Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are slugs in Kentucky. It's a very wet climate and they love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

180 posts, read 748,306 times
Most of the 'bugs' here in Idaho are not much more than a mere annoyance ... wasps are a pain.,but the only snakes I've encountered are non posionous here .... garter snakes ... like a gardensnake and a friendly one we like to have! I need to read up more about the ones in KY to identify them!!

What about 'slugs'? Do you have them? There is a pesky little thing I haven't thought about in a long time! Haven't seen them here either~~since the prefer a very humid/moist climate!

Was wondering too about the gopher population, (maybe also called ground squirrel) and mice or moles. Those little devils can create leg-beaking holes for our alpacas if we don't add a little mineral oil and other natural ingredients to their 'holes' to chase them away after filling the holes they dug with more dirt!

Still wanting to live in KY! Can hardly wait to get there! My grandbaby is nearby!!! And I want to MOVE!!!

Thanks for all the input!

pacalady

Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Most Kentucky snakes are harmless. There are about 4 poisonous varieties, but I have N E V E R seen any of the 4. Not in all the decades I've lived in Kentucky. I have had cats who would catch little brown garden snakes, though. Very cute sight.

Yes to slugs - very humid, rainy environment. Slugs love it. You know what loves to eat slugs? Box turtles.

No gophers. Yes to squirrels and chipmunks.

Yes to mice and moles. Yes, they dig the holes and tunnels. I'm so glad you know the good tricks to chase them off! I wish you had been around to teach me how to do it.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
If you do enough hiking or other recreation in the woods, you will eventually run across a Copperhead. Timber Rattlers live here, but I've yet to seen one. Although I've heard the rattles before in a nearby patch of brush.
Snakes and other critters aside, the one thing that sends chills up my spine is a Wasp. I hate those things with a passion. I'm a pretty big guy, but I don't hesitate to run from those dang things!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Most Kentucky snakes are harmless. There are about 4 poisonous varieties, but I have N E V E R seen any of the 4. Not in all the decades I've lived in Kentucky. I have had cats who would catch little brown garden snakes, though. Very cute sight.

Yes to slugs - very humid, rainy environment. Slugs love it. You know what loves to eat slugs? Box turtles.

Yes to mice and moles. Yes, they dig the holes and tunnels. I'm so glad you know the good tricks to chase them off! I wish you had been around to teach me how to do it.
Yes to groundhogs too and those little boogers are bold. I see them sitting on the side of major roads eating and they don't seem to care that we're there lol For some reason I have never seen chipmunks in my part of town but see them all over the zoo. Squirrels are everywhere. By the way, I have kin in Idaho, my uncle ended up there after the air force and my aunt ended up there too and they both had families while there Small world

Last edited by missymomof3; 02-24-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Oh here is a link that can help you: Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife Species Information

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Most Kentucky snakes are harmless. There are about 4 poisonous varieties, but I have N E V E R seen any of the 4. Not in all the decades I've lived in Kentucky.
You need to get out on the country more ... especially the woods.

I'll see 1 or 2 rattlers a years and about a 1000 copperheads, I've already run across several this year on warm days and a few in the wood pile while getting wood for the fire ... copperheads love wood and rock piles.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You need to get out on the country more ... especially the woods.

I'll see 1 or 2 rattlers a years and about a 1000 copperheads, I've already run across several this year on warm days and a few in the wood pile while getting wood for the fire ... copperheads love wood and rock piles.
Cottonmouths are only found in the area of Land Between the lakes but I have seen copperheads. As a matter of fact, a baby was brought into the zoo that was found in a city park!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
You need to get out on the country more ... especially the woods..
hehe, no thanks! No snakes, no ticks, no thanks! You are welcome to my share of them.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Cottonmouths are only found in the area of Land Between the lakes but I have seen copperheads. As a matter of fact, a baby was brought into the zoo that was found in a city park!
No doubt there's plenty of Copperheads in the city parks or farmland around Jefferson County. I grew up in Oldham county and could occasionally run across a Copperhead. Now that I'm down in Laurel Co, I'm pretty much guaranteed to see one in the woods from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: