U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,267,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Kerry, get over it. I will defend my home state until I die. Move along please. I wasn't talking to you anyway. Thank you...
Aaaand you just proved my point. Way to go, chief.

But yes, keep defending that home team no matter what, even to the point of ridiculousness. It just reeks of a backwards/ornery mindset & pretty much makes your opinion on subjects like this null & void. But whatever floats your boat kid. To each his own. Stay perfect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 05:42 PM

3,790 posts, read 8,306,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
InLondon just verified my post about certain KY posters getting very defensive about other's opinions ( even if opinions are backed by statistical facts )
Yes, I see the demographic's you listed, but the last statement, "I would expect to encounter some racism based on those statistics," that is your OPINION, not fact.

Have you ever even been to KY or lived here?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,729,326 times
If a white person moved to a city of over 8,000, and over 97% of the race in that city was black and the remaining 2+ % didn't include-------" whites"----Yes, I would expect --some-- problems.

I would expect ----some--problems if the races were reversed, also.

To state there would be problems for whites moving to that scenario, but none for blacks moving to a scenario that exists in Corbin is a racist statement.

The fact KY posters bashed both KeryB and myself shows their refusal to face facts and accept logic.

It isn't just Diane Sawyer they get riled up with, but rather any poster who refuses to put blinders on and refuses to blindly wave the pom poms.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

Have you ever even been to KY or lived here?
Your keyboard preventing you from answering this question?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Been to KY many times ( both London and Corbin)

I could lose all my fingers in a saw and still be able to count the number of black people I have actually seen in Corbin.

I will be in London and Corbin next week again.

I know you hoped it was Diane Sawyer coming, but it's only marmac.

Last edited by marmac; 12-06-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Been to KY many times ( both London and Corbin)

I could lose all my fingers in a saw and still be able to count the number of black people I have actually seen in Corbin.

I will be in London and Corbin next week again.

I know you hoped it was Diane Sawyer coming, but it's only marmac.
Go to Benton, KY. You will have a good laugh. 98.0% white. And it IS that bad there.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 AM

93 posts, read 266,023 times
If you are from metro Detroit, then Corbin is obviously a different world. Like all places, there are racists. And I mean that literally.

Let's ignore that certain segment of morons and consider the every day people. A black couple with dreadlocks is so out of the norm for that area, that it's almost that they don't know how to react. It's almost all white people who grew up in rural Kentucky who live there. I don't think it's racism, it's just that people literally don't know. They assume things or they will assume you think they are racist because you are black. It's because they just don't know many (if any) black people.

I don't want to make any more blanket statements, but that's my opinion. I've only been to Corbin once and don't know any one there personally, to be completely transparent.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 20,322,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontadow View Post
Hello,

Shortly after being offered the job the first time, I ran into a woman, also an african american, who did pharmacuetical sales. She ommented that we should be glad we did not move down there because she usedto work the area and that she experienced a bit of racism down there, including getting her car broken into.
I'm sorry; maybe I'm just stupid. But could someone please explain to me how having one's car broken into is racism? Maybe there's a "rest of the story" the OP didn't explain. Like: "maybe they thought drugs were in the car"... But plenty of folks of all races get their cars broken into, as far as I've seen in the U.S. media...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-07-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,998,085 times
I really don't know why it matters if a town is mainly white or is mainly black or is mainly alien. So what? Must every town be perfectly equal 25% white, 25% black, 25% Asian, 25% Hispanic?? I could care less personally.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I really don't know why it matters if a town is mainly white or is mainly black or is mainly alien. So what? Must every town be perfectly equal 25% white, 25% black, 25% Asian, 25% Hispanic?? I could care less personally.
????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky