Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM

24 posts, read 37,568 times

Advertisements

Just retired from army and searching for a new career. We were living overseas but no job to be found and currently living with family in NC.

My husband has been offered a job in Seoul, Korea but also has opportunites for jobs at Fort Huachuca, AZ; Fort Knox, KY; Orlando, FL and Frankfurt, GE but none of these have yet to offer the job. So we may already have our answer.

Since the army is no longer "sending" us around the world, we now must make the decision where to next. With moving every 2+ years we do not have roots anywhere. We have 3 kids ages 14, 11 and 9, so schools are important. Next military benefits are important especially medical (Tri-Care). Then location, we enjoy culture things, medium size town, use to warmer climates but does not make much difference.

I am posting this on different regions so as to get a wide range of opinions.

Should I move to your state (area) or one of my other choices, why?

Many thanks on a somewhat tought decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM

407 posts, read 1,263,384 times
Well, here is my 2 cents worth on Kentucky. Hubby and I are retiring to Kentucky sometime in 2010 and here is why. The property taxes are cheaper, the utilities are cheaper than other states, the housing costs are cheaper ( can spend 100K on a gorgeous home in KY where the same home will be 500K in another state), the people are friendly (some are a bit overly religious for our taste but there is a strong attitude of live and let live or allow to believe or not believe), there are a gadzillion lakes and fishing holes/ponds, beautiful scenery, fabulous places for amateur photographers like us, hiking trails, horses and other groovey animals, neat festivals, blue grass music, Louisville, lots of history, and good old fashioned home town values. The schools do not have the highest ratings in the country but academics is what you put into it, not the school itself. Oh, and I almost forgot, Kentucky Basketball (not that I give a rip, but hubby does). Did I leave anything out Kentuckians?

Patty

Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrodz View Post
Just retired from army and searching for a new career. We were living overseas but no job to be found and currently living with family in NC.

My husband has been offered a job in Seoul, Korea but also has opportunites for jobs at Fort Huachuca, AZ; Fort Knox, KY; Orlando, FL and Frankfurt, GE but none of these have yet to offer the job. So we may already have our answer.

Since the army is no longer "sending" us around the world, we now must make the decision where to next. With moving every 2+ years we do not have roots anywhere. We have 3 kids ages 14, 11 and 9, so schools are important. Next military benefits are important especially medical (Tri-Care). Then location, we enjoy culture things, medium size town, use to warmer climates but does not make much difference.

I am posting this on different regions so as to get a wide range of opinions.

Should I move to your state (area) or one of my other choices, why?

Many thanks on a somewhat tought decision!
I think you would do well with Fort Knox, KY. The schools in nearby Elizabethtown are pretty good (from local heresay.) The hospitals seem to be pretty decent and there is a VA hospital in Louisville. Everything you want can be found within an hour of Ft. Knox.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 AM

24 posts, read 37,568 times
thanks for your thoughts....just as i expected unfortunately the job position we had has been canceled, not sure why. anyhow, will still continue to search with the huge movement there this year bound to be other positions opening.

ky sounds like a gr8 place to stay put for awhile.....time will tell. THANKS

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
With your ability to spell, you would be a prime candidate for Kentucky residency.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
With your ability to spell, you would be a prime candidate for Kentucky residency.

There is really no excuse for bad manners.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
You are a rude little punk. And to think you blame everyone else for you being miserable. I fully expect this post to be deleted, but I had to say it anyway.

BTW, I could only find one misspelled word, I think the other was a typo. This person has been serving our country overseas and is looking to relocate to KY. Show some respect. You didn't even address the question, you just took a personal stab at someone you don't know who is asking an legitimate and sincere question.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
rnc, you shouldn't talk to Eclectic like that! Don't you know you're supposed to be kind to dumb animals?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM

407 posts, read 1,263,384 times
Now, now children. Let's be nice to each other. We are, after all, all we have. Besides, there but for the grace of God we could all be living in Haiti.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
Well, here is my 2 cents worth on Kentucky. Hubby and I are retiring to Kentucky sometime in 2010 and here is why. The property taxes are cheaper, the utilities are cheaper than other states, the housing costs are cheaper ( can spend 100K on a gorgeous home in KY where the same home will be 500K in another state), the people are friendly (some are a bit overly religious for our taste but there is a strong attitude of live and let live or allow to believe or not believe), there are a gadzillion lakes and fishing holes/ponds, beautiful scenery, fabulous places for amateur photographers like us, hiking trails, horses and other groovey animals, neat festivals, blue grass music, Louisville, lots of history, and good old fashioned home town values. The schools do not have the highest ratings in the country but academics is what you put into it, not the school itself. Oh, and I almost forgot, Kentucky Basketball (not that I give a rip, but hubby does). Did I leave anything out Kentuckians?

Patty
That was a beautiful post! Sums up just how most of us, living in Kentucky or not (I'm in Chicopee, MA) feel about the Bluegrass State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky