Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM

247 posts, read 751,307 times

Advertisements

I completed my bachelors degree in business last year & I'm working on my masters in business and I cannot find a job. I've been unemployed since last year. Anyone have any suggestions? Obviously the economy is ****ty but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
We're fortunate enough that my husband is in one of those industries that always needs workers. However, my brother in law has been searching for well over a year now without any luck.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
I've always found a job, it might not be the job I wanted or liked but I found one. As long as there are help wanted ads, there are jobs. might not be in your field, might not need a degree, might not be the money you want but there are jobs.

I can go to town right now and find dozens of help wanted signs.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I have been looking for a job since May 08. My problem is I have been in college at least part time since 2003 and haven't held down any job in retail for more than 5 months. The only people getting hired in retail seem to be people who want to work at it as a full time job and/ or have experience in management. I took the 75 hours of training and passed the state boards needed to be a Certified Nurse Assistant and have had several good interviews but no job offer. About half of the places want 1+ year of experience, it seems like the others in Lexington seem a little worried that I am planning on moving back to Louisville to go to school in August. Since it's almost March I may end up getting a job in Louisville and paying apartment rent 5 extra months.

I have a cousin (and her husband) who work for a company that supplies parts to Toyota Georgetown. She took off for maternity leave and hasn't been able to find a job since (even with a lot of job experience) and her husband is worried about getting laid off since Toyota has dramatically cut back on Camry/ Avalon/ Solara production

Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM

247 posts, read 751,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I've always found a job, it might not be the job I wanted or liked but I found one. As long as there are help wanted ads, there are jobs. might not be in your field, might not need a degree, might not be the money you want but there are jobs.

This might be true. Maybe I'm too picky but, I don't want to do fast food or retail ..the typical "16 year old" jobs--but I'm not picky other than that. I'd be fine with $9/hr being an assistant or teller or something, which considering I'm 6 credits shy of a masters degree I think is pretty "open"

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have a cousin (and her husband) who work for a company that supplies parts to Toyota Georgetown. She took off for maternity leave and hasn't been able to find a job since (even with a lot of job experience) and her husband is worried about getting laid off since Toyota has dramatically cut back on Camry/ Avalon/ Solara production
Good luck!
My brother was laid off from an automotive supplier company in December and can't find anything either. He was making six figures and now is living on unemployment.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I completed my bachelors degree in business last year & I'm working on my masters in business and I cannot find a job. I've been unemployed since last year. Anyone have any suggestions? Obviously the economy is ****ty but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask..

Good Luck with your search. The Hubs and I have been wanting to move back for over a year now and the job market there isn't the greatest. We both have great well paying jobs here and want something similar there. Luckily we have the time to wait it out.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Let's see...I've applied for approximately 200 jobs (no joke!!!) since February '08 everywhere from New York to Houston to Seattle to Los Angeles, and many of those have been in Kentucky.

I had one interview offer in Lubbock, but couldn't get down there fast enough due to insufficient personal funds. Had two interviews right here at home in Frankfort, but nothing ever came out of those. I've had several professionals compliment me on my strong resume and construction thereof, but compliments are even better when you can actually find a real job.

Talking to connections, networking online, trying to get back on at the state (for the time being) where I used to work. Nothing has worked. If I can find even a $28000 job in Houston or Dallas or $40000 job in NYC (and not live like a prince, but that's not what I'm looking for anyway,) that would be great. But I'm also realistic enough to know that I live in a state where the job market and unemployment rate are so dismal that banks aren't even hiring. I'm just happy to have my nice, easy job in retail for now and certainly don't plan to let that go.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Let's see...I've applied for approximately 200 jobs (no joke!!!) since February '08 everywhere from New York to Houston to Seattle to Los Angeles, and many of those have been in Kentucky.

I had one interview offer in Lubbock, but couldn't get down there fast enough due to insufficient personal funds. Had two interviews right here at home in Frankfort, but nothing ever came out of those. I've had several professionals compliment me on my strong resume and construction thereof, but compliments are even better when you can actually find a real job.

Talking to connections, networking online, trying to get back on at the state (for the time being) where I used to work. Nothing has worked. If I can find even a $28000 job in Houston or Dallas or $40000 job in NYC (and not live like a prince, but that's not what I'm looking for anyway,) that would be great. But I'm also realistic enough to know that I live in a state where the job market and unemployment rate are so dismal that banks aren't even hiring. I'm just happy to have my nice, easy job in retail for now and certainly don't plan to let that go.
Dude, $40K in NYC you'd be living on the street. Unless the prices have dropped, which I doubt NYC is extremely expensive to live in.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post

What are you smoking??? It must be really good stuff!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
What are you smoking??? It must be really good stuff!
Not smoking anything, I just don't set around waiting for someone to find it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky