Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:35 PM

16 posts, read 135,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom15 View Post
IMO I think it should be considered the midwest. I say Tennessee is the most northern southern state. I dont understand why Virginia and W. Virginia are considered southern.
Have you ever been to Virginia? Virginia is culturally and historically southern. The areas of Virginia that don't seem southern culturally are northern Virginia and eastern Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Norfolk), but that doesn't mean you won't find southern culture there. Richmond, VA was the capital of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. There is a Confederate Memorial in the Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA. The climate of Virginia, especially southeastern VA, is definitely southern. Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana), bald cypress (Taxodium distichum), and Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) are a few of the southern plant species that are native to Virginia. According to Marina Shores Marina Sabal minor palms were once indigenous to Virginia Beach , but had died off sometime after 1800s (Environmental Programs | Marina Shores Marina is a full service marina offering a dock shop, boat launching, storage, sales, service and rentals.). Many other popular southern plants have become naturalized in Virginia such as the southern magnolia, and others like the Sabal palmetto can also successfully grow here.

Now, I do understand if you are confused about where Virginia is located regionally, because of several factors, for example:
The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) places Virginia in the Southeast Regional Climate Center.
The United States Forest Service (USFS) places Virginia in the Southern Region.
The United States Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) places Virginia in the Northeast Region. However, the USFWS places Virginia in both the South Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative and the North Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative.

Basically though, Virginia is usually placed in the South/Southeast, occasionally placed in the Mid-Atlantic, and rarely placed in the Northeast. Regardless of where Virginia is placed according to different agencies, organizations, etc..., Virginia will always be Southern!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,549 times
Go to East Ky, Sw Va or Southern WV, talk to the people, just listen. You may classify us as Hillbillies, but we sound more like people from the South than the North.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:39 AM

94 posts, read 236,366 times
Born and raised in western KY. I strongly identify as "southern.' I don't even live here anymore (moved to NYC) but I still claim to be southern. To me, northern KY is more similar to the midwest, but the rest of the state is not. I live close to Indiana (near Evansville) but I notice a slight cultural difference just crossing the bridge. To me, western KY is very similar in culture to Tennessee. And eastern KY aligns well with the rest of southern Appalachia. Location-wise, it may LOOK midwestern, but it's southern by culture. For sure.

As for VA, yeah. Parts of it are definitely NOT southern, but parts of it most definitely are. It's a bit of a weird state in that way. Hard to categorize. But I'd typically call most of VA southern.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,493 times
Ok. Kentucky is a region all it's own. We indentify with the south for several reasons. We do not beleive in big government.
We believe that state rights trumps national rights. We tend to judge people on their manners. In these instances, we tend to indentify with the south, but then we divide with them in other instances. How much money, land, or influence you family has means nothing to us. If you are a good person and will go out of your way to help someone, or if your outlook is to be a part of your community rather than climbing over others to get your way, or trying to show that you are better than others to make you seem more important, then you are perceived to be a Kentuckian. If you can understand this post, you may be a Kentuckian or understand us. If this post makes no sense to you, you are not a Kentuckian and will never understand who we are or what we are about.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
The Virginia question is interesting. Back in the Civil War Baltimore was widely considered to be a Southern city. Lincoln's assassin was a B'more native. Today NOVA would probably be considered a mesh of Southern and Mid Atlantic if Southern at all. Cincinnati also used to be considered to be at least somewhat Southern.

I'll stick to my guns that anything south of La Grange / New Castle / Frankfort / Georgetown / Maysville is definately Southern and areas North of that are more similar to southern Indiana/ Ohio.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM

302 posts, read 629,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Ok. Kentucky is a region all it's own. We indentify with the south for several reasons. We do not beleive in big government.
We believe that state rights trumps national rights. We tend to judge people on their manners. In these instances, we tend to indentify with the south, but then we divide with them in other instances. How much money, land, or influence you family has means nothing to us. If you are a good person and will go out of your way to help someone, or if your outlook is to be a part of your community rather than climbing over others to get your way, or trying to show that you are better than others to make you seem more important, then you are perceived to be a Kentuckian. If you can understand this post, you may be a Kentuckian or understand us. If this post makes no sense to you, you are not a Kentuckian and will never understand who we are or what we are about.
This sounds wonderful. I want to move to KY but am from NJ and am afraid people wont like me for that reason alone. But Im a good person, mother and wife. Yes, Im Italian descent and Catholic and have a heavy accent and consider myself more Italian than American but Im always smiling. Im not part of the rat race of chasing down fame and fortune...I got to church, I clean my home and stay home and raise my 5 kids and love my husband. Whats important is God and time around the table with food and good memories

Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM

It is not where you are from so much as how you relate to your fellow human beings. Come lt down and check us out, you may be pleasently suprised. Let me be the first to welcome you.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
It is not where you are from so much as how you relate to your fellow human beings. Come lt down and check us out, you may be pleasently suprised. Let me be the first to welcome you.
Im happy to hear that. Ive caught some heat from some people saying I could never fit in. Its funny being theyve never even met me or given me chance. Its nice to see an open mind Thank you for that!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM

You are more than welcome. But please understand that we have a lot of people who come here and the first thing out of their mouths is "Well, where I am from, we do things this way, or that way". We do things our own way. If you can go along with that, you will be fine. I hope you find a place you are happy here.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Why do people have to make things a competition. One thing about being from Jersey is your exposed to every race, religion and language. We are force fed being politically correct and diversified. Im so used to just dealing with how people do things. Everyone has there own way of doing things and heaven forbid you question it here in Jersey they will classify you as a hater and a racist. So im used to letting people do whatever the hell they want. But vice versa, i dont want anyone doing the same to me.Dont like my toes stepped on either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky