Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:02 PM

12 posts, read 76,596 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I currently live in Las Vegas and want to get out of the big city and the heat! We are considering moving to Kentucky and want to find out about the area. I have graduated from culinary school and am seeking work in the cooking industry or in general labor. I would also like to know more about the type of factory work. My girlfriend has a Masters degree in Social Work and would be looking for any case management or counseling position. I am looking forward to fishing and having a garden. We are interested in living in a small area but one that is close enough to drive to work. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
My wife is a social worker and there are plenty of jobs in the Louisville area in hospitals and nursing homes. I have a bias for the eastern part of Jefferson County but if you are younger, you might want to consider the Bardstown Road area. Lots and lots of very good restaurants, near a gorgeous park, and a more Bohemian life-style.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
Around Morehead/Mt. Sterling area there is a childrens orphanage who I believe are looking for people now.. there are also "counseling" type positions being requested in the Morehead, KY newspaper online. There is a University and within 1 hour to Lexington to the West and about an hour to Huntington, WV in the East (all on Highway 64). If one of you may need to commute, although there are opportunities within the local areas as well.

Just a thought...

Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 AM

30 posts, read 160,896 times
Wow, you are leaving Vegas?! That is the exact opposite of what I am doing! I am trying to get out of the small town feel of Kentucky and move to Vegas?So I am guessing you wouldnt be the person to sell me on Vegas then huh? lol. I am 22 and Kentucky is not for me at the moment. Where in Vegas did you live?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herford Bray View Post
My girlfriend and I currently live in Las Vegas and want to get out of the big city and the heat! We are considering moving to Kentucky and want to find out about the area. I have graduated from culinary school and am seeking work in the cooking industry or in general labor. I would also like to know more about the type of factory work. My girlfriend has a Masters degree in Social Work and would be looking for any case management or counseling position. I am looking forward to fishing and having a garden. We are interested in living in a small area but one that is close enough to drive to work. Any suggestions?

Although Las Vegas is growing 6 times faster, and certainly has more big city amenities, surprisingly it is not too much larger than Louisville.

From 2005 Census Estimates for the Top 50 largest US Metro Areas:

Rank MSA 2005 pop (est.) growth rate
31 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV MSA NV 01,777,539 +29.20%

42 Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA 01,222,216 +5.18%

The second number posted after population is the growth rate. While Louisville's gain is modest, Las Vegas' gain is off the charts, growing faster than ANY metro in the US top 50 by far!

Just to show you, many Midwest metros are losing population from their MSA:

46 Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY MSA NY 01,137,520 -2.79%

Rochester, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland also have this problem.

Well, what does all this data mean? If you consider Las Vegas a big city, Louisville may be too big as well. Or maybe not. It is noteworthy that Louisville is one of the top cities in the nation for chefs in its size class, and is home to a top 10 ranked culinary arts school (varies by source), Sullivan University. Try out our local foodie website: www.louisvillehotbytes.com Louisville is no where near as fast paced, glitzy, or expensive as Vegas, though. Within the Louisville MSA are many smaller, quaint towns in places like Oldham County, KY and Clark County, IN. Fishing and gardening opportunities abound, and land is cheap.

KY also has some nice University towns that I am fans of, including Lexington. The rural areas are pristine and beautiful. Hope you can visit!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:22 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraDee View Post
Wow, you are leaving Vegas?! That is the exact opposite of what I am doing! I am trying to get out of the small town feel of Kentucky and move to Vegas?So I am guessing you wouldnt be the person to sell me on Vegas then huh? lol. I am 22 and Kentucky is not for me at the moment. Where in Vegas did you live?
I felt the same way when I was your age, Sandra. I lived in Chicago a few years ago, and loved it. It was a great experience and I recommend it (or any faster paced city), but I think you will appreciate KY more when you come back. You will have to live in a super fast paced, expensive, traffic plagued environment to know (this coming from someone who flies to Chicago for sports, museums, and nightlife 3-4 times a year. Great to visit, but living, its not for me ) For me, the added amenities weren't worth the extra cost and hassle. Chicago is a world class city though. Vegas is getting there, but has a ways to go (although shopping, dining, and nightlife are now ranking top 5 in the US). Anyways, that's why they invented Southwest and Louisville's cheap airport. I never pay more than 100 to fly to Chicago (and often as little as 80), and if you book in advance, you can get round trip to Vegas for under 250!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,811 times
I would recommend Central KY,lexington-frankfort-Nicholsville area.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM

30 posts, read 160,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I felt the same way when I was your age, Sandra. I lived in Chicago a few years ago, and loved it. It was a great experience and I recommend it (or any faster paced city), but I think you will appreciate KY more when you come back. You will have to live in a super fast paced, expensive, traffic plagued environment to know (this coming from someone who flies to Chicago for sports, museums, and nightlife 3-4 times a year. Great to visit, but living, its not for me ) For me, the added amenities weren't worth the extra cost and hassle. Chicago is a world class city though. Vegas is getting there, but has a ways to go (although shopping, dining, and nightlife are now ranking top 5 in the US). Anyways, that's why they invented Southwest and Louisville's cheap airport. I never pay more than 100 to fly to Chicago (and often as little as 80), and if you book in advance, you can get round trip to Vegas for under 250!
I currently live in Northern Kentucky about thirty miles south of Cincinnati and yes, I agree, Louisville is super nice to fly out of, but a 2 or so hour drive for me. I think it would be nice to maybe live in a bigger city, never lived in Lexington or Louisville (Louisville has them camero cops that always get me...I have a lead foot apparently) but Kentucky just doesnt seem that diverse at times. Still stuck in the old times, the place I grew up was a Dry County for Goodness Sakes!

I do appreciate the "pristine" of Kentucky and being that I am a Geologist I enjoy being near the longest Cave System in the world, but I think I can do a trade off. I just dont see too much of a future here in Kentucky with its humidity, and mosqitoes and...everything else. Besides, I am a geologist as I said and Kentucky is the only state that is completely mapped! That equals no work for me lol.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 AM

12 posts, read 76,596 times
DESIRE 253, OFF TOPIC, Thank you both. MOREHEAD is defintley in the running,but Louisville is also a good posibilty.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
Wow Herford.. Morehead AND Louisville are so very different.. I mean like WAY total opposites of the spectrum from each other.

Louisville has all the amenities that stx proudly could tell you about, is North Western on the Indiana border... and is a huge area/city with a population nearing one million people....!!!

Morehead is a small town with a state college and has a population of just under 6,000 people and is in the foothills of the appalachian mountians very near the West Virginia border, and is definitely small town, Eastern Kentucky type living... Very different way of life, cost of living, transplants vs. native, and rural vs. big city life.

I would think if you have both of these places in your "running", then you may want to decide what you like better.... progressive, faster-paced much larger city living... or small town, Mayberry, we don't lock our doors and never met a stranger Eastern-Kentucky living!

Mayberry is definitely my idea of heaven.. but what's yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky