Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 PM

18 posts, read 55,780 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the northern ky Cincy Area Been all over Ky my whole life. After living in south florida, I kind of laugh when i hear ky people say there southern, I meant isn't it two states from Canada? I miss the area a little mostly friends and such.. I found growing up there that alot " not all" Well most people are very closed minded alot of them have never been anywhere else and think there is only one way for everything. The state as far as Court's system ect.. Is a TOTAL! Mess. To who ever said places like dry ridge falmouth is nice?? THOSE are the areas to stay away from. ANYTIME the bad kids wanted drugs that's where they went to get it. I'm sure people will argues that fact but it's IS a fact. I think everywhere you take the bad with the good. Florida IS beautiful! But there are some of the worst rednecks i have ever seen in my life here! And just about anyone you meet here will rob you blind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 AM

7 posts, read 52,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I appreciate your response and the points you made. I live in the Southside not far from Iroquois Park. Yes, I know that Bardstown Road in Louisville is a world of difference. I try to get down there every once in a while for a badly needed breath of fresh air. But it is a drive I don't want to do everyday. Living in that region is currently beyond my financial means. I have often thought about moving to that area.
I didn't say all Kentuckians are uneducated. I have met several interesting people with whom I could talk about a variety of subjects, and not have to be overly cautious. It's not easy to meet such people. Actually, sometimes I go to a local bar which can be called redneck, blue-collar, whatever. But I like it. The people there are at least 30 or older and they are friendly. They play old country music on the jukebox and I can talk and laugh with them. But I would never try to talk to them about politics or religion.
I'll check the Chicago Tribune article as soon as I have the time. Thanks for the connection.
Two years ago I had a job which assigned me for 5 months of driving a regular route in Eastern Kentucky. Every day I saw Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Elkhorn City, Martin, and South Willaimson by the West Virgina border. Some of the places looked very bleak and depressing, especially on a drab, rainy November day. I find it depressing that so much of that area is neglected by politicians who could allocate funding and projects to improve their lives. But the government apparently doesn't care very much, and certainly, people on the fringes of poverty have little voice for lobbying purposes.
Like I said, the people I've met are for the most part, honest and friendly. Then, maybe it's me that is nasty. Anyway, I feel like a martian in Kentucky.

I currently live in Tampa Bay, about to move to Cleveland, have also lived in Des Moines, Charlotte, Davenport, Nashville, etc.

I am 27 years old, and for 26 year of my life I lived in Louisville.

The simply response to your post is this... you simply moved to the wrong area. In Louisville everyone considers Dixie, Taylor Blvd, New Cut Rd, any part of Shively/Dixie, and any part of Valley Station to be very country.

If you would have moved into the Highlands you would have thought you landed in a mini Portland, OR. Saying that the Highlands is liberal/diverse would be the understatement of the century. Every business in a coffee shop, micro-brew, locally owned shop, music store, etc.

I think there is a strong Christian community throughout Louisville, but there are many very youth based (tats, piercing, etc.), unique planted churches in the Highlands, Clifton, area. The bars of Baxter, all of Clifton/Creasant Hill, etc. are all amazing places to live. Out of all the places I've traveled I would never rate any place above the Highlands. The beauty and charm and friendliness/open-minded/artsy feel is just remarkable.

So bottom line is you moved into a very "red" area. Nothing against those people from my perspective, but I (like you) would not want to live around there and wouldn't enjoy spending time at the old beer shacks on Taylor Blvd. or Southern Parkway.

I say stay in Louisville and search craigslist for a simple apartment somewhere around Highlands, St. Matthews, Oxmoor, Clifton, or even furthwer up B-town heading towards Fern Creek. Basically the entire East End is beautiful and easily accessed through Bardstown, Hustbourne, Breckinridge, Taylorsville Rd, etc.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 AM

7 posts, read 52,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
London,Ky., is a great little burg in which to sample small town living. Just make sure that you stay well away from that 'certain guy'.......y'all know who I mean.

Lucas Hammonds?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 10,340 times
We are looking to retire in Kentucky on a lake. It would be great to be close to loisville or Lexinton to have access to the city and the airport. Any recommendations? Thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM

15 posts, read 47,040 times
You are the typical stereotype from Chicago and any other large city folks that appear to have tunnel vision.
Don't bother to apology after you have critqued everything and everybody. It is not politicallly correct to view your bias opinion and then apology for having the bias opinion.
One thing about the Kentucky people-they know what they believe in and are not afraid to stand up and be counted for their beliefs. If people want to display the American flag, display Biblical quotes, own guns or have Bush/Cheny stickers on their cars-that is their right. Read the Constitution.

Go back to Chicago and join the current White House Administration.
You have that right to say what you have said and you are, in part, accurate; however, poor grammar or lack of correct grammar is not just in the sub-cultures of KY.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 47,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjklee View Post
We are looking to retire in Kentucky on a lake. It would be great to be close to loisville or Lexinton to have access to the city and the airport. Any recommendations? Thanks

If you want rural, mountainous terrain and isolation from the fast pace of city life, Buckhorn Lake is a beautiful area. It is located in East Kentucky
(Perry County).

Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 9,134 times
I highly recommend NOT living in either Pikeville, KY or Prestonsburg, KY. The locals are not welcome to strangers and frequently 'stare,' which is rude. I have lived in several different cities including what I refer to as the 'real south,' which is Louisana, Georgia, Tennessee and the people in Eastern Kentucky are not friendly if you are not a local and can spot it right away. At least the people in the 'south' offer southern hospitality. I have felt uncomfortable living here from day one. Also, there is crap to do here. There is no civilization. The closest area of civilization is Lexington, which in my opinion is a very nice city. It feels like the twighlight zone in Pikeville and Prestonsburg, KY.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Part of what makes a place "home" is family and history. Southern Casey County is one of the last places I would have chose to live BUT I have tons of family there, and my ancestors have lived there since 1800. Not that I'm about to move there now but it's a place I would buy land for a cabin in the woods.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 PM

174 posts, read 540,917 times
Old, dense, walkable areas which are still fairly safe and have interesting retail, architecture etc.

-Covington

-Newport

-Parts of Lexington, especially near the UK and Transylvania campuses

-Lowertown/Downtown Paducah

-Bowling Green near the WKU campus

-Old Louisville, many areas between Downtown L'ville and Crescent Hill, "The Highlands"

There are others that fit that description

Many towns in Eastern Kentucky hold much potential for those seeking dense, walkable places (the mountains prevent suburban sprawl, forcing people to build up instead of out) with the added bonus of being surrounded by nature. Think Paintsville for example. they just need the people from the big cities who are willing to settle and start businesses in the old cores of those mountain towns.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,841 times
I would like some kind information on where to retire in kentucky I'm looking for a small and friendly community any suggestions I was looking at Lawrenceburg or Greenville are these good places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky