Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,930 times

Advertisements

Got em in Maryland too.......stupid people and racists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,807 times
Hi, thank you for the good responses. As one poster said, I am trying to figure out if there is a level of discrimination in towns Barbourville, KY or Corbin, KY.

I understand there are racists everywhere. We live in a mostly middle eastern suburb of Detroit and there's a low level of discrimination in the more ethnic stores in the area.

Will we have problems if we move there? Unfortunately, without first hand accounts, all we have is what we read in the paper, which is built on stereotypes. That's why we're really interested in detailed information and now sarcasm.

For instance, I live in the Metro Detroit area. If you were a white person and asked about moving to the east side of Detroit, I'd say there's a heavy level of discrimination in that area, not because its mostly African-American, but because its the nature of the area. Now, if you were to say I was moving to Southfield, I'd tell you there's no discrimination there, though it too is primarily African American. I'd want to help you find a place that is going to be comfortable for you and your family.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:45 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Kentucky posters get very offensive if anyone tries to be --brutally honest.
That's because you're what I call an "out of stater." You know nothing about this region and have some kind of "snooty" attitude in nearly all of your posts. Posting statistics mean nothing. I doubt you've ever been to the South.

Minnesota is nothing special. Would you like for me to post Minnesota's problems, some of which don't exist in Kentucky or aren't much of a problem here. Such as Minnesota's very high rate of alcoholism??

Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
?????????

What does alcoholism have to do with a person asking about racism ?

If one states that moving to a city--( with a race not even mentioned in the racial profile of that city) is no reason for concern and worthy of your response of-------" OH DEAR"----- I would question that person.

If you stated you are black and live in Corbin, you would have credibility.

InLondon-----how many black people do you know who live in Corbin?

THEY-- are the ones who could best answer/assure the OP.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
?????????

What does alcoholism have to do with a person asking about racism ?
Marmac, I'm simply stating statistics like you always do. You come to the KY board and spew your negative statistics, so I thought I would spew some about Minnie soda...

Old 12-06-2009, 01:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Does marmac even come from here or ever lived here? Just curious.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Does marmac even come from here or ever lived here? Just curious.
I really really really doubt it. He posts a lot in the Arkansas forum too.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I really really really doubt it. He posts a lot in the Arkansas forum too.
Maybe he's lived in KY & moved around? There are people that do that you know. And its not like any of us can exactly verify who has or hasnt lived in KY. That goes for me, you, everyone here. We just have to take each other's word for it. He obviously has SOME kind of connection if he posts here. There's no need to be questioning who has the right or not to speak their opinion about the state cause it cant be verified anyway, so its pointless.

Its always funny to watch the claws come out from the same posters when someone says something negative about the state. And you can always tell who the people are who have never ventured out of the state for an extended period of time because they're always the roughest & first to defend, with a lot of BIG CAPS, exclamations, etc thrown around. Its funny.

And to me, the people who have moved around are the ones who should really be speaking up more because they have a broader comparison of things in general. Of course if you only talk to the same people who have never left, they obviously are gonna be bias & take offense more often. KY's not exactly a transient state, so there's a lot of that there.

Point is, home is where you hang your hat, so there's no need for anyone getting their panties in a wad. It's not like you & the patch of earth you live on are connected as one & define each other. Thats foolish. And I dont care where I've lived, aint no place perfect & if someone wants an honest opinion, I'm gonna give it to them because thats what I would want.

Sooo, discrimination, racism, whatever you wanna call it?? Yes, its there, esp in rural KY. But its in a lot of other places. Yes, the deep south has it, but they also have a much larger black population too. So, its more of a "behind closed doors" racism. You cant exactly be a racist down here if a lot of your neighbors, the people you work with, etc are black. Its just not gonna fly.

In KY, its more out in the open & you'll hear a lot of just off-color comments in people's everyday conversations like its no big thing, since they dont exactly have to look over their shoulder to see if any blacks are around (cause there are none). Gays too, since there's not a lot of them (out of the closet anyways) in the area either.

But small towns in rural white communities like those in KY have so much in common with blacks, esp southern blacks, its not even funny. They eat the same types of foods, talk the same, usually very religious, have a lot of the same problems (teen pregnancy & such), drugs, I could go on & on. Outside of their own people, they have more in common with each other than any other groups, yet they're so far apart.

Anyways, thats just an observation.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Kerry, get over it. I will defend my home state until I die. Move along please. I wasn't talking to you anyway. Thank you...

Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Kerry, get over it. I will defend my home state until I die. Move along please. I wasn't talking to you anyway. Thank you...

InLondon just verified my post about certain KY posters getting very defensive about other's opinions ( even if opinions are backed by statistical facts )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky