Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
I live in Dayton and there is mass unemployment here. When one factory goes under and puts 2,000 out of work (4,000 over three years) that is a lot of people. And there is more than one big factory doing this. So people have to leave town for work.

You're actually seeing abandoned suburbs here in Dayton. Some pix: The New Suburban Gothic
Welcome to O-merica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Welcome to O-merica.
Yeah, Obama created this situation in his 5 weeks in office.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
I live in Dayton and there is mass unemployment here. When one factory goes under and puts 2,000 out of work (4,000 over three years) that is a lot of people. And there is more than one big factory doing this. So people have to leave town for work.

You're actually seeing abandoned suburbs here in Dayton. Some pix: The New Suburban Gothic
Wow I don't know what to say!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM

180 posts, read 596,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post

I agree. The Bush apologist in the Kentucky forum are staggering.

I am surprised, but not let down I guess, people are still going on about the Sawyer piece. I suppose it should be expected, but come on people. Let's move on here. I doubt a dedicated thread or two will change anyone's opinion about Eastern Kentucky. They have to visit to see for themselves and until they do, it's pointless.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
---"They have to visit for themselves"

You mean Diane Sawyer didn't visit those areas where the documentary was shot?

I could have sworn it sure looked like her.

Was it actually West Virginia where she was filming it ?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Do you have any idea how the markets work? They work on projections of future events and what is happening today is based on what they think will happen down the road. Markets work on 6-8 month forecast.

And when the polls showed Obama with a commanding lead, the Dow was over 11,000 ... it's 7000 today and headed lower.

You can't keep blaming Bush forever, at some point Obama will have to take responsibility for the mess he is making and it is a mess he's making.

Please respond with the typical "It's the republicans fault" pat answer or "You haven't given Obama a chance".

You wanted change, well that's all you're going to have left.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Why do you have such an issue with Eastern KY? Have you been there? What was shown on TV is not what Eastern KY looks like, only a small percentage is like that.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:45 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
--------" only a small percentage is like that "-----

I don't recall Diane Sawyer saying that the vast majority of Eastern KY is like that.

Seems most Kentuckians are offended by things she didn't even say and didn't even infer.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM

180 posts, read 596,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Firstly, let me show you how to use the proper quote feature on here. As opposed to your current scheme.

I never once said what you are implying I said. Far from it. Matter of fact, you are taking a point and running your own way with it. My point is that there is the "Media's Eastern Kentucky" and then there is the "Eastern Kentucky" that everyone lives in. I know, i've been there and have friends from there. Yeah, in places it is THAT BAD, but in others the State of Kentucky has poured MONEY into them like nobody's business. I'd dare say Frankfort has spent more money in E. KY than most other geographical parts of the state over the last 10-15 years. Just my opinion though.

To say that what was on TV "isn't" Eastern Kentucky is to be lying to one's self though. That is Eastern Kentucky. There wasn't an open casting call for the documentry so.......

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Here's a great radio station located in Whitesburg, Ky. Good music, interesting news, and real people. I'd smoke some with them anyday! It's people that want to preserve their authentic culture, improve living conditions and protect their environment.
WMMT FM 88.7 | Real People Radio (http://appalshop.org/wmmt/ - broken link)
this is a cool station. I think Ill go to sleep with it.

I concur with others she had an angle she was trying to portray . Those of us who have been to cities in Eastern KY know the truth.
I like it because it real and some towns time has forgot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky