Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,243,831 times

Advertisements

That's OK Missymom, I get a little tetchy sometimes. Kentucky doesn't have the totally screwed up "history" that WV does. The new Lincoln book by William Lee Miller sent me into a tizzy, his history of WV is like something from a 19th Century school book. My relatives landed in Louisa, KY, after the war from Patrick Co., VA. Then my great-great grandad and uncle got into some bother and had to hightail it out of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
That's OK Missymom, I get a little tetchy sometimes. Kentucky doesn't have the totally screwed up "history" that WV does. The new Lincoln book by William Lee Miller sent me into a tizzy, his history of WV is like something from a 19th Century school book. My relatives landed in Louisa, KY, after the war from Patrick Co., VA. Then my great-great grandad and uncle got into some bother and had to hightail it out of the state.
Oh wow! That is alot of history in itself!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 PM

Missymom, after West Virginians Kentuckians are my favorite people, though I should include Virginians in there too. The story of my great-great granddad is rather interesting. About 10 years ago when I became interested in family history I asked my late grandmother about him. She said he left Kentucky under a cloud. I didn't realize what a large dark cloud it was until a few years after that I just typed his name into Google, and the original newspaper story from the Big Sandy News of 1886 came up. It called my g-g-granddad and great-Uncle George the terrors of the neighborhood, and related how Uncle George had a grudge against a man named Perkins, and he and his brother found him at Levi Kitchen's general store. Uncle George called him out, while my great-granddad held a gun on the crowd, and Uncle George and Perkins began emptying their guns at one another. But Uncle George had lots of ammunition and Perkins ran out of firepower and was killed. My great-granddad crossed the river to West Virginia, I never did find out where great-uncle George landed. My g-g-granddad lived in Huntington for many years, and remarried in his 60's to a woman many years his junior and began a second family. He and his horse were killed in 1931 by a milk truck. I sometimes think about that poor man Perkins, and if he hadn't been killed I probably wouldn't be here. Maybe next time I'll tell you about my great-grandmother Rachel emptying her shotgun at a trick-or-treater.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Missymom, after West Virginians Kentuckians are my favorite people, though I should include Virginians in there too. The story of my great-great granddad is rather interesting. About 10 years ago when I became interested in family history I asked my late grandmother about him. She said he left Kentucky under a cloud. I didn't realize what a large dark cloud it was until a few years after that I just typed his name into Google, and the original newspaper story from the Big Sandy News of 1886 came up. It called my g-g-granddad and great-Uncle George the terrors of the neighborhood, and related how Uncle George had a grudge against a man named Perkins, and he and his brother found him at Levi Kitchen's general store. Uncle George called him out, while my great-granddad held a gun on the crowd, and Uncle George and Perkins began emptying their guns at one another. But Uncle George had lots of ammunition and Perkins ran out of firepower and was killed. My great-granddad crossed the river to West Virginia, I never did find out where great-uncle George landed. My g-g-granddad lived in Huntington for many years, and remarried in his 60's to a woman many years his junior and began a second family. He and his horse were killed in 1931 by a milk truck. I sometimes think about that poor man Perkins, and if he hadn't been killed I probably wouldn't be here. Maybe next time I'll tell you about my great-grandmother Rachel emptying her shotgun at a trick-or-treater.

That is very interesting! I would love to hear about GG Rachel!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 PM

I have a photo of Rachel and my great-grandfather William in my dining room, she is a short, round, cheerful looking woman in a cotton print dress and wire-frame glasses. Looking at her you would never dream that she was West Virginia's answer to Dr. Evil.
My dad said that when my grandfather and great-uncle were kids she trained them to beat up other kids who were on their way to Sunday school. Why, I don't know. Anyway, my dad used to work at the C&O freight repair yard and he met a new employee who, when he heard my dad's name, asked if he knew a Rachel and my dad said, Yes, she's my grandmother. So the new guy told my dad about the time he was a kid, I'm guessing sometime in the early 1940's, and it was Halloween night and he decided to trick my great-grandmother. He ran around her house banging on her shutters with a stick. He was on the front porch when he heard a rumble coming from inside the house and just as he jumped off the front porch the screen door kicked open and a blast from a shotgun took the heel off his shoe. I'm sure he gave her a wide berth after that.

I'm sorry I started so late getting stories from my family, since most of the older members are gone, except my one grandmother, who will be 97 in April. She's a very funny lady and still pretty sharp.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I have a photo of Rachel and my great-grandfather William in my dining room, she is a short, round, cheerful looking woman in a cotton print dress and wire-frame glasses. Looking at her you would never dream that she was West Virginia's answer to Dr. Evil.
My dad said that when my grandfather and great-uncle were kids she trained them to beat up other kids who were on their way to Sunday school. Why, I don't know. Anyway, my dad used to work at the C&O freight repair yard and he met a new employee who, when he heard my dad's name, asked if he knew a Rachel and my dad said, Yes, she's my grandmother. So the new guy told my dad about the time he was a kid, I'm guessing sometime in the early 1940's, and it was Halloween night and he decided to trick my great-grandmother. He ran around her house banging on her shutters with a stick. He was on the front porch when he heard a rumble coming from inside the house and just as he jumped off the front porch the screen door kicked open and a blast from a shotgun took the heel off his shoe. I'm sure he gave her a wide berth after that.

I'm sorry I started so late getting stories from my family, since most of the older members are gone, except my one grandmother, who will be 97 in April. She's a very funny lady and still pretty sharp.
Oh wow! The most interesting story I have that I can think of is that my grest-grandfather was the jailer in Brandenburg in a two-story brick jail and my great-grandmother would cook the meals for the prisoners. The family lived in the jail as well. There's more but we should probably PM the rest.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM

34 posts, read 287,562 times
Well Kentucky's general assembly at the time of the civil war was full of migrated northereners attached to business ventures in trade between the south and Midwest. The governor voted for secession several times and was shot down by this assembly and thus left office. The next governor was one of the union sympathizers, but read the current of emotion among kentuckians correctly and voted to stay neutral, which never worked. When the general assembly failed to act in order to protect state's rights, representatives for 100 of Kentucky's 112 (at the time, i may be off a lil) called an emergency hearing. They met at Russellville and voted to secede, an event that was never recognized by the general assembly to the us congress. The Confederate States of America accepted Kentucky's vote of secession, with the Confederate state capitol at Bowling Green, and Kentucky was recognized with the central star on the Confederate flag.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernky View Post
Well Kentucky's general assembly at the time of the civil war was full of migrated northereners attached to business ventures in trade between the south and Midwest. The governor voted for secession several times and was shot down by this assembly and thus left office. The next governor was one of the union sympathizers, but read the current of emotion among kentuckians correctly and voted to stay neutral, which never worked. When the general assembly failed to act in order to protect state's rights, representatives for 100 of Kentucky's 112 (at the time, i may be off a lil) called an emergency hearing. They met at Russellville and voted to secede, an event that was never recognized by the general assembly to the us congress. The Confederate States of America accepted Kentucky's vote of secession, with the Confederate state capitol at Bowling Green, and Kentucky was recognized with the central star on the Confederate flag.

Thank you southern!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:55 AM

I would also like to add that SOME of the Union regiments from Kentucky were organized in Ohio. I know that two of the regiments that invaded West Virginia that were named "Kentucky" were not Kentuckians. I don't know if anyone has done a detailed analysis of KY soldiery, but I suspect that there were a number of Ohioans counted in that bunch.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,138 times
This is a lot of dumbness..Kys a southern state...You don't gotta talk like you got a mouth full of rocks to be from the south..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky