Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times

Advertisements

Sunshine I'm not going to argue with you, you want it your way or no way and that's not reasonable.

I never said school was a babysitting service you're spinning my words, I said IF the kids AREN'T in school PARENT that have to go to WORK will have to find a SITTER for those kids. Jeez know the difference. You're desire would put a lot of hardship on a lot of people just because you don't have power, but still manage to get on the internet without a generator.

What are your kids learning setting at home in the dark holding their water? Nothing, nada, zip ...

There are tons of people who will help you set a generator up, hell I'll help you set one up. The volunteer Fire Department will, any farmer will, 100's of people will if you just ask them.

If you don't want to hardwire it as KYdad95 showed you, you can start it and run extension cords from it, you can do that right? If you can start a lawn mower you can start a generator.

Don't know where you're kids go to school but mine came home just now with homework. Quite a bit of it and they are doing it now.

Try to see the big picture and beyond your own 4 walls.

Quote:
But, I am not able to install a generator and I will not endanger my family, by trying to fool with something like that. I have attempted to hire a handyman to do some work on the house, I cannot FIND anyone....I guess you will say that is "my fault," too...my husband is not here, who do you suggest I call to assist me, or am I supposed to try to install a generator by myself?
I'm a handyman, I know dozens of them and if you called me or any of the ones I know they would have shown up and gave you a quote. You can go to any hardware store and get stacks of handyman cards. Some better than others so get references.

Last edited by Davart; 02-11-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
#1, my name isn't "Sunshine."
Stop projecting onto me. You don't know me, you don't know a thing about me.
For some reason you are utterly unable to even discuss a subject like education
without getting personal. That's just wrong.

I know all about the issues of childcare and working. I have been a parent
for over ten years. I don't need anyone to explain those sort of things to me.

As I have TRIED to explain, over and over, my priority is the education my
children are receiving, when you discuss school calendars. When you look at
school and whether it should, or should not, be in session. The quality of the work
done and the education received. The school has already admitted they are
compromising. Yes when it comes to my children I am a stickler for quality.
That sets me apart from many people around here.

All these people who you claim are so, so eager to help me set a generator up??
Get serious, I have not been able to HIRE someone (as in pay them money), to
do anything where I live. I would not ask anyone to help me set up a generator,
I don't expect folks to come and help me, unless and until it is an emergency....
and even then, honey I'm not going to hold my breath.

I am perfectly happy to PAY SOMEONE for their time and trouble, I don't
expect anybody to work for free. It's just amazing to me, that you can be
willing to PAY CASH, and you still cannot get anyone to come and just do very
basic things.

I don't know where your kids go to school but okay so your kids have homework,
are you telling me that I am lying? I was told by an official of the school that
my child attends, that they would NOT be assigning homeowork. Are you calling
her a liar, now?

You seem unable to visualize anything beyond your own experience.

Quote:
I'm a handyman, I know dozens of them and if you called me or any of the ones I know they would have shown up and gave you a quote.
I put an ad up for a handyman. Couldn't get a soul to even come out here. So
don't tell me, that it is easy to get a handyman. I tried and gave up, because
there is no one willing to work, not even for cash.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
#1, my name isn't "Sunshine."
I put an ad up for a handyman. Couldn't get a soul to even come out here. So
don't tell me, that it is easy to get a handyman. I tried and gave up, because
there is no one willing to work, not even for cash.
Well SUNDANCE, I'm sorry I misread your name it was not typed to belittle you.

Where did you put it up? You wanted someone to come to you? You have to call them, they don't call you. Most have enough work to do they don't go looking at fliers. I know I never look at them.

Go to Meyers Lumber, tell Phil Meyers you need a handyman he'll hand you a stacks of cards to call and tell you which ones are good. You're at the library it's just a few blocks away. Go to Haygood Lumber on Paris Rd, go to Arrett Decorating and ask Peggy, go to Lowe's jeez if you can't find a handyman it's because you didn't look for one.

I don't know what to tell you, you want to be mad, then be mad I'm not going to let it take space up in my mind rent free.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Sundance, you go buy the generator and I will hook it up for you for FREE!!! Here is what you need:

At least a 5000 watt generator
Two 12-gauge extension cords, 50-100 feet a piece
Two 5-gallon cans of gasoline, filled
One quart of oil

Pour the oil into the motor, fill the tank with gas, flip the "on/off" switch to "on", pull out the choke lever, pull the cord once or twice to crank the engine, push the choke lever back in, plug in the extension cords to the generator, run the cords to whatever you desire to run and plug them in.

If you run too much wattage, you will simply trip the breaker on the generator. It is really fool-proof. I am serious, I can set it up for you. I am sorry if you think I am trying to belittle you, but there is not much people on a message board can really do to help. Oh and when you get the extension cords, make sure the ends have three outlets per cord, so you can plug in more things:

Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Sundance, you go buy the generator and I will hook it up for you for FREE!!! Here is what you need:

One quart of oil

Pour the oil into the motor, fill the tank with gas, flip the "on/off" switch to "on", pull out the choke lever, pull the cord once or twice to crank the engine, push the choke lever back in, plug in the extension cords to the generator, run the cords to whatever you desire to run and plug them in.

If you run too much wattage, you will simply trip the breaker on the generator. It is really fool-proof. I am serious, I can set it up for you. I am sorry if you think I am trying to belittle you, but there is not much people on a message board can really do to help. Oh and when you get the extension cords, make sure the ends have three outlets per cord, so you can plug in more things:
I offered to help her set one up for FREE too ... but one no will help her.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

One quart of oil

Thank you for your kind offer, but really...I have no problem at all paying someone for working. I wouldn't expect anyone to come here and do this for free. I'm happy to pay you, or anyone else I can hire.

I will PM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky