Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM

46 posts, read 111,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoint502 View Post
I don't agree that everything in Louisville is better than Lexington as the apparent moderator suggested. I agree it goes both ways as well. There are a lot of ignorant people from Louisville who have never lived outside of city limits who actually believe that there is nothing outside of my moderate sized city (which I do love by the way).

But don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about either and don't be a hater just because you don't live here. I could bash where you live very easily, but why do that? If you have an argument with someone else, that's fine, but if you don't want your quarrel to involve me, then don't attack where I live. Thanks.
I really don't know what you're talking about, enlighten me. Once again, who is hating? Please try to make some sense if you plan to argue with me over my opinion, which you cannot change. Based on your first paragraph in the above quote, we are in agreement. You just like to argue, right? Me too. I'm a hater because I dont live there? Good one. Go ahead and bash where I live!!!! Also, let me know where in this forum I bashed your city if you feel up to the challenge. Turn that frown upside down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 PM

93 posts, read 284,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
I really don't know what you're talking about, enlighten me. Once again, who is hating? Please try to make some sense if you plan to argue with me over my opinion, which you cannot change. Based on your first paragraph in the above quote, we are in agreement. You just like to argue, right? Me too. I'm a hater because I dont live there? Good one. Go ahead and bash where I live!!!! Also, let me know where in this forum I bashed your city if you feel up to the challenge. Turn that frown upside down.

I've said all I have to say on the matter.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
I know, people should learn respect. You know, like not generalizing. I'll be fine. Anyway, the Cincinnati comparison was used by yours truly to show that the gaps in population between Louisville, Lexington, and Cincinnati were similar. Honestly, where do you see any hate or personal attacks? If you're so worried about respect on an online forum, maybe you should try earning it a little harder. As for the north vs south thing, I love both but we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject.
The population gaps are not similar using MSA, which is currently the standard by which to compare cities. And when you compare urban areas, population per square mile, percentage of the cities built prior to 1940, well, you get the idea.

That said, bigger is not always better. I live in Florida now, and am about ready to move to Houston. I do not believe my current location in Tampa is any better than Louisville or Lexington and it is bigger than both cities combined.

And the fact remains, much of the state hates Louisville, but the feeling is not mutual. You are just so sensitive. I never said I hate Owensboro. There is just nothing there for me. No one in Louisville thinks anything about it. However, in most states, most people are proud of their largest city. Even in Louisville's Indiana suburbs you will hear most people talk about Indy. Even the biggest redneck in rural GA boasts about ATL. But for some reason, rural KY, has a disdain for Louisville. This is especially evident in tax appropriations whereby for ever dollar in taxes a Louisville resident pays in the state they only see around 70 cents back! This is unreal. I have never seen a state where so many roads to nowhere are built, why so many rural politicians have so much power, and where things are still such an agrarian mindset.

Finally, to get back to the original comparison, well, there is none. Louisville is a mid major city with many more amenities. Lexington is a college town (nice one at that). I did some business in Owensboro and it is not bad for a small town, it just needs some nicer hotels and more cultural amenities The barbeque is great and the people are very friendly, so that gets points. However, the town's lack of a major state college and aging manufacturing based work force is causing it to lag behind say, a city like Bowling Green which has become the state's number 3 city (I consider NKY to be part of Cincinnati).

Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM

46 posts, read 111,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The population gaps are not similar using MSA, which is currently the standard by which to compare cities. And when you compare urban areas, population per square mile, percentage of the cities built prior to 1940, well, you get the idea.

That said, bigger is not always better. I live in Florida now, and am about ready to move to Houston. I do not believe my current location in Tampa is any better than Louisville or Lexington and it is bigger than both cities combined.

And the fact remains, much of the state hates Louisville, but the feeling is not mutual. You are just so sensitive. I never said I hate Owensboro. There is just nothing there for me. No one in Louisville thinks anything about it. However, in most states, most people are proud of their largest city. Even in Louisville's Indiana suburbs you will hear most people talk about Indy. Even the biggest redneck in rural GA boasts about ATL. But for some reason, rural KY, has a disdain for Louisville. This is especially evident in tax appropriations whereby for ever dollar in taxes a Louisville resident pays in the state they only see around 70 cents back! This is unreal. I have never seen a state where so many roads to nowhere are built, why so many rural politicians have so much power, and where things are still such an agrarian mindset.

Finally, to get back to the original comparison, well, there is none. Louisville is a mid major city with many more amenities. Lexington is a college town (nice one at that). I did some business in Owensboro and it is not bad for a small town, it just needs some nicer hotels and more cultural amenities The barbeque is great and the people are very friendly, so that gets points. However, the town's lack of a major state college and aging manufacturing based work force is causing it to lag behind say, a city like Bowling Green which has become the state's number 3 city (I consider NKY to be part of Cincinnati).
I'm sensitive? Its all in good fun. Based on the 2000 census, Cincinnati's MSA has almost 850,000 more people than Louisville's MSA, which has 750,000 more people than Lexington's MSA. These gaps look fairly similar to me. I really don't think that much of the state hates Louisville, but there are definitly people that do. I know for a fact that there are people in Louisville that feel the same way. It is what it is though. Your analysis of Owensboro is pretty much spot on. It's a good place to raise a family if thats really all your looking for. A lot of people here blame the stagnant growth on the lack of an interstate running through. Maybe I-69 will change things? I doubt it. Is Bowling Green officially the number 3 city now? It seems like it has been for awhile going by how much more stuff they have down there.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post

And the fact remains, much of the state hates Louisville, but the feeling is not mutual.
Please tell us where you get this idea that rural Kentucky hates Louisville? Maybe because you know 3 people that hate it and they live in a rural area?? I like Louisville, but I wouldn't live there.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I have to make a correction nlschr0's post. He said for organic food Lexington has a "Wild Oats" store. It's been Whole Foods for a long time now....
That's what happens when a post from 2007 gets resurrected. Lots of things can change in three years.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Please tell us where you get this idea that rural Kentucky hates Louisville? Maybe because you know 3 people that hate it and they live in a rural area?? I like Louisville, but I wouldn't live there.
I agree, that was kind of a gross generalization, but I am basing it on the fact that politicians take more money from Louisville tax payers than they return. IMO this is objective evidence that these politicians believe they are representing their constituents...that is, Louisville is the "big, bad city."

Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn68 View Post
So what is the active art scene like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy van winkle View Post
Whoever said Louisville is more midwestern...I'm gonna have to disagree. Sure, maybe parts are, but that's just because it's a much larger and more diverse city. I'd say in a lot of ways Louisville is more Southern than Lexington. I'd venture to say that more people from Louisville proper have southern accents than people from Lexington proper. People in Lexington tend to associate a bit too much with Ohio (most are Reds and Bengals fans, etc). While Louisville borders Indiana, you won't find anyone associating with it outside of recognizing it's that state on the other side of the river.

I know I've mentioned it before, and I noticed Jimmy John Wilson actually made a map, but how citizens view surrounding areas is key in determining the mindsets of those citizens. Lexington natives "radar" tends to the Northeast: Cincy, Columbus, NKY, Ashland area. Louisville's tends to the western half of the SE: Bowling Green, Nashville, Memphis, Owensboro. Overall, I'd say Lexington is a more Southern version of NKY, while Louisville is a more urban version of Western KY.

Both are Southern, but different types. Lexington is more genteel, similar to Oxford, MS. Louisville is more raw and gritty similar to Memphis.
You are spot on, PVW. I live in Louisville, more gigs for freelancers.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Just depends on your wishes. I have had close connections with both. Tell me more of what you would like to have. How important is transportation, education, recreation, etc.
We are moving to Kentucky on March 2011. My husband will be working in Lexington, KY and I read to some posting here to stay out of Fayette county in choosing school

Would you mind giving a suggestion where is the best place to live with children and best school for middle & high school

We plan to rent for a year before we decide to buy.
We're looking at 2 bedroom or more & a must for 2 bathroom
that allows small dog less than 20 pounds -white terrier westland

We're willing up to 30 miles outside of Lexington, KY.
Thank you

Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Fayette County has some of the best public schools in central Kentucky. Look into Henry Clay, Lafayette, and Paul Lawrence Dunbar High Schools for your older children, and into Morton and Jessie Clark Middle Schools. The Southland area is in the Lafayette and Jessie Clark district and frequently has houses such as you describe for rent - I used to live there and noticed that my now-sold former house was for rent just last week, and appears to have been rented now, or I'd recommend it to you (three bedrooms, separate garage, one floor, attic, lots of closets, fireplace, large fenced and landscaped yard, family room, separate dining room, hardwood floors, front porch, remodeled kitchen and full bath plus a half bath, city park at the end of the street, walking distance to public and private schools and shopping...I loved it). Though this gem is gone, it's typical of some of the nice but unostentatious houses in the Southland-Twin Oaks area.

So don't give up on Fayette County. Our schools are better than many of those in surrounding counties. Take a look at board of education websites for all of the Bluegrass counties for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky