Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,122,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
"Betters" is the notion that because someone has more money or a higher social status they are a person of higher quality and should be deferred to.

I think you may be mistaking good southern upbrining and manners with deference. Southerners are taught to respect other people by being somewhat reserved in responses at times, when some people from other "areas" are not. This is cultural and has nothing to do with feeling inferior or like other people are "better" in any way. I have seen and heard of southern manners as being taken by those not southern as being a smart aleck or being stand offish or being downright odd. My cousin is originally from Hattiesburg, MS, which is as far south as you can get. He was career military and he had two daughters who were taught southern manners from birth. That means saying "yes sir' and "no sir" and "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" to virtually anyone that is seen as an adult. They got stationed in North Dakota when the girls were just about school age. They got a letter from the girls teacher saying that they had an attitude problem. Their mother went right to school the next morning to speak to the teacher and come to find out, they thought the girls were being smart with them when they said "yes, ma'am" and "no ma'am" to every question they asked. The teacher asked their mother to make them stop. She explained that not only would it be hard at that point, it would not be proper for the way they thought they should be raised. The teacher insisted that they were in North Dakota now and needed to stop it. This went on until it had to be mediated by the principal of the school. This is how cultural differences can be misunderstood by those not from an area. As far as social class distinction, I see less of that in the south than in the north by far. Southerners are much less interested in what schools you graduated from or what income bracket you are in than those from the north. Not that they won't form a judgement about you, it is just those types of things may not be what it is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,536,512 times
Quote:
You seem to understand them well enough. Let me explain something to you; for a barb to have any sting it must touch on the truth. Now whether one agrees or not with what I say I can say with certainty that I make myself understood. So your little shot fails to reach the target and falls into the realm of mere "nyah, nyah".

Well that helped me understand....

Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM

200 posts, read 804,387 times
Hmmm. Maybe I understand what you mean by southern now Dixie and Missy. Maybe Kentuckians are a bit more southern than I realized.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
Hmmm. Maybe I understand what you mean by southern now Dixie and Missy. Maybe Kentuckians are a bit more southern than I realized.

If you are serious, I am glad. It's all good.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,650,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I think you may be mistaking good southern upbrining and manners with deference .

No, I know the difference between courtesy and servility, believe it or not southerners don't have a monopoly on good manners. Southern people are far more willing than northerners to put up with nonsense and exploitation from their "betters"---lousy schools, healthcare and public services, low wages; things which would benefit the lower orders more than the upper but which the lowers don't demand because the uppers tell them they don't need them or that having them would be bad.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM

As I have stated in the posts before dude. In my hometown of Harlan and in other towns all across the state.... regardless of what the media or otehrs may think we have some of the top hospitals in the state as well as schools Harlan High School has been on the News Week top high schools for 2 years in a row.....and the Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital is continually ranked as a top 100 hospital.... So apparently we dont have to demand good thigns for our community... We already have them lol. How are the schools in Chicago? LOL..... Prolly about as good as they are in Detroit eh? Have you ever even been to Kentucky?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No, I know the difference between courtesy and servility, believe it or not southerners don't have a monopoly on good manners. Southern people are far more willing than northerners to put up with nonsense and exploitation from their "betters"---lousy schools, healthcare and public services, low wages; things which would benefit the lower orders more than the upper but which the lowers don't demand because the uppers tell them they don't need them or that having them would be bad.

If you don't recognize the difference in "southern manners" and the lack thereof elsewhere, I doubt you understand at all what I am saying. You missed my point entirely, but that is fine, we can agree to disagree. I think you probably have to be from the south and have the upbringing to be appalled by the lack of it.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
If you don't recognize the difference in "southern manners" and the lack thereof elsewhere, I doubt you understand at all what I am saying. You missed my point entirely, but that is fine, we can agree to disagree.

I didn't miss your point, I don't agree with it. Yes, we can agree to disagree.

Kind Regards

Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
As I have stated in the posts before dude. In my hometown of Harlan and in other towns all across the state.... regardless of what the media or otehrs may think we have some of the top hospitals in the state as well as schools Harlan High School has been on the News Week top high schools for 2 years in a row.....and the Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital is continually ranked as a top 100 hospital.... So apparently we dont have to demand good thigns for our community... We already have them lol. How are the schools in Chicago? LOL..... Prolly about as good as they are in Detroit eh? Have you ever even been to Kentucky?

I lived in Lexington for three years.

It seems every goddam hospital you see claims to be a "top 100" hospital, there must be thousands of them. Kind'a like the marching band contests in which everyone goes home with a prize.

Schools in Chicago are pretty bad but Illinois in general easily tops Kentucky. The University of Illinois is more noted for it's Nobel Prize winners than it's basketball players; people in Illinois think that's good, I imagine people in Kentucky think that's bad given what Kentuckians demand of UK.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM

Not really.... Honestly to go back to your origional question, its not that Kentuckians think others are their "betters" Its that Northerners seem to think they are better than Kentuckians. I have no idea where most of these people get this misconseption. As it was pointed out in another forum, I am not a native Kentuckian. I myself was born and lived a good while in the suburbs of Detroit. I notice that alot of people up there tend to look down on Kentucky. And what really burns me about this is, that 90% of the people who do this are natives of Kentucky!!!!!!! LOL.
My advice to you, since you dont care much for our state or your time here,I wouldnt waste my valuable time posting on this forum. I am sure you have more important things to do than try to convence us that our lives are not as good as we think. Unless you have a love or stake in the state why would you care? We could honestly care less what a politically corupt state such as yours thinks about ours. Im sorry, but as much as some people would like to think that we are "behind the times" that just isnt the case. Trust me, our state is making it just fine. Unlike some upper midwestern states I might mention Have a nice day.

Last edited by Jamie40829; 03-30-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky