks for the help

Brian
Same here, I do live in Seattle and are STRONGLY considering KY . LOVE LOVE my Seahawks but I am tired , EXHAUSTED from the traffic and if I am not on the back of a thoroughbred at 3-4am ( my job is still a galloper ) I stay at home rather than try to navigate the traffic these days . I am originally from the south but really do not have the cash to truly enjoy much here. We only have a short racing season and the PETA folks are hot and heavy here .

Do NOT EVER want to go back to Texas - have thought about going back to my husband's native Europe but we truly love our broodmares so we don't - cannot afford to ship them all overseas .

My husband is transitioning from a 30 year aviation career to RN and he and I both have been heavily involved with thoroughbreds and saddlebreds for decades - me for life - as trainers, assistant trainers, grooms, catch riders, you name it .
I also refuse to pay over 100,000 for a vacant lot much less $800,000 up for a 2 acre personal farm. We kinda sorta want to go back to our ownSMALL farm and I saw plenty in our budget. We have been here in Seattle, about a decade...and it's just exploded with people !! We are kind of alternative but most horse people don't care. We do a good job and some of them are pretty strange themselves .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 10-07-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 12:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Sheeper: If you enjoy the outdoors, Mammoth Cave National Park is not far from Bowling Green, and offers miles of scenic hilly, wooded trails and camping in addition to the world's largest cave. There are many other caves near and even within Bowling Green - this is prime cave country. The University offers many educational and cultural attractions, and as you note, you would not be far from Nashville.

Dutchess: if you're interested in purchasing a few acres for your horses, check the counties around Fayette County (Lexington). This area is the world-famous Bluegrass horse country, and Fayette County is the Heart (of the Bluegrass). Land is quite costly here and zoning prevents purchasing less than 40 acres within the main horse farm area, to help preserve our beautiful landscapes. However, you can find very nice small farms with similar topography nearby, out of county, and at a much lower cost. Given your background and experience, you and your husband would most likely find employment in the horse industry pretty quickly here, although some jobs tend to be seasonal.

Lexington has two racetracks, Keeneland for thoroughbreds plus pricey horse sales, and the Red Mile for Standardbred (harness racing). Keeneland has a spring and fall meet, while the Red Mile has summer racing plus big horse shows. Nearby is the Kentucky (State) Horse Park, with horse shows every weekend during the summer and additional horse-related activities year-round. And of course, there are probably around 100 horse farms in the Bluegrass, if not more, ranging from mom and pop operations to big international syndicated farms to historic farms that have been in one family for generations.

So - do some research, come visit in advance if you can (each of your two inquiring posters), and see if Kentucky is for you. You'll never know until you check it out.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:54 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwISrNHxFy4

Hello Sheeper and Dutchess and welcome to the Kentucky forum here at City-Data.
You should definitely check out the Lexington and Bluegrass region of Kentucky also.
I am not sure about Rodeo's, but we certainly have a lot of horses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YltBLDEII
But many parts of Kentucky offer nice horse country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5...feature=relmfu

Kentucky also has Wild horses out in Eastern Kentucky, in Several counties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL3FLMTzb0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JClqBiBEshg

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 10-07-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 04:37 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Oh yes ! , My family has had many great sales and wonderful fun through the years at Keeneland our( my birth family and my own ) yearlings have always done well at Keeneland any years that we sent any and 2 of my broodmares were born at Three Chimney's and one at Lane's End . My whole life has been covered in TB's - it's a generational thing , when we are both working at tracks we migrate with everyone else when one meet ends and another begins . I don't mind living out , but I was surprised at the amount of 5-20+ acre older places that were well within our budget . Very surprised .

The Red Mile is totally electrifying I admit I LOVE Standardbreds but never owned one but have driven one on the farm and with the Saddlebreds there is NOTHING like showing on the "Green Shavings".
I have been there for horse business but never to stay. I really don't know WHY seems like I should have done this long ago . Many of my associates end up in the end in KY . I had previously been thinking of going back to OK but I recall that one year of over 114 for over 90 days .. I need seasons and if I want incineration I'd go back to Texas- but their racing industry is extremely unstable right now anyway,, it's fair but not enough to warrant ever going back .

As for the religious stuff people were talking about I grew up in Texas and worked both there and Oklahoma/ Louisiana tracks ( TB and AQHA ) so I just learned to avoid or if its an old person I am just courteous about it .
Thank you all so much for these tips !!!

Sorry to talk so much the videos made me homesick and miss my family ( all gone now I am the last ) AND be excited all at once .. yep those barns have been my "house" all over the US even if I didn't own them and simply worked for them.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 10-07-2016 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky