Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:08 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times

Advertisements

I KNOW not all of them. That's why I told him to check first. Don't be so defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

55 posts, read 235,345 times
Yes, the meth culture is a MAJOR concern of ours. I have worked narcotics my whole career, so I've come to the realization that it's everywhere, small rural towns included of course and especially out west where it's an epidemic. Before making the list of potential areas, we tried looking at places that seem to have less of the drug culture and very low crime rates associated with the area. Of course no where is perfect..............just looking for that small town that you go to visit and hate to leave because of the nice people you encounter. There has got to still be some of them left!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish353 View Post
Yes, the meth culture is a MAJOR concern of ours. I have worked narcotics my whole career, so I've come to the realization that it's everywhere, small rural towns included of course and especially out west where it's an epidemic. Before making the list of potential areas, we tried looking at places that seem to have less of the drug culture and very low crime rates associated with the area. Of course no where is perfect..............just looking for that small town that you go to visit and hate to leave because of the nice people you encounter. There has got to still be some of them left!
ACTUALLY...the meth lab culture has been strongest in Missouri, and it spread from there. It is now endemic in many of the small towns you seek. Still, a few meth labs wont ruin a small town just as a crack dealing ghetto will not ruin a major city.

That said, I think you are missing out on some areas in KY and IN worth looking at.

Specifically, if you want non diverse areas but areas with a good income and education I would recommend:

In Kentucky

La Grange
Bardstown
Berea
Versailles

In Indiana

Floyds Knobs
Georgetown
Greeneville
Nashville

I hate to be blunt, but I tend to agree that many of the towns you are considering have a bit of that closed up factory nothing going on in town so lets do meth culture.

The towns I mentioned are more exurbs of major cities, safe from sprawl, quiet, and very educated with no crime or thugs in sight.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
I totally agree, stx. And I would add Danville, Kentucky to your list.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:08 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
ACTUALLY...the meth lab culture has been strongest in Missouri, and it spread from there. It is now endemic in many of the small towns you seek. Still, a few meth labs wont ruin a small town just as a crack dealing ghetto will not ruin a major city.

That said, I think you are missing out on some areas in KY and IN worth looking at.

Specifically, if you want non diverse areas but areas with a good income and education I would recommend:

In Kentucky

La Grange
Bardstown
Berea
Versailles

In Indiana

Floyds Knobs
Georgetown
Greeneville
Nashville

I hate to be blunt, but I tend to agree that many of the towns you are considering have a bit of that closed up factory nothing going on in town so lets do meth culture.

The towns I mentioned are more exurbs of major cities, safe from sprawl, quiet, and very educated with no crime or thugs in sight.
STX, why can't you get it? LaGrange, along with the rest of Oldham County, is the most diverse community in Kentucky. Taking the census data at face value won't work here, but then liberals don't want to listen to anything but their own deafness. Yes, the county is predominately Caucasian, but the difference, there are no ghettos. Blacks, Whites, Reds, Browns, and people of all ethnicities live in harmony next to each other. Our subdivisions and cities are a true blend of Asians, Europeans, Americans, Africans, and Latino's. The difference, education.

In the strongest of verbiage allowed, I implore you to stop calling an entire population of any community, whether Oldham County or not a stereotypically incorrect description. People who misrepresent don't hurt the people they misrepresent so much as how they diminish their own creditability.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM

55 posts, read 235,345 times
I am certainly going to add all of the ones STX12499 metioned to the list of places to check out. Also, has anyone had any experiences in Columbia, Kentucky or Burkesville, Kentucky. Columbia looks like a really nice small town with a very low crime rate. Can't wait to check it out.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 24,947 times
I would highly recommend Bardstown, Ky based on your posts. I grew up there and it is a GREAT place to raise a family. Also recently it has grown up quite a bit since I left. Louisville is only a short 45 minute drive away if you desire some of the niceties a city can offer.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM

638 posts, read 1,281,515 times
We recently moved to Paris and think it's swell!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
I have to agree with the statement of harmony, especially blacks. For example, growing up in Los Angeles I never saw a white man with a black woman. Here I see it all the time. Not only that, but I can speak to black women without them getting in my face. The equality is great!!! It would appear that we are more integrated than the commie states who make more noise about the issue LOL.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
I wouldn't consider most of these towns to be midwest. But it sounds to me like you want a very conservative, "non-diverse" area in which to live. So pretty much any of these towns should fit that bill. They wouldn't be my first choices by any stretch, but to each his own I guess.
agreed. i think you may find a large cultural difference between arkansas and iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky