Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,791 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Nicholasville/Lexington area. I moved to Virginia Beach one year ago. It totally amazes (and angers me) the way that people see Kentucky. Just Kentucky. They don't know what Louisville, Lexington, etc.... are. I can say I am from Lexington, Kentucky and they go "oh that's rural". (what the ?????).....Anyway, since I've been here I've had people comment on my accent (which I love and don't plan on getting rid of).

Lexington is suburban, I agree. Here in Va Beach they aren't even that....I can't explain what they are. It's like they threw up a bunch of strip malls and that's it. It's quite funny, most people I know here think if you have to drive more than 10 min. to anywhere that's too far. LOL!

I love the beach, so that is why I'm here, but will always defend and promote my home state of Kentucky !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Rural Kentucky has one of the highest smoking rates in the country. If they want to be considered more intelligent, maybe they should stop.

Rural Kentucky has only itself to blame for its negative stereotypes. But try telling that to the close-minded people of the region.
Were are your facts? If you are going to throw stink bombs and run then back them up.

Yes do try telling that to the closed minded people... how are they to blame? Again a stink bomb thrown with nothing to support it.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Were are your facts? If you are going to throw stink bombs and run then back them up.

Yes do try telling that to the closed minded people... how are they to blame? Again a stink bomb thrown with nothing to support it.
I'll one up you. Where is the link between smoking and being soft headed? I've never seen that study. Don't recall anyone every breaking the news that 'smoking leads to being stupid'.

Quote:
If they want to be considered more intelligent, maybe they should stop.

Rural Kentucky has only itself to blame for its negative stereotypes. But try telling that to the close-minded people of the region.

More over what makes you think anyone wants to be considered 'intelligent' by your standards? That's some nerve. Pompous wind bag comes to mind actually.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
My husband and I retired to KY from So. California late last summer. Most of friends and family could not understand why we would move to KY and our grown children were upset about the move too even though they have moved to other states. We heard lots of ignorant and unkind remarks about Kentucky but the few that had been to KY affirmed our believe that it is a great place to live. Our middle son was the most angry about our moving but in the last 10 months, he has visited us three times and just loves it here - loves the beauty, loves the people - just as we do.

As far as rural Kentucky is concerned - we have been through some of the rural parts of the state and have found that yes, there is lots of smoking, more tatoos, and thick accents. However, we have found that rural Kentuckians are amazingly kind, helpful, respectful and intelligent. Aren't those the traits that we wish everyone had?

I really don't care about ignorant people's perception of KY. What is important is that my husband and I love it here, love the people too....in our case, other people's ignorance is our bliss. KY rocks.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I just moved from rural Kentucky. I'm sorry, but the people aren't either intelligent or friendly. They're not mean, but they're very standoffish and don't go out of their way to make you feel welcome. This is ANYWHERE in downstate Kentucky--Fulton, Prestonsburg, Corbin, Bowling Green, Owensboro, Lawrenceburg, etc. As for non-rural Kentucky, Louisville is a very cliquish city (although actually a bit friendlier than most of the state, but not very engaging nonetheless) and Lexington...don't get me started.

I'm now in Northern Kentucky. Friendlier than the rest of the state in my opinion. However, I work with a lot of clients from Southwest Ohio and I can actually notice a difference b/t NKY and SWOH clients--the Ohio clients are actually, for the most part, a little friendlier and better-mannered than the Kentuckians. Not always, but for the most part. So much for that Kentucky "Southern hospitality."

Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I agree, most Kentuckians (even in Louisville mainly outside the original city limits) have a rural mindset. We love anything "country" and dress, drive and even sometimes talk country
What is a "rural mindset"?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I just moved from rural Kentucky. I'm sorry, but the people aren't either intelligent or friendly. They're not mean, but they're very standoffish and don't go out of their way to make you feel welcome. This is ANYWHERE in downstate Kentucky--Fulton, Prestonsburg, Corbin, Bowling Green, Owensboro, Lawrenceburg, etc. As for non-rural Kentucky, Louisville is a very cliquish city (although actually a bit friendlier than most of the state, but not very engaging nonetheless) and Lexington...don't get me started.

I'm now in Northern Kentucky. Friendlier than the rest of the state in my opinion. However, I work with a lot of clients from Southwest Ohio and I can actually notice a difference b/t NKY and SWOH clients--the Ohio clients are actually, for the most part, a little friendlier and better-mannered than the Kentuckians. Not always, but for the most part. So much for that Kentucky "Southern hospitality."
And the saga continues, it will never end.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
And the saga continues, it will never end.
Bless his little heart.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM

41 posts, read 140,852 times
I am not a native Kentuckian, however I am a Kentuckian by choice and yes, I live in rural Kentucky on top of a nice hill. My family up north thought I was insane...they are typical of those who choose to not wake up and look around them unfortunately. Under no circumstances would I ever consider living anywhere other than rural Kentucky. Yes, we have some eccentic characters..and I love the fact that they feel free enough to just be themselves which includes being kind, neighborly and always ready to lend a helping hand!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 490,828 times
When I moved from very rural very Norther N.Y to Ky 9 yrs ago, people made stupid coments like..."Do they where shoes there?" The problem was that because those people lived in a very rural area...never leaving their small towns, and of course being tied (only in their minds) to the very culturally diverse N.Y.C that they were somehow superior. When in reality anyone who lives in an isolated area and never ventures out will only know what their shown by the T.V. And it seems that Hollywood thinks everyone in rural America is a stupid Hillbilly.

I've in a few small towns here in Ky now...and worked in Frankfort for 5 yrs. I've seen some of the best and worst of Kentuckians. Some towns were very standoffish. I lived in the same house for three yrs. and only met two neighbors. While the people in Frankfort from my co-workers to the customers where always warm and friendly. Now I'm in Western Ky and find it to be a mixed bag. But on a whole I think rural or city every state be it North or South has some measure of all degrees of people...and if those who are making the judgements would step outside of their little corner of the world and keep an open mind I think theird be alot less sterotyping and a more honest view of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky