Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 PM

37 posts, read 79,779 times

Advertisements

Hi all~I hope someone could share some information with me. I'm looking at jobs in healthcare and there are 3 positions in these 3 cities/towns. Would be moving from PA and haven't been to any of these areas and hoping for some help. Important to us-would want to live within 20-25 min but need to be in a rural setting for home. Looking for 10+ acres for horses. Desire a very good school district too. Housing costs $200-250K most desirable. Crime, general feel on these areas would be helpful.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

154 posts, read 533,851 times
I am orginally from Irvine, I frequently drove to Jackson, as people in the area about the hospital, its horable. The schools there are really bad to. Ashland not sure about healthcare, but the school from what I have seen are okay. Not sure about maysville.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,504 times
Ashland has the best schools of the three cities you listed (good, but not great). It's a relatively small city, and the nearest neighboring population centers are Charleston, WV and Huntington, WV. I haven't spent alot of time there, but I believe you could find a 10 acre property suitable for horses near there.

Maysville is a cute historic river town, but their schools rate a bit lower than Ashland's. It's the closest to a major city (Cincinnati, a little over an hour's drive away). I think you could find the kind of property you want near there as well.

Jackson is nestled in a very hilly region near Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge. It's a beautiful area and great for camping and hiking. But the schools rate really low. I believe Lexington is the nearest city and about 1.5 hours drive. Because of the hills, it might be harder to find land around there with pastures and good terrain for riding horses, but I could be wrong about that.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. Any is welcomed! Having not been there before I guess it will take a visit to get a sense of the areas.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Of the three, I'd say Ashland. Maysville is a very nice town however, it's just smaller. Both Ashland and Maysville have good schools. I don't know anything about Jackson.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Maysville is the quaintest Ohio River town I've very been to. They have a great historic district and my two favorite bridges over the Ohio River in America

Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Jobs in Kentucky? East of I-75?

Good luck!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Yes actually, King's Daughter's Medical Center. There seems to always be a need in healthcare.
Does anyone have any information on the Medical Center? There is also some private groups needing help in the Maysville area.
Thanks.....

Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelleigh View Post
Yes actually, King's Daughter's Medical Center. There seems to always be a need in healthcare.
Does anyone have any information on the Medical Center? There is also some private groups needing help in the Maysville area.
Thanks.....
Kings Daughters has been rated one of the best places to work before. It's a wonderful hospital and I've always been treated well there. My obstetrician practices in the Medical Plaza and I delivered both of my daughters at KDMC, as well as having had a few other out patient procedures there. I live almost 2 hours from KDMC, but prefer it over closer hospitals.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Jobs in Kentucky? East of I-75?

Good luck!!!
My husband's company is hiring. Provided you aren't afraid of heights and have a fondness for chainsaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky