Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM

101 posts, read 283,968 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a large city in Michigan. We are looking for a small, safer town to live in, in Kentucky. We realize there are lots of towns in Kentucky that have drug activity and crime is high.

Would anybody know of a halfway decent place? It's hard to know about the areas if you live in another state and we don't know where to get this kind of info.

Thanks,
Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,348,939 times
There are only 2 areas of Kentucky has have high rates of violent crime: the NorthWest corner of Louisville and a lot of areas of Eastern KY (the Appalachian areas).

Whether you will need to work in a city depends a lot on where to look. If you're wanting a smaller city/ bigger town with some medical and industrial jobs I'd look around Elizabethtown, Owensboro, or Bowling Green. All 3 have small malls & decent hospitals and have affordable land surrounding them.

I you want something w/i commuting range of Cincinnati, Lexington, and Louisville I'd look at Dry Ridge/ Williamstown, Danville, and Shelbyville.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,538,446 times
Kentucky's crime statistics are lower than most states. Crime is not high....

Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,984,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat48328 View Post
My husband and I live in a large city in Michigan. We are looking for a small, safer town to live in, in Kentucky. We realize there are lots of towns in Kentucky that have drug activity and crime is high.

Would anybody know of a halfway decent place? It's hard to know about the areas if you live in another state and we don't know where to get this kind of info.
You can try Maysville (East of Cinnci) or Brandenburg (SW of Louisville). There are 120 counties and many more 'small, safe towns' in Kentucky. You may want to be more specific on your criteria.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,754,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are only 2 areas of Kentucky has have high rates of violent crime: the NorthWest corner of Louisville and a lot of areas of Eastern KY (the Appalachian areas).

Whether you will need to work in a city depends a lot on where to look. If you're wanting a smaller city/ bigger town with some medical and industrial jobs I'd look around Elizabethtown, Owensboro, or Bowling Green. All 3 have small malls & decent hospitals and have affordable land surrounding them.

I you want something w/i commuting range of Cincinnati, Lexington, and Louisville I'd look at Dry Ridge/ Williamstown, Danville, and Shelbyville.
I pretty much agree with censusdata. Although I think BG is kinda dumpy, a lot of northern transplants and Nashville exurbanites are moving there; I guess the city's doing something right.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Laurel County murders since Sept 2008
Laurel County Forum - [domain blocked due to spam]

Murders:
Nov 20th - Passenger in car killed during police chase, driver charged w/ murder
Oct 16th - man shot to death by his nephew
Oct 2nd - man shoots and murders wife
Sept 28th - man murdered when drug deal goes bad

During this time period Laurel County had more murders and drug arrests than the Shively ZIP code in Louisville, which has a similar population

Old 12-23-2008, 02:52 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,754,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Laurel County murders since Sept 2008
Laurel County Forum - [domain blocked due to spam]

Murders:
Nov 20th - Passenger in car killed during police chase, driver charged w/ murder
Oct 16th - man shot to death by his nephew
Oct 2nd - man shoots and murders wife
Sept 28th - man murdered when drug deal goes bad

During this time period Laurel County had more murders and drug arrests than the Shively ZIP code in Louisville, which has a similar population
Wow! I didn't know Laurel Co. had that much crime. I wonder if those murders are scattered throughout, or are more concentrated in London or Corbin.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Wow! I didn't know Laurel Co. had that much crime. I wonder if those murders are scattered throughout, or are more concentrated in London or Corbin.
It seems like it's usually outside the city limits. Watching the Lexington news I'd say the cover 10 murders in Eastern KY for every one in Lexington, so the numbers don't surprise me

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,538,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
We don't have that much crime. For a county of 60,000 people it is not out of the ordinary. These crimes typically occur in the East Bernstadt community. So censusdata and jcm, why do you enjoy picking on this area?

We're one of the fastest growing parts of the state, so it's obviously a good area.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:42 PM

80 posts, read 246,328 times
The Bowling Green area isn't bad...crime-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky