U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 AM

6,607 posts, read 10,975,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Maybe he's lived in KY & moved around? There are people that do that you know. And its not like any of us can exactly verify who has or hasnt lived in KY. That goes for me, you, everyone here. We just have to take each other's word for it. He obviously has SOME kind of connection if he posts here. There's no need to be questioning who has the right or not to speak their opinion about the state cause it cant be verified anyway, so its pointless.

Its always funny to watch the claws come out from the same posters when someone says something negative about the state. And you can always tell who the people are who have never ventured out of the state for an extended period of time because they're always the roughest & first to defend, with a lot of BIG CAPS, exclamations, etc thrown around. Its funny.

And to me, the people who have moved around are the ones who should really be speaking up more because they have a broader comparison of things in general. Of course if you only talk to the same people who have never left, they obviously are gonna be bias & take offense more often. KY's not exactly a transient state, so there's a lot of that there.

Point is, home is where you hang your hat, so there's no need for anyone getting their panties in a wad. It's not like you & the patch of earth you live on are connected as one & define each other. Thats foolish. And I dont care where I've lived, aint no place perfect & if someone wants an honest opinion, I'm gonna give it to them because thats what I would want.

Sooo, discrimination, racism, whatever you wanna call it?? Yes, its there, esp in rural KY. But its in a lot of other places. Yes, the deep south has it, but they also have a much larger black population too. So, its more of a "behind closed doors" racism. You cant exactly be a racist down here if a lot of your neighbors, the people you work with, etc are black. Its just not gonna fly.

In KY, its more out in the open & you'll hear a lot of just off-color comments in people's everyday conversations like its no big thing, since they dont exactly have to look over their shoulder to see if any blacks are around (cause there are none). Gays too, since there's not a lot of them (out of the closet anyways) in the area either.

But small towns in rural white communities like those in KY have so much in common with blacks, esp southern blacks, its not even funny. They eat the same types of foods, talk the same, usually very religious, have a lot of the same problems (teen pregnancy & such), drugs, I could go on & on. Outside of their own people, they have more in common with each other than any other groups, yet they're so far apart.

Anyways, thats just an observation.
This is the BEST and most level headed post I have read in quite sometime. WOW! You hit it dead on with this one Kerry. As some folks already know, I lived in eastern KY (Ashland) for a short while (just under 4 years). While there, I learned very quickly that less diversity to the locals meant they were less racist than the south. This is true to an extent if you were white. However, to those of us that were not white (and to the white folks like my wife that married outside of their race) Eastern and rural KY is VERY racist. Outside of Louisville and Lexington, there aren't too many areas of KY I would feel comfortable moving to. I moved to Ashland with a complete open mind. However, I was "blind sided" by the truth that I completely tried to ignore upon my relocation to the area. Again, not trying to knock KY at all. Just saying that racism in the rural areas of state is pretty bad. It exists not only in the schools, but also in local churches and law enforcement. 9 times out of 10, it was the cops in eastern KY that gave me the most trouble (which is scary as hell). I won't go into any further details. I just wanted the OP to know that there are others that have tried on the "rural KY" shoe and it DID NOT fit. Beware, and good luck to you OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,751,604 times
The only people who can realistically address the OP would be the blacks who live in Corbin.

However, since blacks don't even get a half of a percent of Corbin's racial makeup ( heck, they don't even get mentioned in the racial breahdown) finding blacks in Corbin to comment might be quite a task.

I certainly wouldn't regard the assurances of a white in London Ky as being unbiased.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM

1,254 posts, read 3,270,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is the BEST and most level headed post I have read in quite sometime. WOW! You hit it dead on with this one Kerry. As some folks already know, I lived in eastern KY (Ashland) for a short while (just under 4 years). While there, I learned very quickly that less diversity to the locals meant they were less racist than the south. This is true to an extent if you were white. However, to those of us that were not white (and to the white folks like my wife that married outside of their race) Eastern and rural KY is VERY racist. Outside of Louisville and Lexington, there aren't too many areas of KY I would feel comfortable moving to. I moved to Ashland with a complete open mind. However, I was "blind sided" by the truth that I completely tried to ignore upon my relocation to the area. Again, not trying to knock KY at all. Just saying that racism in the rural areas of state is pretty bad. It exists not only in the schools, but also in local churches and law enforcement. 9 times out of 10, it was the cops in eastern KY that gave me the most trouble (which is scary as hell). I won't go into any further details. I just wanted the OP to know that there are others that have tried on the "rural KY" shoe and it DID NOT fit. Beware, and good luck to you OP.
Thanks for the praise. And I'm sorry that happened to you. Its unfortunate, but is the reality of things in a lot of rural KY.

That being said, I truly dont believe that most people in these areas are true "racists", they're just ignorant. I mean, most havent even been around any blacks at all, so how can they exactly hate something they've never seen?? I think it really just boils down to their upbringing & the fact that they've never had the chance to meet & make any friends who aren't white.

Its sad, because like I was saying in my other post, we have so much in common with one another. I know if they had the chance & if things were different population-wise, blacks & whites in these areas would get along just fine.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM

341 posts, read 859,439 times
Let me just say that the OP must be very brave and thick skinned to even consider such an idea.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the praise. And I'm sorry that happened to you. Its unfortunate, but is the reality of things in a lot of rural KY.

That being said, I truly dont believe that most people in these areas are true "racists", they're just ignorant. I mean, most havent even been around any blacks at all, so how can they exactly hate something they've never seen?? I think it really just boils down to their upbringing & the fact that they've never had the chance to meet & make any friends who aren't white.

Its sad, because like I was saying in my other post, we have so much in common with one another. I know if they had the chance & if things were different population-wise, blacks & whites in these areas would get along just fine.
Unfortunately, ignorance IS the basis for racism. The Klan and most segregationist knew that blacks were just as capable and competent as whites. However, they (the Klan and segregationists) did EVERY thing in their power to keep blacks from being the equals that they were. It was not an issue of whites not getting to know blacks. It is more of an issue of whites not wanting to be associated with blacks simply because they are black. As a result, there are blacks today that are equally ignorant and prejudice of whites.

I used to think just like you before I moved around the country a bit. I foolishly thought that I would (and could) get along with anyone so long as they got the chance to know me. I learned quickly that some folks won't allow such a thing to happen simply because of my skin color. Again, racism exists because of ignorance. The two go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,270,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Unfortunately, ignorance IS the basis for racism. The Klan and most segregationist knew that blacks were just as capable and competent as whites. However, they (the Klan and segregationists) did EVERY thing in their power to keep blacks from being the equals that they were. It was not an issue of whites not getting to know blacks. It is more of an issue of whites not wanting to be associated with blacks simply because they are black. As a result, there are blacks today that are equally ignorant and prejudice of whites.

I used to think just like you before I moved around the country a bit. I foolishly thought that I would (and could) get along with anyone so long as they got the chance to know me. I learned quickly that some folks won't allow such a thing to happen simply because of my skin color. Again, racism exists because of ignorance. The two go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Thats only because their surroundings allow them to. Trust me, you get half of these so called "racist" people out of their little comfort zones there in small town Kentucky & say, into a real city with all kinds of different races, they'll change their tune real quick. Their surrounds let them continue to be intolerant because they simply dont know any better. I myself dont consider that true racism because the same could be said about gays. It boils down to just small-minded people who dont even know what they're talking about, but they never get that crap put in check because of where they live. Has nothing to do with the color of your skin, its the fact that you're different.

Un-learning old, worn out stereotypes is hard for a lot of these people, so it just continues simply because its allowed to given the population makeup & the fact that no one ever leaves & no one new ever moves there. You experienced it because you were an EXTREMELY small minority in an area where the only thing they know about people of color is what they see in movies & on the news.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,533,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The only people who can realistically address the OP would be the blacks who live in Corbin.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that completely. Obviously, a black person living in Corbin will be in a better position to comment than most.

But even though I'm white, I've got ears. When I go to a meeting in rural Kentucky where there are just whites in attendance, and I hear the N word used in reference to the President of the United States, or I'm in a restaurant and hear that comment about a former UK basketball coach, then that's a fairly good indication of the level of racism in that area.

Rural Kentucky has a race problem, plain and simple. Anyone saying otherwise has their head stuck firmly in the sand. As I said before, yes, so do urban areas and yes, so do other states. But it is more prevalent in rural Kentucky than in urban Kentucky, and more prevalent in rural Kentucky than any other rural area outside of the deep south.

That's meant only as a general comment and is just my opinion based on my experiences. But for us to tell a black person that it's OK to move to rural Kentucky and that they won't have any problems is a failure of what we are supposed to be doing here.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thats only because their surroundings allow them to. Trust me, you get half of these so called "racist" people out of their little comfort zones there in small town Kentucky & say, into a real city with all kinds of different races, they'll change their tune real quick. Their surrounds let them continue to be intolerant because they simply dont know any better. I myself dont consider that true racism because the same could be said about gays. It boils down to just small-minded people who dont even know what they're talking about, but they never get that crap put in check because of where they live. Has nothing to do with the color of your skin, its the fact that you're different.

Un-learning old, worn out stereotypes is hard for a lot of these people, so it just continues simply because its allowed to given the population makeup & the fact that no one ever leaves & no one new ever moves there. You experienced it because you were an EXTREMELY small minority in an area where the only thing they know about people of color is what they see in movies & on the news.
This is true, however you will not get a racist to leave that region for a large city. If they ever did leave, they would just become closet racists instead of out in the open racists. Trust me, we have PLENTY of closet racists here in NC. Most of them are against NC's growing Hispanic population. Many of them hide their racism under the guise of "anti-illegal immigration". Whatever! Most Hispanics in Charlotte are LEGAL. And for the ones that aren't legal, they're EMPLOYED!!!

Anyways, the one thing that bugged me about the Ashland area was how the locals blamed their drug problems and crimes on drug dealers from Detroit. Now if that isn't dumb and racist, I don't know what is. How on Earth can a city (of poor blacks) more than 5 hours away have an impact on the habits of poor whites in rural KY. What a freaking joke! Yes, there is a small Detroit connection to some of the crimes and drug problems of that area, but c'mon!!! It is not like Detroit is 20 minutes away or something like the local news made it out to be.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,578 times
All that I can say to all of these post is.... WOOOOOW~ Well if any of you are from Corbin and/or surrounding area, you will soon hear of another black family moving into the city. I've heard and read so many things about this place (yes i'm currently here). As of 12/08/09 I haven't had any bad encounters YET. Am I uncomfortable? How does it feel? Well, I don't know yet. I just arrived at the hotel and will start canvasing the area for a place to live. Racism/Racial makeup of Corbin doesn't bother me. My wife is concerned for our children but I believe that what will be, will be. What brought me here? My job and to be able to be apart of change that obviously the city needs to rebuild a once bad reputation. I believe that if one black family and/or many speak out against the negative... its like that old saying... if you build it, they will come. So, when you see this new face in town, don't be afraid to speak. Don't judge a book by its cover, until you take the time to engage in the contents of what lies beneath.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,751,604 times
If I happen to see you next week in Corbin, I'll say " howdy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky