Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times

Advertisements

The roads here in Graves Co aren't that bad, I went to get fuel for the generator and there are trees down everywhere, roads blocked and power lines down. Every few minutes I here a "gun shot" and I look out to see another huge limb down ... oh well more firewood.

I had to back track several times to find a open road, limb hanging down in the road hitting the cab of the truck as I drove, very few places with power, I heard the entire city of Mayfield is out, as well as some other towns.

Oh great as I was typing this a HUGE part of a tree just hit the ground so hard it shook the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM

270 posts, read 934,537 times
Yep, that pretty much looks like my deck, too! I wanted the snow!! Icemen are a lot harder to make than snowmen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As usual the forecast was off. Here in Lexington we got all ice and no snow

My backyard

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Been trying to call my parents in Mayfield all morning, both by their cell and land line. I figured that was the problem Davart. Thanks. I'll keep trying!
Here's my back yard after last night.
Back yard on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Across street on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tree on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I'm supposed to pick up my husband at the airport tonight at about 8 pm...and I live in Prospect (42 & 329)....and I've not driven on icy roads before. Any suggestions?
The National Weather Service out of Paducah earlier this morning more or less said if you don't need to be out there, stay home! He can find plenty of places to stay for the night. Better for him to stay in a warm hotel and you in a warm home than have your car off in a ditch somewhere with you possibly hurt. Just use common sense!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Been trying to call my parents in Mayfield all morning, both by their cell and land line. I figured that was the problem Davart. Thanks. I'll keep trying!
Here's my back yard after last night.
Back yard on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Across street on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tree on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
My cell is working (AT&T) and my land line is working with the old style phone (no 110V required) ... Note always keep one of these dinosaurs around for just this event.
However my cell has been static and popping. I just called town and no one there that I talk to (could get a hold of) has power. The electric company said they not going to attempt repairs until the storms have passed. Could be a few days before it all back on.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
According to WLEX 18 news at noon the damage in Southern Madison and Garrard Counties is being described as catastrophic with power out to most residents and numerous large trees down. Eastern Kentucky University has no electricity. NWS storm spotters are reporting major damage throughout Western KY, with Carlisle County having 100% power outage and all roads deemed unpassable.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Oh my goodness I couldn't imagine being without power in this cold! My heart goes out to all dealing with that!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM

I drove to Mayfield this afternoon to TRY to get my parents to come up here. That's about like trying to get a politician to tell the truth! lol Stayed for an hour trying to convince them. Said they were going to go to bed around 7 and enjoy the sleep. The Presbyterian Church, up by the post office, has opened up their activity building for people to spend the night. Folks said they would go if it got too bad. I-24 and Purchase Parkway were in great shape. Purchase had some trees had fallen out in one lane but still drove 60-65. Mother asked why I drove that fast in weather like this. I told her to keep from getting pushed off the road! lol

Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
ATT has a major outage in the Bowling Green area affecting cell phones and some landlines. My cell phone has been out most of the day, but the landline still works.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Thank goodness our power lines are underground - course the transformers are not.......Stay safe and warm everyone

By the way, my husband took a taxi from the airport tonight and got home safe and sound...tomorrow morning we are going to take one of the cars up the semi-steep driveway and see if we slide into the flower garden :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky