Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,114 times

Advertisements

I have just received a job offer at the CVG airport. I plan on accepting the job but my wife and I know very little about the Northern Kentucky area. I have been reading the boards and have gotten some information but have a few more questions:

*How is the real estate market in the area? We would be moving from Houston and right now we live in a brand new 3/2 house (many features) that we got for 150K. Is that possible in Northern Kentucky?

*What areas do you recommend living? Florence, Covington, Ft Mitchell etc? Note, one reason we want to move from Houston is the lack of nature (we like camping etc) and non stop building so an area that has the basics but not overcrowded is what we are looking for.

*My wife is a elementry school teacher, what are the schools like?

*Any churches in the area that one would recommend?

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM

22 posts, read 130,248 times
I'm a native of Northern Kentucky and if you like nature you don't want to live in Covington. I believe everything in the areas you mentioned have gone up in price and could be out of sight. I am presently living in Illinois and wanted to move back home, Alexandria Ky, but prices have gone up there too. Not as bad as some. I hope someone that lives in that area can help you. I would look around Walton and Dry Ridge. They are still rural like. Anywhere around the AA highway is convenient to the airport. Burlington is rather reasonable from what I've seen, with a lot of new homes being built. I think you could find a house close to that price in or around Burlington.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 AM

58 posts, read 216,206 times
Just checking in to see if you are coming to N. Ky. I live in Walton and am affiliated with the Florence Sibcy Cline office. I would be willing to help you in your quest to find the perfect home for you and your wife. If you are looking for a New home though I would do your due diligence when it comes to their contract as you can find yourself in the position that I am in personally. New home contracts contain a clause that requires you to settle any disputes in arbitration. Therefore you sign away your constitutional rights. The clause ultimately financially ruins the unsuspecting consumer and their family. If you want to read the details of my situation please fere to thread TK Constructors They build in Ind. KY and Ohio. I am preparing my story and have been invited to Washington to lobby for ending mandatory binding arbitation clauses in consumer contracts. This clause can be found in many other contracts that you have like credit cards, car loans, even the game that McDonald's puts out (Monopoly). Anyway I have learned a lot through this experience and do not want anyone else to go through such an ordeal. Message me back if you all would like some help in the area.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,743 times
Try Union, KY. Close to the airport and many beautiful homes. Boone Co. School system is decent also.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM

18 posts, read 70,197 times
Boone Co. School system is not what I would want my children to attend. Maybe not all the schools, but Florence has Boone Co. High and they do not prepare well for college bound students.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 PM

137 posts, read 448,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncorgi View Post
I have just received a job offer at the CVG airport. I plan on accepting the job but my wife and I know very little about the Northern Kentucky area. I have been reading the boards and have gotten some information but have a few more questions:

*How is the real estate market in the area? We would be moving from Houston and right now we live in a brand new 3/2 house (many features) that we got for 150K. Is that possible in Northern Kentucky?

*What areas do you recommend living? Florence, Covington, Ft Mitchell etc? Note, one reason we want to move from Houston is the lack of nature (we like camping etc) and non stop building so an area that has the basics but not overcrowded is what we are looking for.

*My wife is a elementry school teacher, what are the schools like?

*Any churches in the area that one would recommend?

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
First I would like to say, "Welcome to Northern Kentucky!" I do hope that you call it home because it is a great place to raise a family, live, etc. Based on what you said you would be making I would say you would be able to get as much house or more for the money here in NKY. It however depends on where you choose to live. Places that would be over your budget would be places like parts of Ft. Mitchell, Lakeside Park and Crescent Springs. I would look into places like Burlington, Union or Alexandria. However, Burlington in Boone County I think would be your best bet due to being close to parks, recreation and due to the fact that it is rural in nature as well as hilly. In Burlington you would be about 10 minutes from much bigger Florence and 20 minutes from Newport as well as Covington.

I hope your family finds the perfect place and that you like it here!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet55 View Post
Boone Co. School system is not what I would want my children to attend. Maybe not all the schools, but Florence has Boone Co. High and they do not prepare well for college bound students.
Ryle is probably the best high school in Boone Co. Fort Thomas Highlands is arguably the best public high in Northern Kentucky. The best high schools, though, will be Catholic schools.

And to think, Boone County is one of Kentucky's very best school systems. You should visit a VAST majority of the counties in rural Kentucky and see many of the graduates from those high schools; or, better yet, just visit Owen or Pendleton County close to you to get a sample.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 AM

I have been there and what I went through with Boone is not what other people had problems with.

It has a low class of people going there. The teachers were fine, but had a hard time controlling the classroom. Hard to learn. The principal was never around and the school had to have 3 other principals too. Police were on the Boone site daily. My daughter attends another school and there is no such need for any police. The environment is nice. We have regretted living in Boone. That is us I guess. But it all depends on a person's lifestyle.

Yes, Ryle is nice and the new Cooper is. But when the redistricting came along and we were bused to the city, that was when my husband said enough. We live so close to the new Cooper you can see the lights and parking lot, YET, we are bused across town into the city area.

A plus grades at Boone are considered Bs and Cs at private schools.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:23 AM

I hate posting because some other person tries to make out like I don't have a clue.

I have been a LIFELONG resident of 55 years in Kenton and Boone County. I have seen the rise of Florence Mall from a cow field. Streets added where there was no possible way to put a street in.

Private cemeteries moved out for subdivisions.

Last edited by Janet55; 02-21-2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: left out a letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky