Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I drove to Mayfield this afternoon to TRY to get my parents to come up here. That's about like trying to get a politician to tell the truth! lol Stayed for an hour trying to convince them. Said they were going to go to bed around 7 and enjoy the sleep. The Presbyterian Church, up by the post office, has opened up their activity building for people to spend the night. Folks said they would go if it got too bad. I-24 and Purchase Parkway were in great shape. Purchase had some trees had fallen out in one lane but still drove 60-65. Mother asked why I drove that fast in weather like this. I told her to keep from getting pushed off the road! lol
Yea, the road really aren't bad except for the trees on them and power lines, they put curfew into effect until further notice in the city.

It's been right at 32-34 degrees as long as it stay there or above we'll get rain and no more ice ... I have enough to clean up as it is, likely will take me a couple of weeks or longer. Likely I'll get the limbs up faster than the power will come back on, I'm going to have to go get fuel again tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,326 times
It's getting worse out here in Henderson, from what I understand; half the county has no power, and most of the surrounding counties are SOL for power too (Hopkins, Mulenburgh, McLean, Daviess, etc...).

Whole state is in a State of Emergency currently, and I just took the dog out, silly boy refused to go on the ice, and instead curled his big ole butt under the roof and pee'd in a puddle right by the house, lol! There's about 3-4" (I am guessing, might be more) of ice/snow mix covering everything. (ice, then snow then lots more ice on top)

It's also raining and causing more problems right now, and all the ice and limbs are crashing all over the area, lights have flickered, and 1 brown out, but so far we are good with power.

Haven't left the house yet, so I dunno how the roads are, but either hubby or I have to go get kerosene soon, and I'll report on that.

Stay safe and warm everyone!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:37 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
We had ice yesterday morning here but it was all melted by early afternoon. There are no power outages in Laurel County. My drive to work was a bit scary.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
The Harold Leader is reporting that as of 10 am 400,000 Kentucky homes don't have power and that the city of Danville has ran out of clean water and is in an emergency situation

Updated 10:10 a.m.: 400,000 without power across Kentucky - Severe Weather - Kentucky.com

Old 01-28-2009, 05:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
WOW I have limit access to the outside, running generator a couple a hours a day, internet on and off, tv same, phone same, the damage here in Grave is MASSIVE, Every tree in my yard over a 100 of them has major damage, there saying power could be out for weeks and nearly everyone in the county is without power I think the news said over 99% powerless, no gas, no food store open ... and next to no warning on this storm. Just about all of western KY is without power, many without water, shelters are full, even the hospital had no power I think the folks there were move to another hospital.
It's the far worse than '93 it's really bad.
Information is sketchy and all over the board so no one knows whats going on.

Not to get political but were the hell is the government? You know the ones pointing fingers in Katrina.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
WOW I have limit access to the outside, running generator a couple a hours a day, internet on and off, tv same, phone same, the damage here in Grave is MASSIVE, Every tree in my yard over a 100 of them has major damage, there saying power could be out for weeks and nearly everyone in the county is without power I think the news said over 99% powerless, no gas, no food store open ... and next to no warning on this storm. Just about all of western KY is without power, many without water, shelters are full, even the hospital had no power I think the folks there were move to another hospital.

Not to get political but were the hell is the government? You know the ones pointing fingers in Katrina.
I kind of see your point there.
Have experienced many awful winter storms, seems they don't get the recognition of summer weather problems, yet often cause just as much destruction ect.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post

Stay safe then babe! It's not quite that bad in Henderson, but it's still pretty nasty. I just made a long post in the weather section about it.

Stay safe everyone, and keep warm!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Cav, I have a son in Sturgis and one in Hanson. both without power. Son in Hanson has gas heat for him and his family. Sturgis son and his mother staying warm with kerosene and gas heat. Can't get hold of either one of them. Cell phone service isn'w working. We can get land line calls in and a few out. My dad has been listening to Channel 6 on the radio and heard power may be out for a week or more so they got in the car and drove up here. I'm glad they did!
Davart, take it easy! Glad you have a generator! My dad said he would open the refrigerator door every now and then to let some cold air IN the fridge! lol

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
I've been trying to get a call through to Western Kentucky, and both land lines and cell lines are making the fast busy signal. Davart and kygman, at this time your updates are my only information about the area. Thanks for continuing to post.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Cav, I have a son in Sturgis and one in Hanson. both without power. Son in Hanson has gas heat for him and his family. Sturgis son and his mother staying warm with kerosene and gas heat. Can't get hold of either one of them. Cell phone service isn'w working. We can get land line calls in and a few out. My dad has been listening to Channel 6 on the radio and heard power may be out for a week or more so they got in the car and drove up here. I'm glad they did!
Davart, take it easy! Glad you have a generator! My dad said he would open the refrigerator door every now and then to let some cold air IN the fridge! lol

From what I understand Sturgis got hit pretty hard, but Hanson/Madisonville area, is just as bad if not worse when that damn tornado hit there a few years ago. Total clusterf**k!

Our cable is still out, so is the internet (see weather post for explanation), and due to the net being gone so is the phone. The cell is iffy at best.

I was thankful at least that we still had heat while the power was out, since we heat with kerosene heaters. But that won't last much longer, since damn near everywhere is sold out.

But at least the electric blankets work now, if we run out of oil, lol!

I did talk to my MIL today and her Dad (my grandpa in law) is at the VA hospital in Hanson, and they were ok, so hopefully your family in both areas are good too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky