Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,120,582 times

Advertisements

We have both Amish and Mennonite farms around south central Kentucky. I think most are Mennonites though. There are a lot of farms and some associate businesses in Simpson, Allen, and Logan counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 23,814 times
how far is that/
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlane View Post
Suncoastman

The closest to you would probably be Crab Orchard in Garrard County. The Amish has a community there that has a bulk food store, saw mill, processing plant, produce auction and a few other businesses.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 25,828 times
From Berea to Crab Orchard; 25 miles or so.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,789 times
I'm actually living in south western Indiana, but making a trip to Christian Co. Kentucky. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on amish or mennonite stores, restaurants, or farms that I could visit. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstarnight View Post
I'm actually living in south western Indiana, but making a trip to Christian Co. Kentucky. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on amish or mennonite stores, restaurants, or farms that I could visit. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks!
Pink you don't have to go that far for Amish. Don't know how far down in SW Indiana you are (Evansville, Posey County?) but get on U.S. 60 and go through Union County. Go through Morganfield and Sturgis. After you go through Sullivan you'll enter Crittenden County. At the next little town you go through, Mattoon, turn right at the crossroads. There is a big produce stand on down the road a couple miles. Just about any of the roads on the left side of the road you're on will take you through the Amish. They have signs along side the road telling what they have for sale. 3 or 4 miles down you'll see Mt. Zion Cemetery Road. There are several places on that road and some roads off that one. You can meander through some of those roads and end back up in Marion. A friend of mine stopped at a house to buy some fresh buttermilk. It was in a Gatorade bottle!
You might not want to go down there this week. The Little Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is this weekend. I had to go to Morganfield today and there are already several hundred bikers in the area. Usually 20,000+ bikers in a town of 2000 makes for traffic problems! lol

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 20,486 times
I would love to find some amish to build my house does anyone know how to contact them.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 AM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times
Where are you, Kay?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM

666 posts, read 2,525,166 times
Hey, I lived in Burton, what a small world. At the time, it didn't seem weird, but since I've moved, when I visit its too funny to see hitching posts at Giant Eagle and Walmart. We used to buy furniture from the Amish and have bought a couple of dogs from them too. We had a butcher who I think was Mennonite but he employed many Amish girls. Best meats ever, wish I could remember the name of the place. The first house I lived in when I lived in Burton actually belonged to a man who was going to marry an Amish woman and was converting. I have heard stories about the Amish girls getting a little wild at some of the bars in Middlefield back in the day. Is this true? Does it still happen?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 AM

109 posts, read 810,668 times
Default Hello ex-Burtonite !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Hey, I lived in Burton, what a small world. At the time, it didn't seem weird, but since I've moved, when I visit its too funny to see hitching posts at Giant Eagle and Walmart. We used to buy furniture from the Amish and have bought a couple of dogs from them too. We had a butcher who I think was Mennonite but he employed many Amish girls. Best meats ever, wish I could remember the name of the place. The first house I lived in when I lived in Burton actually belonged to a man who was going to marry an Amish woman and was converting. I have heard stories about the Amish girls getting a little wild at some of the bars in Middlefield back in the day. Is this true? Does it still happen?
Hello mdawg....An ex Buckeye here formerly from the Huntsburg/Middlefield,Ohio area... From 1965-1989. I had my farm originally in Huntsburg, then moved to Middlefield. Used to own & operate the True Value Hardware Store & the Radio Shack Dealership on West High Street in Middlefield. I really hate to see how the 'city' has come to Middlefield. I liked it the way it used to be. It's not the rural lil' town it once was. Easier to shop there now though, with all the stores and fast food places. Even new roads. I visit the are from time tio time as I still have some family in Middlefield & Parkman. Only about a 6 hr. drive from here in Jackson Cty. KY.
Joseph

Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 20,486 times
I live in Jackson ,Mckee Ky. Thats close to Berea or Richmond KY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky