Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,821 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My family and I are thinking about moving to Kentucky and are looking in the area of Somerset or Liberty or just in that general area and I would like your input or information about things in that area.
We are looking to rent or rent to own a house in the country. would need it to be at least 4 bedroom/2 bath on at least 1 acre MUST allow pets(we currently have dogs,cats,chickens,rabbits,and fish and are wanting horses and other farm animals) and we would like it to have at least 1 barn and or outbuilding.
Any info/input on the schools in that area would be great we have an 8yr old that has ADHD/Bipolar
Any info/input on the job market

If anyone can anyone give me addresses for local newspapers that are online for that area that would be great as well as any other addresses that might be helpful. As of right now we can't take the time off of work to make a trip down there so any info or addresses for anything we can look up online would be awsome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Somerset's newspaper - Commonwealth Journal - Homepage

Somerset may not be as small as you're expecting. There is farmland, mainly several miles north of town though. Liberty is much smaller and easier to find farmland there.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
You can do better than Pulaski County (where Somerset is) and (shudder and gasp) Casey County (where Liberty is.) I feel a mullet growing as soon as I enter Casey County.

Why not look into some relatively close by counties that still have rolling hills and knobby areas and relatively low-priced acreage, such as Garrard, Marion or Laurel? At least those places are much cleaner and are closer to civilization.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
You can do better than Pulaski County (where Somerset is) and (shudder and gasp) Casey County (where Liberty is.) I feel a mullet growing as soon as I enter Casey County.

Why not look into some relatively close by counties that still have rolling hills and knobby areas and relatively low-priced acreage, such as Garrard, Marion or Laurel? At least those places are much cleaner and are closer to civilization.
I'm not sure what Somerset you've been to, but it must have been a different one. It is a clean town, Hal Rogers is from Somerset and pumps tons of money into that town. Plus, all the tourism money from people going to the lake. It's as clean as any other town.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,821 times
Ok, well just a little update lol. We have decided that it dosen't have to be the Somerset/Liberty area....we would just like it to be in Kentucky and out in the country(driving dosen't bother us) and it would have to be a good school system and decent jobs.

Any one have any rental properties or know of anyone that might? I listed in my main post what we are looking for.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 39,496 times
Please consider Hardin County - in central Kentucky. Rural areas, such as Cecilia, Stephensburg, Eastview, WhiteMills, Glendale (awesome little antique town) and Howevalley - are all wonderful rural farm areas that are close to Elizabethtown KY (it's more modern than the movie) - and people are wonderful. Beautiful farms, GREAT school systems - county school systems are awesome, city school systems are good too. Economically, Elizabethtown, Radcliff, and FortKnox are all local employment possibilities, and Louisville is less than an hour away. Check out The News Enterprise (Hardin County's largest newspaper - great source) and the Courier Journal (Louisville employment opportunities) online. River attractions at Rough River, in Grayson County, just south of Hardin. Bullitt and Nelson County are north of Hardin county, between Elizabethtown and Louisville - they have decent county schools, but Hardin county is beautiful - and so very friendly.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM

24 posts, read 83,819 times
I agree, Hardin County is a great place to live - Elizabethtown is a real nice town; has a lot to offer. It is just off I-65, which makes it easy to get to Louisville. Are you looking for a real

Casey County (where Liberty is located) is EXTREMELY rural - The community is home to many Amish and Mennonites. It feels as though you've stepped back in time when you are there. It's a beautiful area, property is inexpensive but it is very remote, very "country", and I would probably consider their education system to be sub-par.

I would look into the Elizabethtown, Bardstown and Bowling Green area's!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Elizabethtown and Hardin Co. are nice but so is Somerset and Liberty, which is the location the op is referring to. Some people are looking for smaller communities you know.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM

257 posts, read 881,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Elizabethtown and Hardin Co. are nice but so is Somerset and Liberty, which is the location the op is referring to. Some people are looking for smaller communities you know.
there are many small communities in hardin county, just like somerset and liberty. i would agree that hardin county would be a very nice choice. if i had to choose to live in a country setting somewhere in kentucky, it would be hardin county.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I'm a 7th generation Casey Countian (one of my ancestors got much of Southern CC in a land grant for service in the Revolutionary War) and I think it is only a good option for someone who really wants to live in a rural area. CC has very affordable land and the state's largest Amish community, including several craft and grocery stores that people drive from Chicago and Atlanta to shop at. It's also a good distance (30 miles) to the nearest larger towns like Danville, Campbellsville, or Somerset.

For someone who wants to be closer to a city the communities outside E'town, Bowling Green, or Danville would be great choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky