Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am from the United States (the same country Kennedy was from when he singled out the Appalachians some 40 + years ago)

He believed it would take--FEDERAL------money to help those areas
Any help in the future will also take---FEDERAL--money.

Yes, I do pay ---FEDERAL--income taxes and have been paying ---FEDERAL--income taxes longer than the majority of posters here.
Hmmm, you mean Minnesota??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 PM

180 posts, read 596,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post

I am a Kentuckian and am damn proud of it. And I am just about at my limit on seeing my state, my region thrown into the gutter.

I can understand your pain. I was born in Owensboro and raised in Central City until I moved to Lexington in 2000 and then here (Nashville) about six years ago. I laugh when my co-workers try to crack on me being from Kentucky when they are native to Tennessee, a state that is considerably more "Hillbilly" than my home state. LOL!! Still, I love my home state and would love to see the media ease up on it sometimes. But I digress.....

Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am from the United States (the same country Kennedy was from when he singled out the Appalachians some 40 + years ago)

He believed it would take--FEDERAL------money to help those areas
Any help in the future will also take---FEDERAL--money.

Yes, I do pay ---FEDERAL--income taxes and have been paying ---FEDERAL--income taxes longer than the majority of posters here.
So what are you saying we don't pay Federal income taxes? Federal money is not going to help the area, you just can't keep throwing money at a problem, cut tax rates and allow the PRIVATE development of advance coal technology and you'll help the area.
I don't live in eastern KY but have a lot of family there and they don't want handouts, they want opportunity.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM

295 posts, read 974,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
So what are you saying we don't pay Federal income taxes? Federal money is not going to help the area, you just can't keep throwing money at a problem, cut tax rates and allow the PRIVATE development of advance coal technology and you'll help the area.
I don't live in eastern KY but have a lot of family there and they don't want handouts, they want opportunity.

I tried to rep you Davart and couldn't so here's some rep from the Nightrider.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
I don't understand all you native Kentuckians (did I spell that right?) being so convinced this program will be an attempt to slander your great state.

I am very interested to see this Diane Sawyer report, as I think she is normally a very fair and balanced reporter. But also, the subject of poverty in America is one ALL Americans should care about. Maybe you feel like your state has been the butt of one two many bad hick jokes, though in all fairness I think that unfortunate honor goes to West Virginia (another beautiful state undeserving of the ribbing), but try not to be so overly sensitive, many of us love your state and we don't see this kind of reporting as a way to make you all look bad.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 PM

295 posts, read 974,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't understand all you native Kentuckians (did I spell that right?) being so convinced this program will be an attempt to slander your great state.

I am very interested to see this Diane Sawyer report, as I think she is normally a very fair and balanced reporter. But also, the subject of poverty in America is one ALL Americans should care about. Maybe you feel like your state has been the butt of one two many bad hick jokes, though in all fairness I think that unfortunate honor goes to West Virginia (another beautiful state undeserving of the ribbing), but try not to be so overly sensitive, many of us love your state and we don't see this kind of reporting as a way to make you all look bad.
I don't feel I am overly sensitive in the least. I have seen a lot of Kentucky bashing. A lot of people get their info from the media and a lot of the time, media is misleading.

But you know, in it's own terrible way, maybe it is kind of a good thing that people think that we are oh so stupid. That way, they wont know that we have bit them in the rear till it's too late.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 17,553 times
I live in Chicago now but I grew up in a semi-country like area. Some friends had public transportation nearby and others lived on farms (that are almost all gone now because of developers wanting the land and the ease increasing property taxes to force THOSE people out). As I see it those folks down in kentucky dont really need our help, they can fish, hunt, grow there own food, and even brew and distill there own, well you know. But the the government makes them pay property taxes (for all the community services they provide *cough - yaeh right - cough*) makes them pay for licences and permits to hunt and fish, requires permits and zoning to rebuild costing fee and legal hassels, tells they they cannot make there own booze (why is that, prohibition ended) , but force them to buy it from some other taxed company with taxed labels and taxes gas. And then when there money is all gone the government has to help. The question really is, is money the problem or is government the problem. Now for the government to help them (forced help great!) they will destroy the most valuable thing they have, being the fabric of their community, there culture, tradition and way of life? The people there are more american the everyone in washington combined, my kind of people even though we may seem very different ....Oh yonder stands little Maggie........DID I MENTION EVICTIONS, CODEMING PROPERTY SO MINERAL RIGHTS CAN BE FULFILLED?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 PM

247 posts, read 751,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The 2 most loyal Democratic voting groups in America are inner city Blacks and White people in Eastern KY and West Virginia. They are also the 2 poorest groups of people in the nation.
where did you get that info? Usually the populations with the highest level of education in the US are democrats.

Last edited by Coach_B; 02-13-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
It depends on which county over here you live in..Some, like Pike, are mainly Democrats, others probably quite a few are mainly Republican..FFYI I am from Ohio where I was a registered Independent..Here I had to make a choice between the Red and Blue..I asked who was the underdog party, therefore I registered Republican Come General Election in November I vote for the man/woman I feel most suited for the job...not party..

Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Default To rjim in Chicago

So when was the last time you visited, spent any time, or lived in Eastern Ky? Obviously you know diddly about it I have spent time in Chicago, don't particularly care to live there, but I would not jump in the Chicago forum just to spam the good folk there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky