U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,990,535 times

Advertisements

We isolate and alienate one another when we get into the "Yes-it-is-racist-no-it's-not-racist" discussions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 PM

688 posts, read 1,390,641 times
My thing with "marmac", etc., is whether or not they have a point about Corbin (or anywhere) else being racist or not, this guy seems just as much predjudiced and over-bearing about people in this part of the country. I have travelled to 48 of the 50 states and 9 different countries, so I've seen a lot of good, bad, and otherwise. This bigotry crap is not just black toward white, white toward black, etc., this guy (marmac) seems to just by his arrogant posts and attitudes and condescending nature openly hostile to Corbin (or this end of the country in genteral) as Corbin is supposedly toward African-American people. Trying to lord over this forum like he can make InLondon, me, or anyone not reply as in "this is a post about Corbin, not your home town" is a bunch of b.s., and his crappy statistics don't mean a damn thing to me one way or another, whether they are true or not. Hey marmac, I will keep posting, keep posting, keep posting, keep posting, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. Hey marmac, why worry about one little town's racist problem when you have a beam of regional contempt in your own vainglorious eye. If you don't have any love for this part of the country, please stay out, or at least keep it to yourself, same as if I were to go to Minnesota, I would not act condescendingly toward them. Marmac, I'l keep posting, keep posting, etc., and I'm not from Corbin either, from another part of state from Corbin, but I'll keep posting, and on and on in this forum (or any other) as much as I want to, and yes, like you, I'm an arrogant smart-ass.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,729,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Odd isn't it? He's in Minnesota. Anyway, I bet his town is mainly white as well since he's mentioned that he lives in a small town. Do I care though, no. I'm not going to the Minnesota forum and going on and on about white people, black people, green people.

---" green people "--

??????????????

I guess Corbin KY can at least say-------" we don't have any green people listed in our racial profile and neither does any other city of 8,000 + people located located along a major freeway in KY "

lack of green people is not strange , lack of black people is

Old 01-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---" green people "--

??????????????

I guess Corbin KY can at least say-------" we don't have any green people listed in our racial profile and neither does any other city of 8,000 + people located located along a major freeway in KY "

lack of green people is not strange , lack of black people is
I've seen some (many) places in Minnesota that I did not see many people (some times any people) that did not look lilly white, even compared to me (with 1/4 Cherokee heritage) looked very pale. So what? And frankly me dear, I don't give a damn about your worthless statistics WHETHER THEY ARE TRUE OR NOT. Reply to me with one of your witless contempous replies, I'm waiting, amigo.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM

And yes, i spelled contemptious wrong>>> big blankin" deal

Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Or is it contempuous? Who cares?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 57,103 times
Hey whitey go to Detroit and live for a while.

Na dey ain't racist in the D.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
?????????

What does alcoholism have to do with a person asking about racism ?

If one states that moving to a city--( with a race not even mentioned in the racial profile of that city) is no reason for concern and worthy of your response of-------" OH DEAR"----- I would question that person.

If you stated you are black and live in Corbin, you would have credibility.

InLondon-----how many black people do you know who live in Corbin?

THEY-- are the ones who could best answer/assure the OP.
So, are you a black person living in Corbin? Then what are YOU doing trying to answer the question?

Sorry, this was TOO easy....

Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 18,001 times
I always heard Corbin was the KKK center of Ky. Like Maynardville is the KKK center of TN. I might of heard wrong though. Sorry if i did. Ive always heard that people of color shouldnt move there but to London.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,253 times
Default Corbin Racism

Most of what you hear is true. Yes, they are racist. There use to be a sign when you were entering Corbin that was very racist. Is it safe? Ask yourself this, is anywhere really safe. I'm sure it would be if you could put up with all the staring and talk, but it is pretty much racist. In a small community an African American family moved into the neighborhood and cops were called out by them the first night because people were burning crosses in their yard and its the home town off the KKK Head Dragon. So, this is what makes it bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontadow View Post
Hello,

For the 2nd time in five years I have a great opportunity brought to me from a company I admire in Corbin, Kentucky. The first time, I declined the invitation, but this time I am really thinking of taking it.

Shortly after being offered the job the first time, I ran into a woman, also an african american, who did pharmacuetical sales. She ommented that we should be glad we did not move down there because she usedto work the area and that she experienced a bit of racism down there, including getting her car broken into.

I'm always skeptical of just one account, but reading a threat inquiring about Louisville, KY, several posters commented that KY is mostly not racist, just avoid Corbin. This contradicted other posters accounts that the whole state is pretty normal.

As I ponder this decision, racism plays a major part on if my wife and I move to the area. We are both African-American, with long dreadlocks. We don't have any children nor plan on it, so the school system is not a concern for us. We are more interested in knowing if Corbin will be a safe place for us to move?

Also, on a side note, we were unable to find real information on apartments, townhouses and condos in the county. Do people just own outright in these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky