Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

poultry processing plant=illegals

True everywherein the US . Why would TN be an exception ?

As I stated in an earlier post, this may or may not be of concern to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,545 times
No Teeth Required, not that it makes your choice between the two any easier.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM

181 posts, read 464,569 times
very interesting about the taxes between the 2 ....so would it be better to buy a new truck in KY if your living in TN ?

and I have all my teeth thank you very much !

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
very interesting about the taxes between the 2 ....so would it be better to buy a new truck in KY if your living in TN ?

and I have all my teeth thank you very much !
The license plate will get you in trouble. One of your neighbors sees the KY plate every day, and realizes what you're doing, but keeps quiet about it. Then, one random day, you do something to annoy him, or he might even get annoyed by a misunderstanding you might not even be aware of. One phone call and you're busted.

It would also cause problems with your insurance company. Telling them a lie about where you park the truck at night can be construed as insurance fraud.

You're aware of course that if you bring a vehicle into a state and register it there, you have to pay use tax on it, which is usually the same as sales tax.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The license plate will get you in trouble. One of your neighbors sees the KY plate every day, and realizes what you're doing, but keeps quiet about it. Then, one random day, you do something to annoy him, or he might even get annoyed by a misunderstanding you might not even be aware of. One phone call and you're busted.

It would also cause problems with your insurance company. Telling them a lie about where you park the truck at night can be construed as insurance fraud.

You're aware of course that if you bring a vehicle into a state and register it there, you have to pay use tax on it, which is usually the same as sales tax.
Well if you bought a truck in KY and paid less in sales tax but registered it in TN and paid their use tax on it, wouldn't that still come out to be less than if you bought the same truck in TN, paid a higher TN sales tax on it and then paid TN's use tax?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Well if you bought a truck in KY and paid less in sales tax but registered it in TN and paid their use tax on it, wouldn't that still come out to be less than if you bought the same truck in TN, paid a higher TN sales tax on it and then paid TN's use tax?
The use tax only applies to something you bring from another state. If you buy it in TN and use it in TN, there is no use tax, just sales tax.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 AM

181 posts, read 464,569 times
sorry for the misunderstanding.....no, I wasn't talking about doing anything illegal. I live in TN now and would register it here . I just meant on as far as saving on taxes would it be cheaper ? You know how some people who live close to the state line shop for food in KY cause thiers no tax on food in KY. Just trying to figure the best way, buy in TN or KY .

Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
Be very careful before you buy. We bought land in manchester ky. We thought we had researched it well enough, but after we moved here we realized we had moved into a very drug infested area. Car insurance is expensive because of a history of people burning their cars to collect the money. The streams and besides the roadways are littered with trash. It would be a beautiful area if it was taken care of. This is a commonwealth state, so if you work for a place that has 200 or more employees , you are charged an occupancy tax for working there, Sounds crazy I know ,but it is true. The prison employees here pay it.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt7777 View Post
Be very careful before you buy. We bought land in manchester ky. We thought we had researched it well enough, but after we moved here we realized we had moved into a very drug infested area. Car insurance is expensive because of a history of people burning their cars to collect the money. The streams and besides the roadways are littered with trash. It would be a beautiful area if it was taken care of. This is a commonwealth state, so if you work for a place that has 200 or more employees , you are charged an occupancy tax for working there, Sounds crazy I know ,but it is true. The prison employees here pay it.
I'm sorry that happened to you. Drug use in Eastern KY is very disappointing and I think so many people use because there is a lot of unemployment and a lot of poverty so people turn to drugs, unfortunately. I also think many people use drugs because a lot of E KY is so isolated it is hard to get caught using. Thats just my opinion. Most of E KY is very beautiful that is very disappointing they don't do a better job of keeping it clean, especially if there is a prison there like you said. They should have the inmates clean the roads.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
I'm sorry that happened to you. Drug use in Eastern KY is very disappointing and I think so many people use because there is a lot of unemployment and a lot of poverty so people turn to drugs, unfortunately. I also think many people use drugs because a lot of E KY is so isolated it is hard to get caught using. Thats just my opinion. Most of E KY is very beautiful that is very disappointing they don't do a better job of keeping it clean, especially if there is a prison there like you said. They should have the inmates clean the roads.
I think that's a fair assessment. I have a few "outlaw" cousins that are still in E KY who are drug abusers. One I was really close to & I know for a fact he's a good kid (well, man now). He would always call me up to talk after he got high & cry on the phone to me about how he hated his life & wished he could just leave. But he never really had many options, his family is kinda poor, he doesnt have much of an education, etc.

Its unfortunate, but I think there are so many people like him that just feel hopeless that they turn to drugs. The poverty, unemployment levels & isolation of the area just make it worse.

For me, living in some urban cities & then going back to visit E KY, its strikingly similar to many problems that an inner city ghetto has. It's just in a different setting with different types of people. Mountains instead of broken down buildings, white teenage mothers on welfare instead of black ones, exotic prescription drugs instead of crack, etc. I know many people are gonna read this & say "that's f'ing BS", but its seriously true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky