U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2006, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,556 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Western Kentucky (near Princeton). We do not know anything about the area except that we have found some land online that looks nice. We would like advice on jobs and if this is a nice area to live or are there better places farther west? We like to hunt (deer) so this is a big factor. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 04:52 PM

4,817 posts, read 9,763,459 times
Hi

I grew up nearby in Madisonville KY, which is about 30 miles or so northeast of Princeton in Hopkins County. Princeton is in Caldwell county. I have been by Princeton while travellilng along the Western Kentucky Parkway many a times, but have never been in town. But since I grew up in the area and my parents still live there I can let you know about the area in general. Pretty rural area overall is western Kentucky. Princeton is quite small, dont know the pop off-hand but you can look that up, but it is the county seat. There is some shopping there, but not much. I cannot recall if there is a WalMart there or not...if not Madisonville has more shopping and Paducah about 45 minutes west has lots of shopping too. My sister and family live near Kuttawa Kentucky which is just southwest of Princeton, near the Land Between the Lakes. If you love fishing and hunting you are in the right area. I might suggest looking a bit farther west for land in the Kuttawa and Eddyville areas (Lyon county - county next door) as land very near the lakes could be available.

But overall if you want outdoors, fairly woodsy life then you are in the right area. Definitely not big city stuff to do at all. As for jobs, pretty tough, with the exception of service industry. I dont know of any large plants, etc in the area. Most people make just enough for a comfortable living, you wont see real rich folks nor extreme poverty. This part of KY while woodsy with rolling hills is not mountainous like the eastern part of the state.

There is one school district which serves the area Caldwell county schools. I also believe the area is "dry"....meaning no bars or anything like that.

hope this is helpful.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:50 PM

76 posts, read 316,436 times
Default Fish & Deer abound in Cadiz

I live in Cadiz and it is beautiful. Fish & Deer abound.
We have Barkley Lake and close to Kentucky Lake.
Check out removed
If your looking for a house or land I might be able to help you with some information.

Last edited by Marka; 08-18-2006 at 06:53 AM..

Old 08-25-2006, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,556 times
Default area is beautiful

I live in Providence; have lived in a few other states and want to let you know I just love it. I get in my car and in a few minutes am awed by the countryside. I do want to contradict another poster when he said most people here make a comfortable living, no rich, no poor. Not true. There is an abundance of the poor in the small towns. A few rich. The only thing around here to make a "comfortable living" is the mines. Many other working poor work in the stores, for local governments etc, but that is one of the things that keep some of the cost of living low. The utility bills in some of the cities are larger in the winter than a house payment in a big city (Atlanta, Jacksonville). But most of the people are great once you get used to things. Hunting and fishing are huge of course, and chances are when you meet someone new they will ask you which church you go to and who's your family. There is a Wal Mart in princeton. Good luck

Old 08-28-2006, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 9,328 times
We are looking to move to Kentucky from Las Vegas Nevada.
We have been looking at Lewisport near Owensboro. Is there anyone who can give me any information on Lewisport? How is the work there etc...?
My husband is in the constucion business (block, brick & stone mason)
I have read places people are recommending and have yet to read anything on Lewisport

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me

Old 08-28-2006, 05:29 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,123,225 times
Default Lewisport

Lewisport is a small town located on the Ohio River in northwestern Kentucky. It's a beautiful place, although since US Hwy 60 bypassed most of of the town in the late 1960's, Lewisport lost a bit of its main street importantance as a town on the main road between Louisville and Owensboro. Work should be steady as the area is generally agriculturally oriented with some 20-30 years old aluminum manufacturing & support.

[cut]

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:54 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,827 times
where do you find housing in Providence. I can't find a site anywhere that tells me about the housing market. I currently live in Indiana

Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,827 times
my email is chosen57@yahoo.com. Where do you find housing in Providence Kentucky?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM

985 posts, read 1,976,143 times
Madisonville appears to be closest larger city. Try searching for the Madisonville KY Chamber of Commerce and checking their membership directory--you'll find 18 companies listed, one of which is in Providence. So as not to hijack this thread, try a new post if you have any additional questions about Providence--doing so will bring your question to the attention of many people who would otherwise miss it.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,980,219 times
FYI Folks ... the OP has made only 1 post and it was nearly a year ago ... I'm going to go out on a limb and say they not reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky