Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraLee View Post
I dream of Kentucky growing by becoming a food, wine, eco-adventure place with some green industry thrown in. I would like to see in Southeastern Kentucky organic production of specialty crops, honey, old strip mined places planted with grapes to fuel a wine industry that fuels a food industry that fuels a tourist industry. I would like to see some charming design of small lodges for tourists, and see the small towns get rid of the fast food industry. I dream of a time when Big Coal loses its power to dominate. It certainly has not brought prosperity to the area so it is time to change. I would like for the people in the area to learn their history and why they talk like they do. It comes from Middle English... many of the words do. Instead of people making fun, they should learn the history... instead of people feeling defensive or bad about themselves, they need to learn their history. The schools have not done a good job. I had to go to college and end up in a Shakespeare course taught by a Professor from England to learn that the way my father spoke was descended directly from Middle English (Shakespearean English). It is a distinct dialect. We should be taught the history so we and others can understand and respect the unique way we speak. I dream of so much for Southeastern Kentucky.
You dont work at the zoo do you? I work with a Dora Lee at the zoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraLee View Post
I dream of Kentucky growing by becoming a food, wine, eco-adventure place with some green industry thrown in. I would like to see in Southeastern Kentucky organic production of specialty crops, honey, old strip mined places planted with grapes to fuel a wine industry that fuels a food industry that fuels a tourist industry. I would like to see some charming design of small lodges for tourists, and see the small towns get rid of the fast food industry. I dream of a time when Big Coal loses its power to dominate. It certainly has not brought prosperity to the area so it is time to change. I would like for the people in the area to learn their history and why they talk like they do. It comes from Middle English... many of the words do. Instead of people making fun, they should learn the history... instead of people feeling defensive or bad about themselves, they need to learn their history. The schools have not done a good job. I had to go to college and end up in a Shakespeare course taught by a Professor from England to learn that the way my father spoke was descended directly from Middle English (Shakespearean English). It is a distinct dialect. We should be taught the history so we and others can understand and respect the unique way we speak. I dream of so much for Southeastern Kentucky.
I'd actually like to see a distilling/wine operation in KY, that'd be awesome!

On that note, if the golden triangle (Lex-Lville-Cinci) exploded, I'd only pray they learn how to develop a city the RIGHT way (think Chicago-NYC style mass transit, grid layout with freeways to the major commerce centers, rather than circling 5-10 miles outside of them) and keep the economy diversified.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 PM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Actually, there is a winery in South Central Ky. A friend got me a bottle of wonderful blue berry wine. The stuff was yummy.

A winery would be nice in Southeastern Ky but there is only one problem. For the most part, Southeatern Ky is dry territory, which I don't agree with but that's another thread.

Edited to add that I don't think a boom is very good for any area. For every boom, there is a bust.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovintexas View Post
Say, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, etc.

I've seen several posters ask questions about why is Kentucky seemingly overlooked, or why is Louisville seemingly overlooked.

Would you rather see Kentucky as it is--growing slowly but not straining its infrastructure--or busting out the seams with newcomers (and trying to keep up with newly needed infrastructure)?

In other words, would you like to see a metropolis of Louisville-Lexington with 5 million+ people, kind of like Atlanta-Athens in Georgia? Let's say Louisville is the main component of this sprawl, with a much larger airport than it currently has, and twice as many people living inside the Gene Snyder as currently do. Housing prices become double of what they are now, like in metro Atlanta. Shelbyville becomes Conyers; La Grange becomes Marietta; all the way out in Lawrenceburg, it becomes like Gainesville. (Obviously, these are simulated comparisons.) Lexington becomes a liberal city and a much larger version of Athens. 14-18 lane freeways (and congestion,) huge malls, huge box stores, convention centers abound.

I know this is kind of a weird question. I'm neither a proponent nor opponent of Kentucky going this route. Kentucky is its own state, and we as Kentuckians should guide the course of our future.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to some interesting, thoughtful answers!
A boom would not be good for Kentucky. I've been here a week and think that the state has a lot of natural beauty. I would never want to see it be destroyed in favor of chain resturants and cookie-cutter subdivisions. For crying out loud that is why I wanted to get the out of Northern Virginia so bad. I very much like how the Ft. Knox area is configured. It has all the retail you need on 31W but it has a fair supply of new homes and older charming homes depending on your preferences anywhere completely off 31W. There are no real traffic issues and plenty of green space. Why screw that up by turning Kentucky into another Raleigh or Atlanta?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:16 AM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
A boom would not be good for Kentucky. I've been here a week and think that the state has a lot of natural beauty. I would never want to see it be destroyed in favor of chain resturants and cookie-cutter subdivisions. For crying out loud that is why I wanted to get the out of Northern Virginia so bad. I very much like how the Ft. Knox area is configured. It has all the retail you need on 31W but it has a fair supply of new homes and older charming homes depending on your preferences anywhere completely off 31W. There are no real traffic issues and plenty of green space. Why screw that up by turning Kentucky into another Raleigh or Atlanta?
I totally agree with you about the "boom" and also that Kentucky is a beautiful area created, IMO, by God Himself. But, something needs to be done about the employment situation in the area, especially in Southeastern Kentucky. I don't know what the answer would be for that, wish I did. Maybe a mixture of Adventure tourism along with manufacturing jobs?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 60,221 times
As Kentucky grows so do the different races of people. The same races that made Detroit the hell hole it is.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
couldnt agree more.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I'd rather see our vast areas of poverty improve instead of simply having more rich people move in from out of state. I'm no fan of those Sun Belt states that put no emphasis on education or poverty but spend all of their time luring in white collar jobs from the NorthEast. I admire those Midwestern states that have tiny poverty rates and excellent overall health. They may not have the population growth of the SB states but they do take care of their own people.

Now in all honest I don't ever see Kentucky being a boom state because of our awful problems with poor health (mental and physical), anti education culture, and high income tax rates due to those things and the fact that a lot of healthy Kentuckians simply refuse to work. We have an inherent culture problem similar to that which plagues many inner city areas.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
I totally agree with you about the "boom" and also that Kentucky is a beautiful area created, IMO, by God Himself. But, something needs to be done about the employment situation in the area, especially in Southeastern Kentucky. I don't know what the answer would be for that, wish I did. Maybe a mixture of Adventure tourism along with manufacturing jobs?
I think a diversity of jobs would be a good idea. Some white-collar jobs for college-grads in most areas so they don't bail out of state upon graduation, some blue-collar jobs for non-college bound folks.

Of course, the state needs to change its culture on education like censusdata mentioned. Virginia and Maryland are proof that great education pays off in new jobs and not all that is in the DC area like some there believe.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
As Kentucky grows so do the different races of people. The same races that made Detroit the hell hole it is.
The dying auto industry made Detroit the h%#$ hole it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky