Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 04:20 AM

6 posts, read 14,816 times

Advertisements

Midlife & wish to move to KY. My husband has many talents. The man can do anything as a handyman (dirtwork, millwork, electric, plumbing, truly a jack of all trades and thinking of starting his own business or would really like to work for individuals doing different things. But very open also to thinking of companies that have great benefits for maintenance, super, etc... Originally from LA. Me, on the other hand, am from Amarillo, TX (where we are leaving once the sale of our house is complete. The Plains. Very wide open and flat here. Can see for many many miles. Very little trees but tons of wind and takes everything you have to get something to grow. I am afraid of getting claustrophobic so would really like lush, beautiful and hilly but don't want that pinned in feeling. Prefer rural with some acreage. Clear as mud? Suggestions welcome on the lay of the land and job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 05:45 AM

190 posts, read 812,003 times
G' Morning kntrytx! I would recommend you start your search at http://www.kentuckytourism.com/. This will give you a feel for the state. Now, you say rural, but we may have different ideas of what that means. For instance, in my area, anything 10 miles or more out of Richmond is "rural". Go one county over, Jackson, and EVERYTHING is rural! McKee did get a Dairy Queen, though! LOL. http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/ is a good site for jobs, etc. http://www.uky.edu/KGS/ will tell all about the geology, lay of the land, minerals, etc which will help you decide the best areas to grow plants. http://parks.ky.gov/ tells you where to visit when you are here.
Sounds like your hubby will have no problems finding a job! I know my brother used to "handyman" for an apartment complex in Lexington. He loved it-plus got free rent. He might want to check the job market that direction. Hope this helps, and why not take a short trip to look around? You may find something that catches your eye!
All the best ~joanna~

Old 02-22-2007, 10:14 AM

189 posts, read 564,390 times
i have written down the webs. i see you mention places my forebears are from(:. i was born in nc. my parents and their parents were born raised your general area (area you mention) the next generation back came to ky from nc,tn, the va's. i am considering moving to ky (my friends call me nomad) now in spearfish,sd. im looking for a town in eastern ky about 10,000,to 20,000,with a library with free internet. and a bus like greyhound to get tickets to and from other places, and a social security office. i am 66 and get soc. sec. and ssi checks so also need a cheap place to live.would like a place to have garden. i am tired of living in look alike apts where i keep trying to go into my neighbors apts. fortunately i dont go in, and they just gently smile. its not being a senior,the fronts of apts look alike. and any one in area of mckee banford,gray hawk,beatyville,jackson co,owsley co,with family for 2 or 3 gen. there,you are likely kin to me.i could put my email in profile so a person could email if desired. also interested in bank with atm. i can walk,but dont have car. rarely ride city buses.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM

76 posts, read 344,643 times
Kntrytx,

If you like a small, friendly town look at Cadiz, KY.
With Interstate 24 to our east you can get to larger towns easy.
US68 & KY80 run through our town with easy access to neighboring towns.
Our Barkley Lake and The Land Between the Lakes is our tourist attraction along with antique stores that line our downtown, Main St.
We also have a Barkley Lake State Resort Park with all they have to offer, fishing, swimming, trails, fitness center, marina and etc.
If you would like more information just let me know.
KYHummingbird

Old 02-23-2007, 04:32 AM

Sounds like Berea or Richmond would fit into what you need, although Richmond is just a bit bigger. Berea has that "small town" feel, with plenty to do to keep a person busy. For instance there's the Artisan Center, Mitchell Tolle gallary, and little shops everywhere in Olde Town. Plus, there's a city park, public library, and several really good restaraunts with affordable housing!
http://www.berea.com/
http://www.bereaky.com/
Richmond has an EXCELLENT new public library with several computers on the internet. Plus, with it being a college town, EKU offers many free classes to retired residents, and library services with internet.
The main street area of Richmond would be a good choice. The housing is a little older, but for the most part, well maintained. Downtown has shops, cafe, an old fashioned ice cream parlor, the city hall, police station, library, and several churches.
http://www.richmond-ky.com/
http://www.richmond.ky.us/ This site has Richmond's Live WebCam, where you can see what's going on all down Main Street.
www.mcbrhomes.com is the Madison County Board of Realty website, which will help you start hunting a house. For instance, I know there is a 3 br brick ranch on Baker Court (cuts off Main Street) has a full basement, fireplace, lots of square footage, and a really beautiful home in great move-in shape for like $95,000. Hope this helps! ~joanna~

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,093 times
I am thinking of relocating, and Kentucky seems to offer the geography I want (woods, hunting, fishing, etc). I am concerned about making aliving. I am the founder, owner and operator of a commercial print shop (but after 32 years, I would like to be done with the field), and also own a retail scrapbook and rubber stamp store here in Illinois. I would either want to start a retail store, or else work for someone else in management or sales. This is a big concern, because I want to live in rural, if not remote areas! Cadiz looked good to me, but wonder about the job opportunites. Also, your tax system concerns me. Do you have to pay tax on absolutely every item you own year after year after year? It would be like buying it every year! That is what my research suggests. It looks like you have to declare every radio, computer, TV, etc. and pay tax on it every year. I hope I am wrong -- please correct me! Thanks for your help,
cdpd119

Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 AM

cpdd119- You might want to contact Suncoastman. He was researching Berea, but ended up in Jackson Co. This sounds like an area you woud be interested in-parts of it is so isolated you need a 4 wheel drive to get to the main road! There is a few small towns around, though, which would give you the opportunity to open a retail store-and I feel it would go over HUGE there due to lack of shopping! We had even considered buying a place there and opening a "dollar store" type business. Try these links:
Jackson County, Kentucky
Jackson County, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
McKee, Kentucky and Jackson County

Also check out McKee, which is in Jackson. Hope this helps! ~joanna~

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 05:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky