Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:45 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
For gimme it, I have to put my money on Lexington too (versus Louisville). Sorry stx! Not based on anything valid since I've never spent time in Louisville!

For Micah girl, I go with Versailles.

(Hey, this is as much fun as the Kentucky derby! Now if I just had a mint julep... )
You ever had a mint julep? I can't honestly tell anyone they are good! This is a special time of year around Louisville, though. The queen and dozens of other celebrities arive tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Including Larry Birkhead

Old 05-04-2007, 01:48 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Heck, maybe we'll all end up in Versailles!!!!!!!
http://www.versaillesky.com/
http://www.downtownversaillesky.com/

These 2 websites make me want to move right away...

Old 05-04-2007, 04:18 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times
Well, if you're into the bourbon scene (like my husband) and you're checking out Versailles, DEFINITELY try to make a trip to Woodford Reserve's Distillery. It is just outside of the town, and it is such a beautiful, historically preserved KY treasure nestled along some of Woodford County's horse farms. They make small batch bourbon, and their tours are FANTASTIC. Plus the scenery is such classic Woodford County that you can really appreciate the beauty of the Versailles area, which even non-bourbon lovers can enjoy. We've taken several out-of-town guests there and they are always delighted with the experience. There are other bourbon disilleries throughout KY, but in my opinion, none of them beat the beauty of Woodford Reserve's place.

Just keep in mind that if you visit on a Sunday, state law won't let you do a tasting.

Also while you're in Versailles, check out Sweet Potatoes restaurant. They are tucked into a small strip mall right between US 60 and the bypass. It is a great "hole-in-the-wall" family restaurant that locals love. And they're famous for their fried sweet potatoes (yum!!).

Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,164 times
My husband likes the Woodford Reserve bourbon so I'm sure we will be doing that tour! (I don't like the taste of bourbon so I'll just do the scenery part).

I saw that Sweet Potatoes restaurant (by McDonald's, right?) and wondered about it. We'll give it a try when we go back!

I actually didn't find the housing prices in Versailles to be drastically different than Lexington (unfortunately) but it's a bit hard to compare since the market is so much smaller.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,372 times
Actually the Queen arrived in Lexington (Bluegrass Field) this evening (her 5th visit to Lex/Versailles area). She will be staying with Will Farrish at Lane's End Farm and going to the Derby tomorrow. And actually the Derby is a pretty big deal statewide. We will sip the obligatory, but not too tasty, mint julep ourselves tomorrow. Party central in Ky!
The Derby proceedings are a day long event on every local TV channel.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 21,135 times
Oh FOR SURE Lexington.........................

We call it GOD'S COUNTRY where we're from!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky