Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,631 times

Advertisements

Yep, another one.

Where you are working
Ft. Knox

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
$150K max.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
1 hr max.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
2 kids, depends on if the public schools are any good.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?

Rural. Very rural.

-Community amenities important to you

Can't think of any.

-Pie or cake?

What kind of pie?

Hello!

My wife and two kids (9 and 11 yo) will possibly be moving to the Ft. Knox area in Summer '10.

We are coming from a very rural area about 2hrs north of St. Louis, MO. We currently live about 10 miles from the closest town, and I commute about 1.5hrs into work everyday. We currently live on about 20 acres of wooded land in a 4 bed/3 bath house with a full basement and 2.5 car attached garage. Our county does not have any zoning regulations and we can keep livestock although all we currently have is 20 laying hens.

Our kids attend the local public schools, which don't have much of a budget, but do have extremely small class sizes which I like. It's a farming community, most people hunt and fish (one thing I will really miss about my current home is the amount of closeby land in addition to my own that is available for me to hunt deer and turkey) 4-H is big, and my son is in Boy Scouts. I'm also one of the BSA adult leaders. We are Catholic, I don't really practice but my wife and kids attend Mass most Sundays. Our hobbies are camping, canoeing and just being outdoors. There are many places near to where we live to do these things.

With my wife having to quit her job (Bank teller) we are taking about a one third cut in income so I don't think we'll be able to afford the kind of acreage we have here, but I would like to live in the same kind of area.

Never having visited (planning a trip soon) the Ft. Knox area, can anyone suggest an area similar to where we are now? We really love it here, and were planning on staying indefinately until this BRAC thing came up.

I was thinking South or East of Knox so were are that much closer to friends and relatives in Missouri.

Thank you all very much for any help you can provide, I'm kind of lost.

MB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
If you want rural, anywhere near brandenburg will be a close drive, you also have rineyville out towards elizabethtown. Lots of rural in both and homes are affordable. I can't comment on the schools.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM

63 posts, read 313,635 times
Look in the Cecilia area and farther out toward Howevalley for acreage similar to what you described. The Hardin County schools are excellent. Central Hardin has the best test scores of the 3 county high schools, and West Hardin the best scores of the middle schools. Look around and you may be surprised at what you can find.

Welcome to Hardin County!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 AM

Thank you both!

I'll take a closer look at Hardin.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Well, I'm here.

Landed on 7 June. Stayed in my camper at Camp Carlson for two months until we got a contract on our MO place (at a loss ) Everything started happening pretty quick at that point and we bought a place here after househunting for all of two days. The kids moved down with me after we closed here so they wouldn't miss anymore school and my Wife stayed in MO to finish packing and dealing with all the stuff on that end. She moved down 31 Aug after watching the movers close the door on the truck.

Our plan had been to rent, but due to the ridiculous rental prices, pet policies and just a general lack of places available in areas that interested us, we decided to buy instead, and buy cheap. We had decided on Meade county because we wanted rural (or at least semi-rural) and we liked the Meade county schools. We ended up buying a singlewide on 2.25 acres close to hwy 60 about 9 miles or so from Knox.

We (well, mostly my wife) are currently staying busy tring to cram the contents of the 4+ bed, 3 bath house on 20 acres we had in MO into a singlewide trailer. As fun as this is, I think we are going to be buying a storage shed. Soon. And this is after leaving all of our appliances and much of our furniture back in MO.

Happy with the schools so far, and the kids are doing well academically although I think it'll take some time for them to find their groove socially. They still really miss their friends and family back in MO.

Haven't had much chance to recreate as of yet, but did take a trip up to Louisville to eat at Joe's Crab Shack to celebrate us all being reunited. Found kind of a neat little neighborhood when we went to check out a canoe/kayak store (River City Canoe & Kayak, canoeing is a favorite hobby of ours and we sold our boats before we moved) that we'll probably investigate further at some point.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM

163 posts, read 428,759 times
Isn't that store on Bardstown Road? If it is the one I'm thinking of, that's the Highlands.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black View Post
Well, I'm here.

Landed on 7 June. Stayed in my camper at Camp Carlson for two months until we got a contract on our MO place (at a loss ) Everything started happening pretty quick at that point and we bought a place here after househunting for all of two days. The kids moved down with me after we closed here so they wouldn't miss anymore school and my Wife stayed in MO to finish packing and dealing with all the stuff on that end. She moved down 31 Aug after watching the movers close the door on the truck.

Our plan had been to rent, but due to the ridiculous rental prices, pet policies and just a general lack of places available in areas that interested us, we decided to buy instead, and buy cheap. We had decided on Meade county because we wanted rural (or at least semi-rural) and we liked the Meade county schools. We ended up buying a singlewide on 2.25 acres close to hwy 60 about 9 miles or so from Knox.

We (well, mostly my wife) are currently staying busy tring to cram the contents of the 4+ bed, 3 bath house on 20 acres we had in MO into a singlewide trailer. As fun as this is, I think we are going to be buying a storage shed. Soon. And this is after leaving all of our appliances and much of our furniture back in MO.

Happy with the schools so far, and the kids are doing well academically although I think it'll take some time for them to find their groove socially. They still really miss their friends and family back in MO.

Haven't had much chance to recreate as of yet, but did take a trip up to Louisville to eat at Joe's Crab Shack to celebrate us all being reunited. Found kind of a neat little neighborhood when we went to check out a canoe/kayak store (River City Canoe & Kayak, canoeing is a favorite hobby of ours and we sold our boats before we moved) that we'll probably investigate further at some point.
Happy you made it to Ft. Knox. I can relate to the moving pains (we came from HRC Alexandria). Our house in Vine Grove was nearly a month late in completion. A hotel room starts to get old after 3 weeks in it (we stayed at Wickham on Ft. Knox after a couple of weeks at Comfort in E-Town.) Then there is my job issue but I do start orientation for a temp job next week and waiting on a decision for a permanent one.

Moving with kids is never easy but as with any military area they won't be the only transplants in school. Glad you made it here.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:40 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Glad that you are finding sucess. I remember you had even considered southern Indiana and glad that you settled on Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky