Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 AM

39 posts, read 199,379 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seeking a much less populous area than Roanoke Valley of Virginia where we now live (about 250,000 people). We have possible job options in both Murray and Bowling Green. We keep horses and will be commuting in from the country to work in town. Here, this process is very unpleasant, twice a day dealing with insane rush hour traffic. I spend about 30 minutes in bumper to bumper, 70 mph conditions with lots of very bad driving behavior going on. It's a source a stress than I'd like to eliminate from my life as much as possible.

Obviously there will be more traffic around Bowling Green than Murray but just how bad is it? Any other comparative information would be useful and appreciated. We're leaning toward Murray but will follow the jobs. Proximity to the LBL is another plus for Murray....lots of horse trails there I understand. Also horse trails at Mammoth Cave though so either place could work.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quite frankly, you will probably like either area. Murray is much more quiet than Bowling Green. Good luck

Old 04-21-2007, 08:26 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,051 times
I agree, Bowling Green has alot more traffic, Murray is a lot more laid back! For me, it is Apples and Oranges.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM

I know what you mean about apples and oranges. Murray seems to be much more in tune with what we're looking for. My wife went out there a couple of weeks ago and came back with very favorable reviews. She already has a job offer so I think we'll be trying to move out there this summer. So far, the only complaints I've heard about Murray are the usual "nothing to do" (which sounds great to me) and the "dry" county thing, which doesn't seem like a huge issue given the proximity of the Tenn. border. I do like my occasional bottle of Pinot Noir. Looks like Murray here we come.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
I know what you mean about apples and oranges. Murray seems to be much more in tune with what we're looking for. My wife went out there a couple of weeks ago and came back with very favorable reviews. She already has a job offer so I think we'll be trying to move out there this summer. So far, the only complaints I've heard about Murray are the usual "nothing to do" (which sounds great to me) and the "dry" county thing, which doesn't seem like a huge issue given the proximity of the Tenn. border. I do like my occasional bottle of Pinot Noir. Looks like Murray here we come.
I personally feel BG is a lot more progressive and has more to do than Murray. Both are good, growing towns though. BG has actually gotten much bigger than Murray, and is really starting attract people who would rather live in a small town than in Nashville.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 AM

94 posts, read 612,652 times
All I can say is, I'd kill to be back in Murray.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 49,225 times
depends on what else you are looking for...murray is smaller, cheaper, not as diverse, and a bit behind the times; bowling green is more progressive, but more expensive to live in...having lived both places, i would definitely choose bowling green

Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Decided on Murray

Murray wins out, in our case, mainly due to my wife accepting a job there. For us, smaller is definitely better and "behind the times" is okay too seeing as the current times aren't all that great in a lot of ways. People who prefer Bowling Green seem to like the diversions and cultural opportunities offered by a bigger place. Our major recreation comes from horseback riding, hiking and small farm life so the Murray area should be a good fit. I don't care if I never see another mall. We just bought 26 acres north of town which should keep us busy. Seems like a good area to just kick back and cocoon, hang with the animals and go to Lowes and the grocery store once in a while. We don't require much more than that....maybe a small boat if the lakes seem inviting. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. We're so anxious to get out there.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
Thumbs up Sounds Wonderful!

Thanks for the feedback on your decision bmacdo. Hope it's everything you have dreamed it will be. Give us an update in a few months on how it's going.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
Murray wins out, in our case, mainly due to my wife accepting a job there. For us, smaller is definitely better and "behind the times" is okay too seeing as the current times aren't all that great in a lot of ways. People who prefer Bowling Green seem to like the diversions and cultural opportunities offered by a bigger place. Our major recreation comes from horseback riding, hiking and small farm life so the Murray area should be a good fit. I don't care if I never see another mall. We just bought 26 acres north of town which should keep us busy. Seems like a good area to just kick back and cocoon, hang with the animals and go to Lowes and the grocery store once in a while. We don't require much more than that....maybe a small boat if the lakes seem inviting. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. We're so anxious to get out there.
I've visited Murray several times and always found it fun. If you like wine, don't forget about the Southern Illinois wine trail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: