U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 11:50 PM

96 posts, read 504,478 times

Advertisements

.........I am still looking to retire way from NY, but am still vascillating between Kentcky & Tennessee ? My TN post drew a negative response from a Greeneville, TN native...but I am still considering McMinnville, TN ??---As far as Kentucky is concerned; it seemed that Berea, Kentucky ( according to what I've read ) has many amenities that I am looking for ( College Town + Mountain ( ? ) Town ) however, my wife has advised me that it would me nice to retire with Horse Farms ( to view , not own )--I would like to hear about TN or KY towns that fit the bill ( inc. horses ) ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 17,698 times
Midway or Versailles or Paris are going to be the 3 best options of small towns in horse country. The others will have very little horse farm viewshed around. Frankfort would be next. Berea is too far south to have any substantial amount of acreage in horse farms although the area down there is just as beautiful.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 PM

43 posts, read 194,086 times
I second what the above poster says. Bear in mind that there are not many horse farms in the mountains. Most are in the bluegrass area (hilly, but not mountainous.) I wouldn't even call Berea a "mountain" town.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 33,741 times
I agree, Berea is more hilly than mountainous. The further south you get on I75 is where you start picking up the mountains. London and Somerset Ky have great lakes too. The horse farms are really north and west of Lexington. The amount of Limestone in the ground there helps build the strong bones for the Thoroughbreds. Georgetown and Danville Ky are both college towns that are growing and have many ammenities. Check them out.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 9,760 times
Danville has been rated a top retirement community in previous years, it is however a little bit south of the true horse country, however, there are still several horse farms in the area. Danville is also home to Centre College (a small top ranked private college) Some "knobs" to the south and west of Danville, these are just more rounded shorter mountains! Growing slowly and about 35 minutes south west of Lexington

Old 08-28-2006, 06:06 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,119,786 times
Consider Oldham County. We have a large horse farm area in the north central area of the county with hundreds of acres under pasture. Lots of great reasons to retire here. Great people, low crime, high quality schools, highly educated baby-boomers populate prodominately, great shopping not too far away, fantastic medical centers (Jewish, Baptists, Catholic supported hospitals and surgical centers plus the University of Louisville Trauma/Research hospital nearby).

It's a great place here in Oldham County. [cut]

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

23 posts, read 65,149 times
amenities that I am looking for ( College Town + Mountain >>> you might try Murfreesboro, TN, or Tullahoma, TN.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,189,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equescool View Post
amenities that I am looking for ( College Town + Mountain >>> you might try Murfreesboro, TN, or Tullahoma, TN.
Murfreesboro and Tullahoma are college towns but no mountains, I live 30 miles from Murfreesboro, 37 from Tullahoma. Mountain country is in east TN.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM

149 posts, read 713,868 times
Speekin of horses and horse country, something ye dont wanna skip is annual Lexington horse auction. Probly one of the largest of its kind in world today, worth making the trip from New York to spend a week around it. Witness Arab sheiks and royalty bid millions for thoroughbreds. And i forget name of the stable, but "Cigar" famous as most high dollar thoroughbred of his day welcomes visitors. And have ye ever seen mare coaching her foal to run? I was driving along and stopped the car for 1/2 an hour one Summer in June just to sit there and watch as mare jogged in circles with young foal learning its legs tryin to keep up alongside, something ye dont see everyday.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:13 PM

528 posts, read 2,288,945 times
Cigar lives at the Kentucky Horse Park, where he welcomes visitors :

Welcome to the Kentucky Horse Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or