U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,217 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For the 2nd time in five years I have a great opportunity brought to me from a company I admire in Corbin, Kentucky. The first time, I declined the invitation, but this time I am really thinking of taking it.

Shortly after being offered the job the first time, I ran into a woman, also an african american, who did pharmacuetical sales. She ommented that we should be glad we did not move down there because she usedto work the area and that she experienced a bit of racism down there, including getting her car broken into.

I'm always skeptical of just one account, but reading a threat inquiring about Louisville, KY, several posters commented that KY is mostly not racist, just avoid Corbin. This contradicted other posters accounts that the whole state is pretty normal.

As I ponder this decision, racism plays a major part on if my wife and I move to the area. We are both African-American, with long dreadlocks. We don't have any children nor plan on it, so the school system is not a concern for us. We are more interested in knowing if Corbin will be a safe place for us to move?

Also, on a side note, we were unable to find real information on apartments, townhouses and condos in the county. Do people just own outright in these areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:21 PM

4,870 posts, read 5,867,366 times
I know some people who used to live near Corbin and they said quite the opposite what your friend said. Now what?

As for housing, it is more challenging finding rental listings in smaller communities but calling a few local real estate companies should provide some good leads.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:11 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,996,646 times
Oh dear, there is still some sort of stereotype about Corbin being racist because of an incident years and years ago that was racism. That was forever ago though and yet people still think of Corbin as being this way. It's so annoying. Corbin is probably 96% white.

Corbin has lots of apartments. I would avoid Corbin Manor Apts however. A new condo development called Jesson Place is really nice and close to downtown on Jesson Street. There's also Blair Park Condo's on Gordon Street. Probably the nicest in Corbin.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 PM

3,790 posts, read 8,304,991 times
Don't forget to add Marshall County to the list.

The problem is that you can find these type of places in just about any county in any state.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,452,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontadow View Post
Hello,

For the 2nd time in five years I have a great opportunity brought to me from a company I admire in Corbin, Kentucky. The first time, I declined the invitation, but this time I am really thinking of taking it.

Shortly after being offered the job the first time, I ran into a woman, also an african american, who did pharmacuetical sales. She ommented that we should be glad we did not move down there because she usedto work the area and that she experienced a bit of racism down there, including getting her car broken into.

I'm always skeptical of just one account, but reading a threat inquiring about Louisville, KY, several posters commented that KY is mostly not racist, just avoid Corbin. This contradicted other posters accounts that the whole state is pretty normal.

As I ponder this decision, racism plays a major part on if my wife and I move to the area. We are both African-American, with long dreadlocks. We don't have any children nor plan on it, so the school system is not a concern for us. We are more interested in knowing if Corbin will be a safe place for us to move?

Also, on a side note, we were unable to find real information on apartments, townhouses and condos in the county. Do people just own outright in these areas?
You should probably avoid the entire state of Kentucky. Plus, dreadlocks are illegal anywhere in the state....

Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,529,615 times
I think we have a duty to be brutally honest when someone asks a question here. Yes, rural Kentucky does have a serious problem when it comes to race. (I know, I know; so do the urban areas and so do other states and yada, yada, yada. But the fact is, it is worse in rural Kentucky than it is in urban areas of Kentucky and as bad or worse in rural Kentucky as it is in any state outside of the deep south.)

Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,725,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I think we have a duty to be brutally honest when someone asks a question here. Yes, rural Kentucky does have a serious problem when it comes to race. (I know, I know; so do the urban areas and so do other states and yada, yada, yada. But the fact is, it is worse in rural Kentucky than it is in urban areas of Kentucky and as bad or worse in rural Kentucky as it is in any state outside of the deep south.)

Kentucky posters get very offensive if anyone tries to be --brutally honest.

Last edited by marmac; 12-05-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,725,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh dear, there is still some sort of stereotype about Corbin being racist because of an incident years and years ago that was racism. That was forever ago though and yet people still think of Corbin as being this way. It's so annoying. Corbin is probably 96% white.

Corbin has lots of apartments. I would avoid Corbin Manor Apts however. A new condo development called Jesson Place is really nice and close to downtown on Jesson Street. There's also Blair Park Condo's on Gordon Street. Probably the nicest in Corbin.
Just the facts--

Racial breakdown of Corbin KY----97.7 % white
----------------------------------0.9 % ---2 or more races
----------------------------------0.8 % ---Hspanic
----------------------------------0.9 % --Indian

Perhaps this doesn't indicate racism, but I am sure an African-American couple in a town that can account for every race and your race isn't even on the radar, would stick out and certainly be noticed.

I would expect the same if my wife and I ( both white) moved to a city that was 97.7 % black ( yes, city data uses the termonology " black" ) and the other 2.3% didn't even include our white race.

I am sure we would feel a little out of place also.

I would expect to encounter some racism based on those statistics.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 AM

4,870 posts, read 5,867,366 times
The original poster said 'discrimination', not racism. Glad we all know the definitions. There are hundreds of cities and towns from Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc that have a homogeneous makeup of their population. This has nothing to do with overt racism or discrimination.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 AM

767 posts, read 1,931,661 times
You will find racism anywhere that you have stupid people. So, are there racists in Corbin? Obviously yes. But I can say the same thing for small towns in Illinois. We all have plenty of idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky