U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,392,022 times

Advertisements

Dontadow, whoever you are, welcome to Kentucky. I hope everything goes well for you here. As for the dreadlocks, whoever made that statement about dreadlocks illegal in Ky. is the stupidest, most smart-assed statement I've heard lately. I will say one thing - our summers are humid, and dreadlocks will definitely be hot! Seriously, I know - I used to wear my hair long, and I would burn up in summer. Anyway, Happy New Year and Welcome to Ky.!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Talking about gays ... several (including a relative of mine) live near me in my montain part of Ky., and one grew up with me (is a lifelong friend from early childhood and has been great to my kids and he always acts appropriately around them...I would kill for or die for this man like a member of the family). The biggest thing about homosexuals (and lesbians) here, at least in eastern Ky., is if you are not flagrant about it (e.g. smooching in public or playing "patty fingers" or something of that nature). In general, if you are somewhat subtle and discreet about it, no one will give you problems, even if it's a known fact you are gay, but I would'nt want to be walking down main street anywhere-in-Ky (or in a lot of areas of the country, for that matter) french kissing or sticking your hands down your boyfriends (or girlfriends) pants. That might not be a wise idea.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,745,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Mr. Marmac, just how welcome do you think a person from Ky. would be in "the hood" in Minneapolis or St. Paul, or would a black person be welcome in your neighborhood (The Artist Formerly Known as Prince had lots to say about racism in that area). Also, how well do you like your Somali neighbors (Minneapolis has a very large Somali presence)? If I sound like a smart aleck, by golly, by all means I mean it! From one smart aleck primadonna (me) to another smart aleck primadonna (Marmac) have a wonderful New Year! Peace!
????????????????????????

Perhaps it would serve you well to read all the posts.

I doubt a white Kentuckian would feel welcome in the hood of Minneapolis or St Paul due to the white Kentuckian being a minority there.

I would hope a black would feel welcome in Corbin Kentucky, however, since a black in Corbin would be even a smaller minority in Corbin than a white Kentuckian would be in the " hood"---------I would have my doubts.

Seems mighty strange that a city of 8,000 + , located on a major US freeway, wouldn't even have enough black residents to even show up on their racial breakdown. ( they do break races down to even a half percent )

Why does Corbin Kentucky have no blacks even listed?

Very few other cities in Kentucky of that size, located on a major freeway, has that.

Why is that ?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Since I'm a local and you're not, I can say that yes there are African Americans living in Corbin. I have seen several over the years. I know, "several" is not a lot. Corbin is just predominately white, who cares? Just a few miles up the road is London, a nicer city than Corbin. Which is where you find quite a bit more different races.

This thread is about Corbin and not about your town of London.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:45 PM

I think InLondon knows more about Corbin, London, and Ky. in general than you do, tarmac. You know more about Minnesota than he (or I) do. I did like your governor, Jesse Ventura. Perhaps it would do me good not even pay attention to a "know it all" like you. And the thread is about any damn thing InLondon, you, me or anyone else wants to write about.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I think InLondon knows more about Corbin, London, and Ky. in general than you do, tarmac. You know more about Minnesota than he (or I) do. I did like your governor, Jesse Ventura. Perhaps it would do me good not even pay attention to a "know it all" like you. And the thread is about any damn thing InLondon, you, me or anyone else wants to write about.

Corbin KY-------97.7% WHITE
----------------0.9% 2 or more races
----------------0.8% Hispanic
----------------0.9% Indian

rxpwas------why is this? A city of over 8,000 people located along a major freeway of the US in KY, and the black population can't even garner a fraction of a per cent of the city's population ?

Is that too tough of a question to answer that insults and ignoring facts is all you can come up with ?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Mr. pseudo-intellectual marmac, I have an even better question. Who cares? More to the point ... why do you care?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 PM

231 posts, read 653,362 times
Quote:
Mr. pseudo-intellectual marmac, I have an even better question. Who cares? More to the point ... why do you care?
I'm curious if Marmac and Offtopic are the same person. . . hmmm, I wonder if we can do a poll on that.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,993,567 times
Corbin has long had a reputation for being a racist area. That's just the only thing I ever hear about Corbin, Kentucky. I am not saying that that overall concept of Corbin is true, but I've heard that from people all through my life.

JohnKK: Racism will usually lead up to discrimination.

Original Thread Starter: Honestly, you don't have to avoid Kentucky all together like someone said. I would definitely NOT move to Corbin however. The truth is the truth, your social life and comfort down there will probably not be very healthy or positive. Should people be racist? No, but people are ignorant and weak-minded, so they would stereotype you and speculate.

Also, I've met some really nice people from Corbin. That's not to say that just because appears nice means they aren't racist, but they the radar didn't go off and they were pleasant.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM

2,927 posts, read 8,004,285 times
Quote:
Odd isn't it? He's in Minnesota. Anyway, I bet his town is mainly white as well since he's mentioned that he lives in a small town. Do I care though, no. I'm not going to the Minnesota forum and going on and on about white people, black people, green people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky