Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM

153 posts, read 937,081 times

Advertisements

I realize that it's a pretty small town population wise, but it seems close to other larger cities like Paris and Winchester and only half an hour from Lexington.

Has anyone been there? Was it nice? Do they have a downtown there with shops and such? A Walmart? Or is it pretty much dead because if the low population?

There an awesome property there and I'm trying to decide if it's worth moving that far away from Lexington. Granted 30 minutes isn't a huge drive, but it's not right around the corner either.

Any input on this town would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
I have family in Bourbon County and been to North Middletown many times, there's nothing there. A couple of mom & pop grocery stores that sell the basic necessities, gas station and post office and that's it. It's not really a town but just a small community, nearest shopping is Paris or Winchester. Paris is a small town that don't have a lot of shopping but they do have a super wal-mart, Winchester has a little more for shopping.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. Does it look like it might be growing though?

I know a lot of tiny towns like that here in Michigan are suddenly sprouting shopping centers and new developments, where previously there was just farmland. Have you heard about anything like that happening eventually for N Middletown? Maybe in the next five years or so?

Also, what would classify it class-wise? Low class? Middle class? High class with a horse mansions everywhere?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 AM

I first visited North Middletown in 1983 and it hasn't changed any since then, it really has no way of expanding, it's surrounded by farms that have been owned by families for generations. There are some mansions around the area on horse farms, a lot of the people in that area work on the horse farms, some also own cattle farms along with tobacco growers. I don't think North Middletown will ever be more than it currently is, the horse people own that part of the country.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
I don't know if North Middletown itself will grow, but it is between Paris and Mt. Sterling, with Winchester to the south. That's a nice location if you want to live in a beautiful country setting and have fairly easy access to grocery shopping, etc. Paris is growing, the Super Walmart just opened, and (ta-da!) there is a Starbucks next to it which will open within the next few weeks. I noticed that several fast food type places are suddenly sprouting up, so apparently someone out there thinks the area is expanding. And the four lane pike is planned to expand all the way up to Carlisle, the entire area should see growth in the next ten years.

Mt. Sterling has a Kroger, Super Walmart, JC Penney, Applebees etc so it has some amenities as well. Personally, I love the road that runs into North Middletown (Rt. 460)....whenver I have visitors, I take them for a drive along it, past Stonerside and the other farms...it's quintessential Kentucky .

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM

I agree Toria that the country setting around that area is beautiful, I looked at some property near North Middletown last year. I know Paris was fighting Wal-Mart about building the Supercenter there, they didn't want it because Bourbon County is owned and run by*old money* so to speak. I know some of the money people around Paris.

My wife and I always went to Mt.Sterling for Court Day every year, then we moved to Florida and missed it the last several years. The four lane from Lexington to Paris is the best thing ever happened to that area, I drove that old two lane many times over the years and hated that road..LOL.. Next time you have visitors take them on a tour of Claiborne Farm there's a lot of history there, I know the Hancock family quite well there.

So getting back to folks moving there, anyone that likes a nice quiet beautiful rural setting, Bourbon County has some nice ones. And not a bad drive to Lexington for work either with the new four lane highway.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. It sounds like a lovely area. I'm not too thrilled with having to drive 15 minutes to get to the store, I do that now and it's a pain. I wanted to be right in Lexington when I moved.

But I guess that's the trade off for living near pretty horse farms and nice scenery. And having a lower house payment than you would closer to Lex.

I'm waiting to hear back from the mortgage gal to see if I'm approved. And if i am...I guess I'll be moving to North Middletown! Cross you fingers for me!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:55 PM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
Coffeeadict, that's great - hope all goes well for you! It's a beautiful area...

Jim - we did indeed tour Claiborne recently when a friend stayed with us for a week (along with several other farms). You're right, as they are the nicest people there....and the farm is gorgeous. Incredible history, and the horse cemetery is amazing...Nasrullah, Bold Ruler, Gallant Fox, Riva Ridge, Secretariat, Mr. Prospector and many more all buried there - wow! We even got to pat Monarchos and have our pictures taken with him....probably the only time I'll ever get to stand next to a Kentucky Derby winner, LOL !
I look forward to going back again sometime....

Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 PM

CoffeeAddict, fingers crossed..lol.. hope everything works out for you. I'm sure you will like the area, when you get there take a tour around Bourbon County. There's a lot of history in that county and some beautiful areas also.

Toria, glad you enjoyed your tour of Claibourne, isn't that old farm awesome?
It's the oldest active thoroughbred operation in the nation. Those names bring back some good memories, my wife's cousin ( Bill Shoemaker) (The Shoe as the other jockeys nicknamed him) got me interested in horse racing many years ago. Race horses are one of my passions..LOL.. My wife and I are thinking of selling our place here in TN and moving to KY, and Bourbon County is a possibility. We both really like that area a lot, so who knows we may just end up there..lol..

Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM

88 posts, read 383,350 times
It's in Bourbon County, near Paris. I wouldn't live anywhere near there if you paid me. So, it has to suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky