Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times

Advertisements

Full article here.

Jim Bunning is single-handedly blocking Senate action needed to prevent an estimated 1.2 million American workers from suddenly losing their unemployment benefits next month. As Democratic senators asked again and again for unanimous consent for a vote on a 30-day extension Thursday night, Bunning refused to go along.

From The Article: And at one point during the debate, which dragged on till nearly midnight, Bunning complained of missing a basketball game.

"I have missed the Kentucky-South Carolina game that started at 9:00," he said, "and it's the only redeeming chance we had to beat South Carolina since they're the only team that has beat Kentucky this year."

Is this guy serious? Who the hell is voting for people like this?? Something to think about next time you go to the polls, Kentuckians. Im not saying you gotta go Dem, but just because they got that "R" after their name doesnt mean you gotta automatically go with them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 AM

55 posts, read 271,992 times
Maybe he's blocking it b/c he realizes that the federal gov't needs to stop spending the taxpayers money like drunken sailors. Or he realized that there is no more money to spend. How many times do you extend unemployment benefits and for how long? 30 days here, 60 days there - it goes on and on. Benefits last 26 weeks with 13 week extention. How much longer should it be? What's the incentive for people to look for employment if they're getting a gov't handout? The well has been bled dry. There is no more money. The American taxpayers have no more to give. Seems to me with all the jobs Obama's stimulus package saved and created, the unemployed should have no problem finding jobs. Oh, that's right. It didn't create any jobs and the only ones it saved were, wait for it, in gov't.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:10 PM

407 posts, read 1,263,384 times
The American tax payers have plenty to give, unfortunately it has been going to Mr Goldman so he can buy his new 2010 yacht. This tax payer would be happy to spend her hard earned money to feed Kentucky families on an unemployment extension, especially since there are at least 60,000 of them.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney72 View Post
Maybe he's blocking it b/c he realizes that the federal gov't needs to stop spending the taxpayers money like drunken sailors. Or he realized that there is no more money to spend. How many times do you extend unemployment benefits and for how long? 30 days here, 60 days there - it goes on and on. Benefits last 26 weeks with 13 week extention. How much longer should it be? What's the incentive for people to look for employment if they're getting a gov't handout? The well has been bled dry. There is no more money. The American taxpayers have no more to give. Seems to me with all the jobs Obama's stimulus package saved and created, the unemployed should have no problem finding jobs. Oh, that's right. It didn't create any jobs and the only ones it saved were, wait for it, in gov't.
I somewhat agree, but the problem with this type of logic is that the priorities are outta whack.

For instance, do you know exactly where your tax money goes?? Probably not. But I can guarantee it goes towards much less important things than keeping food on the table & the electric on for the poor families in KY who have lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. This kind of stuff effects the people you know, the region, & the entire state as a whole.

My point is, why dont you pretend to be outraged about things that actually help no one & do more than good, like this pretend-war on drugs fiasco that costs us $40 Billion a year & has our prisons maxed out to capacity with junkies who need treatment? Or the US thinking it can just occupy any country it wants for however long it wants?? That stuff isnt free you know. But I'm sure you probably dont oppose those, eh. That's the problem with today's Republicans. They're hypocrites.

I'm just saying, get your priorities straight. There's nothing wrong with helping out those who deserve it. Can anyone here honestly say they've never gotten a "hand out" from anyone in their entire life?? Doubt it.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,845 times
Jim Bunning is an arrogant,self absorbed, ignorant fossil of a politician. His best days were throwing no hitters in baseball. How in the hell Kentuckians vote this tool into Congress is a mystery. I guess as long as he pulls for the Wildcats he's alright in everyone's book, even if he votes to end unemployment benefits.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

Is this guy serious? Who the hell is voting for people like this?? Something to think about next time you go to the polls, Kentuckians. Im not saying you gotta go Dem, but just because they got that "R" after their name doesnt mean you gotta automatically go with them either.
Bunning has been out of it for a long long time. He's not running for re-election because he couldn't get enough backing. Talk about people with bats in the belfry? The bats wouldn't even want to stay here!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Bunning has been out of it for a long long time. He's not running for re-election because he couldn't get enough backing. Talk about people with bats in the belfry? The bats wouldn't even want to stay here!
I heard he was nuts, but didnt think he was THIS delusional. I mean, for all the times KY really needs some help, they got a guy like this representing them.

And for him to be worried about missing a god damn UK game while there's families in his state on the verge of destruction is just plain insulting.

Sorry. I read this article & it made me really angry. I know people back home in E KY, good hard working people, who this effects & it kinda touched a nerve.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,384 times
This nutbag has been drooling in his oatmeal for quite some time.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 AM

295 posts, read 973,814 times
People really should stop voting along party lines and make an informed choice about who will do the best job for them.

The reason the jerk done what he did is because he's not running for office this time. He's showing that he cares only for himself and not for the people who elected him.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 AM

55 posts, read 271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I somewhat agree, but the problem with this type of logic is that the priorities are outta whack.

For instance, do you know exactly where your tax money goes?? Probably not. But I can guarantee it goes towards much less important things than keeping food on the table & the electric on for the poor families in KY who have lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. This kind of stuff effects the people you know, the region, & the entire state as a whole.

My point is, why dont you pretend to be outraged about things that actually help no one & do more than good, like this pretend-war on drugs fiasco that costs us $40 Billion a year & has our prisons maxed out to capacity with junkies who need treatment? Or the US thinking it can just occupy any country it wants for however long it wants?? That stuff isnt free you know. But I'm sure you probably dont oppose those, eh. That's the problem with today's Republicans. They're hypocrites.

I'm just saying, get your priorities straight. There's nothing wrong with helping out those who deserve it. Can anyone here honestly say they've never gotten a "hand out" from anyone in their entire life?? Doubt it.

I'm glad to know you can know what is in my heart and mind to make statements such as "get your priorities straight". You don't know me and don't know what my priorities are. Anway, I'll stay on topic - From what I have read and heard, he is blocking it b/c he wants the gov't to pay for the extra 30 days out of the unspent stimulus money that the gov't is holding on to. By the way, that's your money that they have. The gov't - Obama admin and his congress, want to tax additional taxpayer dollars to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky