Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
You say coal hasn't brought anything to the areas where it's at. Take a drive over to Western Kentucky and drive down Main Street in Greenville, Kentucky. It's the county seat of Muhlenberg County and the city is experiencing a renaissance in its downtown. How you may ask? A little thing call Coal Severance Money. It, along with a healthy grant, have helped clean it's downtown up and their still working on it. There are plenty of reclaimed stirpmine land in Muhlenberg County that rate as some of the best fishing and hunting tracts in the state. You've got to get your facts straight and quite taking everything the goof balls at Kentuckians For The Commonwealth and Green Peace, as the one and true "Gospel". Reason I say that is half their "stats" are made up lies about an industry that has been the life-blood of a state for years.
Now talk about Eastern KY. If thats "the land that coal built", then damn. One of the most impoverished & least healthy areas in the entire country. I'd say someone got ripped off, wouldnt you.

If you know halfway what you claim to know, you & I both know that coal is dying in this area. I cant even tell you how many companies have closed up & how many people are out of a job nowadays. Its immense. The area has gambled away their future's with it & if they dont move forward & get other industry in there, they're basically gonna be left unemployed with their land torn to shreds.

So you think thats being better off?? Yeah, tell us another one.

Last edited by KerryB; 07-25-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM

17 posts, read 60,221 times
Everone is saying that Detroit is the way it is because of the auro industry.

It was that way when the auto industry was at it's peak.

It has been that way since the 1967 riot and has never turned around.

The auto industry wasn't just in Detroit. It is all over Michigan.

Those communities didn't become like Detroit.

Take a look at this video about the 1967 riot.

I guess this is because of the auro industry too.

1967 Detroit Riot

Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Gossamer, have you never been to Flint, Grand Rapids (a shell of its former self but more successful as it diversified its economy), or any of the other manufacturing centers?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 AM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Everone is saying that Detroit is the way it is because of the auro industry.

It was that way when the auto industry was at it's peak.

It has been that way since the 1967 riot and has never turned around.

The auto industry wasn't just in Detroit. It is all over Michigan.

Those communities didn't become like Detroit.

Take a look at this video about the 1967 riot.

I guess this is because of the auro industry too.

1967 Detroit Riot
Sure, the auto industry was all over Michigan, I'll give you that. There was a lot here in Ohio too. The problem with Detroit is that most of it's economy was based on the auto industry. They don't call Detroit Motor City for nothing. Detroit needs to attract more of a variety of businesses and industry.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
Sure, the auto industry was all over Michigan, I'll give you that. There was a lot here in Ohio too. The problem with Detroit is that most of it's economy was based on the auto industry. They don't call Detroit Motor City for nothing. Detroit needs to attract more of a variety of businesses and industry.
I agree. No city or region should paint themselves into a corner & be so reliant on ONE industry. Its suicide.

What happens when more cities get better & better public transportation & start driving less? Which is what needs to happen, we're WAY behind on this compared to other modern countries & WAY too reliant on our cars as it is. Our cities are becoming nothing but roads of grid locked cars with one person to each car. That can't last.

Same as with E KY & the coal industry. What happens when that dries up & we move to cleaner forms of energy? I mean, its gonna happen & it needs to happen. But because they don't want to move forward with new industry & learn some new tricks, they fight it simply for their own gains & not what needs to be done as a whole.

You die hard coal supporters know I'm right. I'm just saying guys, you better get moving with some other industries before its too late. Just look at what Eastern TN has done for themselves & try to copy some of that.

If not, I dunno what to tell you but to go look at some other regions that held on to dying industries too tight. They're ghost towns now.

Last edited by KerryB; 08-08-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 4,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
You say coal hasn't brought anything to the areas where it's at. Take a drive over to Western Kentucky and drive down Main Street in Greenville, Kentucky. It's the county seat of Muhlenberg County and the city is experiencing a renaissance in its downtown. How you may ask? A little thing call Coal Severance Money. It, along with a healthy grant, have helped clean it's downtown up and their still working on it. There are plenty of reclaimed stirpmine land in Muhlenberg County that rate as some of the best fishing and hunting tracts in the state. You've got to get your facts straight and quite taking everything the goof balls at Kentuckians For The Commonwealth and Green Peace, as the one and true "Gospel". Reason I say that is half their "stats" are made up lies about an industry that has been the life-blood of a state for years.
Try to find such a thing in Southeastern Kentucky...

Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
I haven't read this whole thread, but as to the original post, no. I would never want to see what has happened in Austin, TX happen to cities in Kentucky. High property taxes, ridiculously high home prices, and a population explosion to contend with. Quality of life hasn't improved, it's gotten worse. I've lived here 46 years, so I have a house purchased long ago that many newcomers couldn't afford today, but soon may not be able to afford the property taxes. I might add that it's a relatively modest house by Kentucky standards. It's about balance...have enough industry for jobs, but not so much growth that it makes you want to leave and prices you out of a place.

Last edited by capcat; 01-05-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraLee View Post
Try to find such a thing in Southeastern Kentucky...
We get coal severance money in Eastern Kentucky, but, we have to give it back even before we get it...they need a new basketball court in Lexington. I know, I know....we'll benefit from it too . Sure we will .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky