Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 08:29 AM
dkk dkk started this thread

3 posts, read 19,130 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in Owensboro. I am curious to the environment. I come from a small city north of Dayton, Ohio of 7,000 with beautiful open spaces, bike paths, parks, a pictureque small main street. What is Owensboro like? Do they have parks, bike paths, and state parks nearby? Do people take great pride in their properties? Is it a friendly place?

The cost of living seems a lower than Dayton, especially in housing.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 82,887 times
We've been in Owensboro for over 9 years. I think people take pride in the community. As with most places, there are a few areas that look a bit run down and unkept but I would guess that Owensboro is above average as far as maintenance and pride in their property.

Friendly? That's a hard question. People are definitely not rude but for the most part, if your great, great, great, great grandparents aren't from Owensboro, you're always considered an outsider here.

There is a state park here - Ben Hawes, but it isn't your typical state park. It's mostly just a golf course - no camping facilities or cabins/lodge. There are some beautiful state parks within a couple of hours of here - Kentucky Lake has two really nice state parks with beautiful lodges and cabins. Pennyrile State Forest also has a beautiful park.

The Greenbelt is a bike/walking path that runs around some of the subdivisions and circles parts of the town. There are several county/city parks that are nice and have walking trails.

Owensboro is a great place to raise a family!

Quilter

Old 11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
dkk dkk started this thread

3 posts, read 19,130 times
Thank you for your response! I spent two days in Owensboro last month and the people seemed lovely! I did see some of the town, but one full day was spent at the company getting interviewed. It was an extremely rainy and difficult to drive and look.

Again thank you for taking time to write - it makes me feel better to know someone from Owensboro!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,165 times
I've lived in Owensboro all of my life (21 years) and I can say that we take extream pride (on average) about how everything in town looks. The people are friendly, and I can only say that because I've traveled quite a bit, and I'd rather be home most of the time. Everyone is very helpful.
I'm not sure why quilter feels like one would be shunned for not being a native for generations back, but I can assure you that does not make you an outsider. In fact, if you do find someone who has been here for multiple generations, it's fun to sit back and talk to them about how much this town has actually grown, it's quite shocking how small we used to be.
Good luck on your move, we'll be happy to have you!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM

145 posts, read 518,741 times
Owensboro is an industrial town and certainly has that feel to it. Their are factories right in downtown...I think one is a soybean plant followed by the electric company and so on. Downtown is a bit rundown other than the river center and to say the town is growing is a joke. The Executive Inn "the E" as called there is an empty rotting building and is a good symbol of how the town is moving. Once the E was the mecca of western kentucky for entertainment and top of the line hotel experience. However that was years ago and it failed to upgrade and change with the times..just as the city has. If you drive around you see a lot of emtpy buildings downtown, empty or rundown homes and a dreary industrial feel to the whole place. The people are very friendly but resist change and the city is now suffering for it. They voted against a proposal to have an entertainment center built. The people there just don't like new things. Owensboro is starving for some new ammenitites..just look at Chedders and how busy it is. The housing is cheap..the schools are for the most part decent and the people are friendly but it is an isolated place to live. Owensboro is in the middle of nowhere to find more mainstream places to shop or eat you must drive to evansville or louisville. Bottom line...the people are kind, and you will be fine if you move here but it is a run down town and moving in the wrong direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: