Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times

Advertisements

If you need to know anything about FAR WESTERN KY (i.e. The Jackson Purchase) I'm located there.

The JP is very southern and something of a state unto itself, political Siberia if you will, we don't see country line as much as some other areas of the state it's more or less considered one big county in terms of attitude. People travel between JP counties and towns quite often to the point folks have friends all over the area. We are geographically bordered on 3 sides by major rivers and the TN boarder to the south.

I can tell you from travel to Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Henderson and other areas to the east, the JP is far cheaper to live in. I'm from Henderson originally and I was there at Christmas and I was shocked by how much higher basic goods were. No slam on Henderson, just facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 PM

540 posts, read 629,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usn View Post
We are considering moving from Hampton Roads, Virginia to the Midwest, notably Southeast Missouri, Western Kentucky and Western Tennessee (I’ll explain). We are seeking input from any wannabe realtors, genuine realtors, gypsies, nomads, mountain people or anyone with knowledge of these areas
My wife and I are both retired military, hence the USN (go Navy), children grown and moved out, and we are sick of the traffic, high taxes, rude people and hurricanes. Originally we come from Iowa and Wisconsin, we still have family in both places and that is why we have chosen these areas (close but not too close if you know what we mean). Being retired sailors we are tired of the ocean and hurricanes but still love the water, we also love the big rolling hills in these areas. So with that said I will list some of our wants and don’t wants in order of precedence and let you experts convince us which area would be best suited for us. One last thing, we have retirements but will still need to work for spending $$$
Wants:
Lakefront property with or without a house, acreage (2 and up), moderate winter climate, friendly people, relatively close to civilization but not a big city, reasonable taxes/cost of living,
Don’ts:
Tornado alley, crime, traffic, not too far out in the boonies, not too cold in the winter (wife can’t handle the cold) We appreciate any advice or recommendation that you can give us and hope to see some of you some day
I hope you are still on here. Have I got a surprize for you. I have a 4000 sq. ft. house on Lake Malone in Western Kentucky. I moved to Florida three years ago. I was formerly Go Navy. I have 80 feet on the Lake with a beautiful pristine view on a 1000 acre lake called Lake Malone. It is a bit remote in northern Logan County. It is within one house of a 24 unit motel tha t aters to tourists but is very low key. It is within 1 block of a Marina. It has its own dock and about 1500 square feet of wrap around deck top and bottom. Lots of parking and just off a two lane highway that is with in 16 miles and 20 miles of the closest Wal Mart. a very close community of about 500. Close to the extent that they respond to a call for help but seldom ask. If you are interested respond to the inquiry, Schtyk is the handle. I lived there for 15 years but now live in Florida. This is 60 miles of center of Nashville, 50 miles of Bowling Green, 50 miles of Owensboro, 40 Miles of Clarksville, 30 miles of Hopkinsville, 20 miles of Russellville and close to nothing except gas, fishing, golf and serenity. Thanks and good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,642 times
Wink Calvert City

Growing up in western ky - fulton, calvert city, i moved to Chicago when i was 18. I now wait for the days to go back and visit western ky. If you are an outdoors kind of person that loves nature, hikes, boating, small festivals, and super nice laid-back people, then move around KY Lake. Whenever I need a break from the hustle and bustle and rude people in the city, i drive or fly back to my parents house and relax and take a breath of fresh air.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 16,238 times
[quote=julz79;7332077]Growing up in western ky - fulton, calvert city, i moved to Chicago when i was 18. I now wait for the days to go back and visit western ky. If you are an outdoors kind of person that loves nature, hikes, boating, small festivals, and super nice laid-back people, then move around KY Lake.

"julz79", you make me want to load up the van this afternoon! I am seriously considering Murray for retirement in ~2 years. Very active outdoors type for a guy my age.

Are there any counties or towns in the JP that are wt, where I can make wine purchases (part of my evening dinner)?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophilos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz79 View Post
Growing up in western ky - fulton, calvert city, i moved to Chicago when i was 18. I now wait for the days to go back and visit western ky. If you are an outdoors kind of person that loves nature, hikes, boating, small festivals, and super nice laid-back people, then move around KY Lake.
"julz79", you make me want to load up the van this afternoon! I am seriously considering Murray for retirement in ~2 years. Very active outdoors type for a guy my age.

Are there any counties or towns in the JP that are wt, where I can make wine purchases (part of my evening dinner)?
Paducah is not "dry", so you can either buy carry out, go to bars, or have wine with dinner.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Murray is damp
Mayfield is damp
Fulton is wet
Paducah is wet
I think Grand River is damp now
Hickman is wet
there are others

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Murray is damp
Mayfield is damp
Fulton is wet
Paducah is wet
I think Grand River is damp now
Hickman is wet
there are others
That 60 degree weather this weekend sounds good, doesn't it?
I went down and helped my brother clean up our parents' yard yesterday. FUN time! lol

Old 02-06-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
That 60 degree weather this weekend sounds good, doesn't it?
I went down and helped my brother clean up our parents' yard yesterday. FUN time! lol
Come on out to Farmington if you want some real fun ... they going to move a powerline and dropped 3 MORE huge trees in my yard and said I have to clean it up. I went off!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 AM

84 posts, read 291,316 times
And for what it's worth, I currently go to school in West Tennessee (about 1 hour from Memphis), and it seems to be about the same as West Kentucky (I actually live in Central KY) except for 1) it does seem to be a little more tornado-prone, for whatever reason, and 2) the temperature is always several degrees higher here. Sometimes, during the summer, it's about the same as West Kentucky, but the winter is usually several important degrees warmer. It's gonna be 60 today and 68 tomorrow, compared to back-home's 54 and 62, respectively.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
After the temps we had the last week or so, 54-62 will suit me just fine!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky