Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

I prefer the climate of the Upper Midwest over the Upper South/Lower Midwest. I actually like being able to do things outside in both the summer and winter, and you can't do most things outside in the summer here without having to deal with heat, humidity, and torrid sun angle- unless it is early in the morning or late in the evening. My job is keeping me here for now, but I am definitely way out of my comfort zone in terms of climate and would never move any further south. In terms of cost of living, the Upper Midwest really isn't much more expensive, and salaries tend to be higher overall with an overall better quality of life across the board. Yes, I've lived in both areas so I can compare all the factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 PM

25 posts, read 31,687 times
As someone who grew up in Cincinnati the question was never "Is NKY the Midwest?". It was always "Is Cincinnati in the South?"

Kentucky is the south, albeit the upper south, but the south none the less.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:39 PM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianCat View Post
As someone who grew up in Cincinnati the question was never "Is NKY the Midwest?". It was always "Is Cincinnati in the South?"

Kentucky is the south, albeit the upper south, but the south none the less.
I agree. There are strong Southern influences in Cincinnati. There are a lot of posters on City Data who claim that Cincinnati is 100% the North and I question how they draw this conclusion, because I see many Upper South influences in Cincinnati and of course, NKY.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I agree. There are strong Southern influences in Cincinnati. There are a lot of posters on City Data who claim that Cincinnati is 100% the North and I question how they draw this conclusion, because I see many Upper South influences in Cincinnati and of course, NKY.
In my experience growing up and going to Cincinnati at least once or twice a year (Reds, Bengals, Kings Island) and going to college with people from there, Cincinnatians generally have a negative attitude towards anything KY, in essence they look down on it. Not everybody but it was palpable when I went there. Interestingly those attitudes were not that noticeable with people from the N. Ky counties, I think this is because they share in and take pride in KY culture (bourbon, horse farms) and root for the Wildcats. So for me personally I never associated Cincinnati with anything southern. I guess you could say that there is a very subtle ingrained resentment towards uppity Cincinnatians and I say that jokingly in memory of the many friends I have from there. If you are not from this area these things can be difficult to pick up on.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
In my experience growing up and going to Cincinnati at least once or twice a year (Reds, Bengals, Kings Island) and going to college with people from there, Cincinnatians generally have a negative attitude towards anything KY, in essence they look down on it. Not everybody but it was palpable when I went there. Interestingly those attitudes were not that noticeable with people from the N. Ky counties, I think this is because they share in and take pride in KY culture (bourbon, horse farms) and root for the Wildcats. So for me personally I never associated Cincinnati with anything southern. I guess you could say that there is a very subtle ingrained resentment towards uppity Cincinnatians and I say that jokingly in memory of the many friends I have from there. If you are not from this area these things can be difficult to pick up on.
That's my experience, too. Real Cincinnati natives HATE all things Kentucky and Southern. If you tell people there you are from KY they feel obligated to start telling KY jokes, sometimes they are outright hostile. Many of them are convinced that outside THEIR airport which is in NKY all of KY is a cesspool of trailer parks and dirt roads. Any Southern vibe there is from people who are from or have parents / grandparents from the South. Most of my family moved there in the 1950s but most moved back home because they got tired of being viewed as second class citizens. When it comes to Southern vibe in OH I've found it's more noticeable in the outlying OH counties than right in Cincy. Cincinnati also has the most reserved / unfriendly people I have encountered anywhere in the USA, they're even less friendly than Chicago or Philadelphia people.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
It's been my experience the people who look down their noses at Kentucky are usually of the liberal persuasion and they look down on white Kentuckians, not black Kentuckians.

They are the same people who are quick to accuse other white people of being racists, yet, they have no problem calling Kentuckians names like, hillbillies, ridge runners, red necks, white trash, in-bred, ignorant, stupid, dumb, and other unflattering words and phrases to describe them.

I always thought it was funny and hippocritical they are totally blind to their own racism. I suppose "regionism" might be a more appropriate word than racism, But regardless, its just as offensive and hurtful.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-31-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 AM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
What is even more ridiculous about Cincinnati natives looking down upon Kentuckians, is that Northern Ohioans look down upon Cincinnati. I have heard so many derogatory remarks about Cinci made by Cleveland natives. In fact, when I left Cleveland for the Cincinnati area everyone kept telling me to watch out for the inbred hicks in "Cincitucky", so Cincinnati may feel the resentment from the rest of the State and then pass it down to Kentuckians. Really the whole idea of making fun of an entire state's people is sad. There is a good book about this topic called the Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad that dives into the topic of how it is still acceptable to use racist terms such as hillbilly, redneck, white trash, etc in America.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's been my experience the people who look down their noses at Kentucky are usually of the liberal persuasion and they look down on white Kentuckians, not black Kentuckians.

They are the same people who are quick to accuse other white people of being racists, yet, they have no problem calling Kentuckians names like, hillbillies, ridge runners, red necks, white trash, in-bred, ignorant, stupid, dumb, and other unflattering words and phrases to describe them.

I always thought it was funny and hippocritical they are totally blind to their own racism. I suppose "regionism" might be a more appropriate word than racism, But regardless, its just as offensive and hurtful.
My experience is that Cincinnatians who dislike White Southerners also dislike Blacks whose ancestors came from the South. In general they view German Catholics are the Super Race and feel that all their city's problems come from other groups who moved in. Cincinnati is the only city where I routinely hear educated middle class Whites use the N word and other racial epitaphs when talking about Blacks in private conversation. Spending my teen years in Lexington the only real racists on my block was a family from Cincinnati. Most racist person I've ever met in my life was my aunt's husband from Cincinnati who rarely went 2 sentences without using the N word or saying something derogatory about Blacks.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:19 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My experience is that Cincinnatians who dislike White Southerners also dislike Blacks whose ancestors came from the South. In general they view German Catholics are the Super Race and feel that all their city's problems come from other groups who moved in. Cincinnati is the only city where I routinely hear educated middle class Whites use the N word and other racial epitaphs when talking about Blacks in private conversation. Spending my teen years in Lexington the only real racists on my block was a family from Cincinnati. Most racist person I've ever met in my life was my aunt's husband from Cincinnati who rarely went 2 sentences without using the N word or saying something derogatory about Blacks.
And some of those same German Catholics still greatly resent and complain about prejudice against their families - during World War I, a century ago! German ceased to be taught (as a foreign language) in Cincy schools, Cincinnati's German language newspapers were forced to cease publication, names were Anglicized, etc.

Of course, nothing is stopping those same contemporary German Catholic Cincinnatians from learning German now, publishing German language newspapers, or changing their names back to the originals.

ALL groups have experienced prejudice and unjust treatment over the centuries - some far more harshly than others, certainly, but no one is exempt. Best way to transcend that is to treat everyone evenhandedly and without bigotry and to eliminate the negative results of prejudice wherever possible, and not to dwell on past injuries.

(I lived in Cincinnati for three years in the early 1970s, and now live two hours away).

Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Not to pile on and make this an anti-Cincinnati thread but since we are talking about it I think a personality that best describes what you are referring to would be Marge Schott. She was the controversial owner of the Reds and made very racial statements during her tenure. During that time she had a great deal of support in Cincinnati. With that said I do have alot fond memories of Cincinnati and made some really good friends there but even they acknowledge the harsh attitudes that can be found in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky