Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,540 times

Advertisements

I bought some property in Irvington and am planning on moving there within the next 2 years. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
njo

2 posts, read 7,038 times
I dont know where your from but Irvington is probably in the top 3 worst cities in NJ. Its on the same level as Camden and Camden was the most dangerous place in the country in both 04 and 05 i think. I go to school in the next town over and have to drive through it everyday. Lets just say its not the nicest place in the world. Good luck and by the club for your car and make sure you know your car insurance company's phone # by heart.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 PM

76 posts, read 365,010 times
Dude,

I think Christy meant Irvington, KY!!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
njo

2 posts, read 7,038 times
oh... then i have no idea

Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM

88 posts, read 382,359 times
Default Means Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by njo View Post
I dont know where your from but Irvington is probably in the top 3 worst cities in NJ. Its on the same level as Camden and Camden was the most dangerous place in the country in both 04 and 05 i think. I go to school in the next town over and have to drive through it everyday. Lets just say its not the nicest place in the world. Good luck and by the club for your car and make sure you know your car insurance company's phone # by heart.
I think the thread starter meant Irvington, KY.

I personally wouldn't live there, as I don't care for po-dunk country towns. BUT, you are 30 minutes from Elizabethtown, which would make for a nice day trip from I'ton. I believe it is in the process of having a second Super Wal-Mart built. It already has Barnes & Noble, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, O'Charley's, a mall, and two Krogers (I believe). It is a large enough town that it has two bypasses, and there was a tentative plan to extend the outer beltline (KY 3005 - Ring Road) to the Western KY Parkway, which would be nice. You're also 45 minutes from the southside of Louisville and 60 minutes from Owensboro.

Personally, I'd rather live IN one of these areas. But, I understand why people like quieter, simpler lifestyles. There is a TINY Wal-Mart in Hardinsburg, about 15-20 miles west of I'ton off US 60, and it was built in the 1980s. That's it. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:42 PM

14 posts, read 39,880 times
Cool Irvington KY

Just don't speed through town.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Thanks to all

Yes I was referring to Irvington Kentucky.

I have been "investigating" the area on my own and yes there is nothing to do there but I still love it!!!! It is quiet and peaceful. I spend almost every weekend out there. Sometimes we camp, sometimes we drive around and other times we just go out and look and then drive back home. We went to "Down Home Days" yesterday in Big Springs (about the equivalent to a church picnic in Louisville).

I will have to say, gas is cheaper out there!! I have heard a couple of times not to speed through town but I have never seen a cop. I usually use 333 to get to the property though.

I am moving from Louisville to Irvington. My property is located about 13 miles from Hardinsburg, 43 miles from Louisville (where I currently live), 25 miles from Rough River and I believe about 25 miles from Etown.

My only major concern is that I cannot get DSL at my property. Something has to give in that area because I have to have it for work since I work at home. Satelite internet is completely unacceptable.

We still have a lot of work to do out there and I probably will not get to move until DSL is offered, bummer for me!

Anyway, thanks to all who replied!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,408,043 times
Small towns are a acquired taste, I live in a small town, well actually the small town is 14 miles away. But it provides me with most of my needs. You will get you po-dunk, nothing to do, BFE, hicksville comment from many of those that lack the imagination to think outside of the box they live in as far as things to do.
I never lack for something to do in a small town, it's just different stuff to do than you might do in a city. While your suburbanite might go out back in their little tiny grassy space and claim to be roughing it. I go out into 100's of acres of forest and fields and claim to be out in the backyard. It's all in how you see it, when the measurement of civilization becomes if they have a Wal-Mart or not, it's time to move. Just my opinion ...

Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 AM

Hi Davart,

I totally agree. My "backyard" is 8 or so acres but it completely beats the 1/4 of acre or less "grassy area" you get in a city. It is completely wooded, packed with nature and we camp in the middle of it. I dont care who calls me a hick or any of that, I love it. Just like you said, everything I need is around me, who cares if there is a mall down the street. I was born and raised in the city and now its time for a change!!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
O&A

6 posts, read 43,319 times
It is funny. Irvington is a town with little to no middle class. you have some very wealthy people there and you have some very poor people there. You will be a good addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky