Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 19,052 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is thinking about taking a job in Florence, KY we live in MI and we hate it. His brother lives Lexington, KY. So we were thinking of looking at cities between Williamstown and Florence.

We want a small town, friendly family type atmosphere. Does anyone watch Gilmore Girls....lol we are looking for a town that looks similar to that.

We were visiting my brother in law in Lexington this past weekend and we stopped by Williamstown and we liked it. I also did a search and did find a few pictures of the town on the internet. I also did a search on Crittenden that looks like a fun town also. I couldn't find any pictures of Dry Ridge or any of the other towns that are between Florence and Williamstown. Any ideas where I could find some pictures of these towns?

I have an 18 year old son who is graduating in a few weeks so we would also have to take into consideration that the town will have young people and things to do for him also.

We plan on taking a week vacation real soon to come down and check out as many towns as we can. Our plan will be to rent at first until we find the area that we like the best. We want a nice size home on about 5 acres of land. Since we live in the city now we really do not want any neighbors that are real close...I don't mean that badly, it's just our homes are so close together you can hear your neighbors conversations...lol

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help me out.

Thanks

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM

21 posts, read 106,618 times
Default Same here

dlluvspigs, where in MI are you from? I am from the UP and desperately trying to get out, but not sure where. I am thinking of Lexington, but not sure. I have only ever driven through it, but I know some friends who are from there and they seem to like it.

I am right there with you. I love Gilmore Girls. Too bad CT is so expensive or I would move out that way. I would love to find a "Star's Hollow" of my own too!

Sorry I am not of much help, but hopefully someone can help us out!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:24 PM

music83lover2001, Hi, I am in Warren. Lexington is a great city, it's just to big for me. My brother in law and sister in law have been living there for years and we go to see them every couple of months..I still get lost when her and I go out shopping.

I am just looking for the little home town friendly type place.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Does anyone know anything about the cities that I listed? Williamstown, Crittenden, Dry Ridge???????

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 PM

How about any of the cities around the Florence area or 30 minutes south of Florence....

Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlluvspigs View Post
Does anyone know anything about the cities that I listed? Williamstown, Crittenden, Dry Ridge???????

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
Never heard of any of them but Dry Ridge, and it is nothing more than an interstate pit stop with an outlet mall. Seemed like a nice area though...

Old 05-18-2007, 10:41 PM

30 posts, read 160,878 times
Default Grant County

So you wanna know about Grant County? (Dry Rdige, Crittenden, Williamstown and Corinth)? I am 21 now and from fourth grade on I grew up there.

Grant County is a dry county, no liquor sold at all, but only a quick drive down the interstate to get to a liquor store. However that does not stop the teenagers from getting alcohol and going 70 miles an hour down a curvy back road with no lines and killing themselves and others in the car with them.

Dry Ridge is the "Downtown" of Grant county. The newest and most cool thing in Dry Ridge is the new super center and everyone goes there. If you know people, then a quick trip to "The Walmart" or "Walmarts" or "Wally World" as some people call it, could turn into a 2 hour trip. That is where you will find all the restaurants, the high school, the car dealerships

Williamstown is a very old city, the county seat, and eveything there in downtown Williamstown is...old, lots of older people with money but are tight wads. It kinda has a cute little...old southern feel to it sometimes, but the school is not far from there (Williamstown has its own independant school) and the kids are on the streets a large majority of the time.

Crittenden, there isnt much to Crittenden besides its little...city limits. The majority of Crittenden is all residential, it is where a lot of the new homes are going up. Crittenden is the closest to the liquor stores. They have a couple fast food restaurants like Burger King, and Wendys. A small little hair saloon and other things. Crittenden is also situated fairly close to the railroad, so I would try and stay away from that, and to get a place where you dont have to cross the railroad to get home or leave, or else you may be stuck in your car for an hour or so, because it is two railroads and one train will be stopped while another is going by, it is a real hassle.

Corinth well, I would say is the worst, not much at all but all residential, would be a good place to buy land and not have to worry about your neighbors being super close, as long as you dont mind driving out of your way to get groceries etc.

I dont know how old you guys are, but if you are...settled down, which I am sure you are with an 18 year old son, then you will like Grant County.

To do anything or to go to a specialty shop, or the mall, or movies or miniture golfing etc, you will have to drive to Florence which is a 20 - 30 minute drive up 75.

There are a lot of festivals in the Cincinnati area to attend, Cincinnati is an old German town so there is Oktoberfest and a Jazz Festival and MayFest and other miscellaneous things. There is also a Science of Natural History, IMAX theatre, the Freedom center (highlight the fact that the area was once used as an Underground railroad stop) and during August there is a radio station here in town WEBN that puts on a firework show over the Ohio River, it is lovely as long as you are not RIGHT by the river by the drunks.

As for you son, he would have to go to Florence to do anything cool, maybe even Cincinnati. The closet college to the area is Northern Kentucky University. It is a fairly new University, built in 1970 something and used to be mostly a commuter college but is gaining more popularity as a college college you know? That is where I go to school. They boast about their small classroom sizes and yes, it is small compared to University of Kentucky or something but again it is growing rapidly. There are no fraternity there, only sororities, and they dont have a football team, at least not yet they say. but they do have a brand new Science building with an observatory, it is very cool as far as the Sciences are concerned.

Grant County it self and about a 30 mile radius has a fairly low crime rate, rarely hear of suicides or gunshots or anything. However, I have found that since there is not a lot going on there, drugs have become the only thing to do. Now, that is not every where, like every city they have their bad parts, but since Grant County is so small it seems like the bad area is bigger. Covington and Newport, right by the Ohio river and then Cincinnati right across the river is a different story as far as crime is concerned, I would never go there by myself and never during the night time lol, that is just the scared white girl in me lol.

I moved out of Grant County as quickly as possible, and I moved closer to Florence, only a couple of freeway exits down, and it is a lot more accessible to things than Grant County is. I like it, but not enough to stay, I will be moving to Las Vegas in a couple of months.

I am sorry I dont know too much about what goes on south of Grant County as I never venture down that far, I am sure they have their fair share of... fruit canning festivals and religious do dad things.

I dont know if that was tooooo much information, but I hoe it helped. It may have sounded pessimistic, but only come from the mind of a youth I guess, if older, then you will enjoy the area.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 12,537 times
Our London Kentucky londonky.com is closer to Gilmore Girls than about any county I know of. They roll up the sidewalks around 8 or 9. It is peaceful here in my neighborhood. But worldwide violence will eventually reach all of us, they say; because of 1 gang rape episode about 3 months ago in which a tribe of illegal Mexicans were involved. Someone said they were caught and deported. The restaurant they were working for was closed down for awhile. Then they resumed under new management. The previous owner was fired and license revoked. In the past, I had been a customer there; but now it would probably bother me.
My good renter in the mobile home is going to move away, then I will have to find another good one. Its hard to find clean people these days they want to destroy and abuse and litter. Y'all, wish me GOOD LUCK now, ya hear?!!!
jackien_abox@hotmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky