U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,945,232 times

Advertisements

There used to be a Ni**er Creek Road on the outskirts of Corbin until the late 1970s/early 1980s, named after the creek it ran along. The road is now Liberty Church Road or something like that and maintained by the state, not Knox County, but the creek is Negro Creek and I'm sure still called Ni**er Creek by the locals.

I know an Asian immigrant lady from here in California on vacation in the South right now and will be driving from Central KY to Atlanta. I recommended that she stop at the Colonel Sanders Cafe in Corbin to wrap up her Tour de Kentucky; I also told her to go during the day, get out of town by sunset and not tell anyone she's from California.

Some excerpts exemplifying Corbin-area racism come from earlier in the 20th Century, but some are from as late as the 1980s: http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/sun...how.php?id=350

All this being said, I find Kentuckians to collectively be less racist than the race-baited fools in some cities on the West and East Coasts. Even the attitudes about gay relationships are slowly evolving in the South, although I know few people who would be outright ugly toward or "shunning of" homosexuals.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-10-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,455,282 times
If this town is so "racist," why did they supposedly offer you this position?

Doesn't add up....

Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,390 times
I live in Corbin, I would not want to be an African American in this town. Some racism and a lot of total ignorance. Some of the comments I hear are so stupid that they are scary. Gas at the Corbin stations is among the cheapest in the state along Interstate 75 so we get a lot of interstate travelers including blacks. I haven't seen anybody harassed but if looks could kill... This place is racially sickening and to add to our woes we have some kind of KKK grad dragon or grand wizard or grand puba or what ever his title is living just outside of town.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,194 times
My wife and I are moving to Corbin from the DEEP South where racism is an art form. Not so subtle segregation is the rule of the day here. The KKK is commonplace and rebel flags are commonplace.

I can't say that I'm going to miss the black "culture" at all. It's not the skin color that is the problem, it's the behavior. Speak english, act Christian, and work hard and we'll get along fine. Act like a gangsta, get tattoos on your face and cop an unjustifiable "attitude" and we will have problems. And WHAT is with the damn hoodies, people!! It's about as smart as wearing your antler hat into the woods during deer season...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM

974 posts, read 1,530,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnylevel View Post
My wife and I are moving to Corbin from the DEEP South where racism is an art form. Not so subtle segregation is the rule of the day here. The KKK is commonplace and rebel flags are commonplace.

I can't say that I'm going to miss the black "culture" at all. It's not the skin color that is the problem, it's the behavior. Speak english, act Christian, and work hard and we'll get along fine. Act like a gangsta, get tattoos on your face and cop an unjustifiable "attitude" and we will have problems. And WHAT is with the damn hoodies, people!! It's about as smart as wearing your antler hat into the woods during deer season...
I think this sums it up for a lot of people, well said.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:38 PM

25,592 posts, read 37,328,790 times
Quote:

So you are saying it's not wrong if I get shot if I as a tall black guy wear my Virginia Tech or Louisville hoodie when the tempature calls for it, and go for a run to the store around the corner?

I assure you there are people of all colors in Louisville wearing hoodies in the winter. Not for fashion statement but to stay seasonally comfortable.

Quote:
Speak english, act Christian, and work hard and we'll get along fine. Act like a gangsta, get tattoos on your face and cop an unjustifiable "attitude" and we will have problems.
I have friends who do all of the above (well maybe not the tattoos on the face but they have tattoos) and they are good people. Some even have college degrees and work in professional positions. They know when to work and when to play.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM

2,927 posts, read 8,000,368 times
Since I live near Corbin, I think it's just a stereotype that it's racist there. Yes, years ago there were race issues in Corbin but I think that was the case everywhere. It is rare to see anyone of any different race in Corbin. I think it's 98% or 99% white. But Corbin High School is ranked as one of the best public high schools in Kentucky. Gas recently was said to be the cheapest in the state in Corbin. It's always cheaper in Corbin for some reason, as in 10-15 cents cheaper than London which is just 12 miles away from Corbin. Those race issues go way back and for some reason people can't get past that. I have seen a white man and black woman together in Corbin recently and I sure didn't notice anyone making a fuss about it....

Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 12,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So you are saying it's not wrong if I get shot if I as a tall black guy wear my Virginia Tech or Louisville hoodie when the tempature calls for it, and go for a run to the store around the corner?
I assure you there are people of all colors in Louisville wearing hoodies in the winter. Not for fashion statement but to stay seasonally comfortable.
I have friends who do all of the above (well maybe not the tattoos on the face but they have tattoos) and they are good people. Some even have college degrees and work in professional positions. They know when to work and when to play.
So the fact that 80% of stick-ups are perpetrated by black youths wearing hoodies doesn't affect your fashion judgement? I own many rentals in Florida and have to deal with the gangstas in their hoodies all the time. I can assure you that they wear them to conceal their identities, and NOT because it is "chilly".

When will you learn that it is your behavior that defines you, NOT your skin color? It was no different for the "Greasers" in the fifties and the "Flower Children" of the sixties. When you call me to rent a property, and I can't understand you because of your "gangsta" lingo, do you really think I am going to offer you a lease?

Are YOU a racist? When you go to Church Sunday morning, look around you. Do you see any white faces there? Are you there to worship the Black Prophet or the Black God? I have attended several Black Churches since I moved to Alabama, and was made to feel most UNwelcome because of MY skin color...

It is definitley "wrong" if someone accidently shoots you while you are wearing your hoodie... but it is not surprising.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:18 PM

25,592 posts, read 37,328,790 times
Quote:
So the fact that 80% of stick-ups are perpetrated by black youths wearing hoodies doesn't affect your fashion judgement? I own many rentals in Florida and have to deal with the gangstas in their hoodies all the time. I can assure you that they wear them to conceal their identities, and NOT because it is "chilly".

When will you learn that it is your behavior that defines you, NOT your skin color? It was no different for the "Greasers" in the fifties and the "Flower Children" of the sixties. When you call me to rent a property, and I can't understand you because of your "gangsta" lingo, do you really think I am going to offer you a lease?

Are YOU a racist? When you go to Church Sunday morning, look around you. Do you see any white faces there? Are you there to worship the Black Prophet or the Black God? I have attended several Black Churches since I moved to Alabama, and was made to feel most UNwelcome because of MY skin color...

It is definitley "wrong" if someone accidently shoots you while you are wearing your hoodie... but it is not surprising.
No my fashion judgement is not affected by that fact. I see everyone of all races wearing hoodies, why is it a problem when I do it as a black guy?

I don't speak "gangster lingo." I speak with a slight Tidewater (SE Virginia) accent but I do speak like the college grad that I am.

No I am not a racist. I go to a very diverse church. My pastor is white and I consider him like a father to me since my natural father is no longer living. There is only one God I care about and he has no color. Those black churches in AL may have smelled your attitude which BTW I know many white people who would be put off by you.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,259 times
Flip side!!! As a white guy living in dirty louisville ky we are treated like crap. I am polite and respectful
to all , i refuse to take any responsibility for slavery but i have seen it thrown in white peoples faces alot.
I'd like to find a nice white girl but i'm afraid i'm the wrong color!!!! I wear a belt and have a job we are the minority just yesterday i almost had an altercation w/some homeboys, they wanted to hurt before i even got out of the work truck honkee ,redneck, this our block.??? What did i do i simply pulled up to work on a house, so i left peacefully w/o having to shoot one those racist homeboyz and told the homeowner his house can rot like the rest of them in that part of town... If i defended myself i'd be the next george zimmerman .... I am done w/blacks and mexicans, they get away w/everything but if a white guy does something we get nailed to the wall.. If a nice black person gets a cold shoulder deal with it your race act like a-holes!!! If you think this is harsh come visit louisville it is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky